U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,483,907 times
Reputation: 5401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Nope and nope. BosWash ends exactly at the Potomac River... Virginia is dixie.
I would make a small exception for Northern Virginia since it is part of the DC suburbs. You being a DC native should know that area is feels a lot different than the rest of the state.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-24-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,096,717 times
Reputation: 609
That guy is a little to serious, saying ma'am and sir and not necessarily country either im from Oakland people say ma'am and sir alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,094,645 times
Reputation: 426
I'm sticking with the widely accepted definition - it extends from the northern suburbs of Boston to the southern suburbs of DC (including NoVA). Richmond is certainly not included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Reputation: 14678
Core
Manchester, NH
Nashua, NH
Boston, MA
Worcester, MA
Springfield, MA
Providence, RI
Hartford, CT
New Haven, CT
Bridgeport, CT
Stamford, CT
New York, NY
Newburgh/Poughkeepsie, NY
Jersey City, NJ
Newark, NJ
Trenton, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Allentown/Bethlehem, PA
Reading, PA
Wilmington, DE
Baltimore, MD
Frederick, MD
Annapolis, MD
Washington, DC
Arlington, VA
Fredericksburg, VA

Satellites
Portland, ME
Concord, NH
Pittsfield, MA
Albany, NY
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Lancaster, PA
York, PA
Dover, DE
Hagerstown, MD
Richmond, VA

Fringe
Augusta, ME
Binghamton, NY
Williamsport, PA
State College, PA
Altoona, PA
Cumberland, MD
Ocean City, MD
Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,058,899 times
Reputation: 1236
I would say BosWash is characterized mainly by I-95 and stretches crook Portland to Norfolk. I hear the culture argument for why certain parts of VA shouldn't be part of BosWash. I think most would agree that the culture in Boston is different than the culture in Baltimore. But, if you look at this from an economic standpoint, you can see that Ports dominate BosWash. Norfolk, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York have dominate ports. Richmond also has a Fed Reserve Bank. Of course several cities not in the area do, but I think that adds to the economic DNA of the region as being a financial service Mecca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,149,114 times
Reputation: 7075
The BosWash looks awesome at night if you look out the window while flying on an airplane heading northbound, looking to your left. It's just a 400-mile stretch of lights, highways, buildings, interchanges and beltways. It's a marvel to look at and nothing else in the country compares to it, as far as night aerial viewing goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM
 
21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Nope and nope. BosWash ends exactly at the Potomac River... Virginia is dixie.
That's the most ridiculous comment on this thread. So the high tech corridor in Northern Virginia extending out to Dulles Airport and beyond is removed from the DC metro because of a river? That's like saying Northern New Jersey isn't part of the NY metro area because you have to cross the Hudson River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM
 
735 posts, read 952,416 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
That guy is a little to serious, saying ma'am and sir and not necessarily country either im from Oakland people say ma'am and sir alot.
That's because the West Coast was filled up by the Second Great Migration from the South.

Unlike on the East Coast, where there was already a dominant "East Coast" culture (and yet people still said "sir" and "ma'am" at one point), they were not forced to adapt to any dominant urban culture and thus were able to keep more of their Southern culture intact.

It's basic history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
 
735 posts, read 952,416 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It is the Boston CSA to the DC CSA, and all other CSAs located along the I-95 corridor between those points. Effectively, each CSA merges with the next, which is why it's considered to be a megalopolis. So Portland is part of it, as is NOVA, but I wouldn't describe it as running from Portland to NOVA.

It is one of the largest urban conglomerations in the world both in terms of area and population.
Agreed. Exactly.

The reason Portland and other New England cities aren't in the "core" in my opinion but are a part of it is because of the way Boston is pretty much the "capital" of New England, the same way "New York" is the capital of the area from Northern NJ to Connecticut and even Rhode Island, and Philadelphia is obviously the capital of the area that stretches from Eastern Central PA, Eastern PA, and Southeastern PA down to Northern and Central Delaware and up from Southern to Central NJ. Where it gets complicated is below Philadelphia because Baltimore would be the capital of its region but then DC was created and thus it now is the capital, but only of the area nearest to it, while Baltimore still has its own smaller metro it influences. Personally, I could see Baltimore's influence stretching to Southern and Central Delaware if Baltimore ever again becomes the major city it used to be.

As was said earlier, it's the ONLY Megalopolis in the US, and that's because each metro does stretch into each other metro, yet each region is distinct and unique from the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,058,899 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Agreed. Exactly.

The reason Portland and other New England cities aren't in the "core" in my opinion but are a part of it is because of the way Boston is pretty much the "capital" of New England, the same way "New York" is the capital of the area from Northern NJ to Connecticut and even Rhode Island, and Philadelphia is obviously the capital of the area that stretches from Eastern Central PA, Eastern PA, and Southeastern PA down to Northern and Central Delaware and up from Southern to Central NJ. Where it gets complicated is below Philadelphia because Baltimore would be the capital of its region but then DC was created and thus it now is the capital, but only of the area nearest to it, while Baltimore still has its own smaller metro it influences. Personally, I could see Baltimore's influence stretching to Southern and Central Delaware if Baltimore ever again becomes the major city it used to be.

As was said earlier, it's the ONLY Megalopolis in the US, and that's because each metro does stretch into each other metro, yet each region is distinct and unique from the others.
I agree with everything you say except the last part. BosWash may be the most dominant megalopolis but it's not the only one. But we do agree on the areas in the BosWash corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top