Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I agree with everything you say except the last part. BosWash may be the most dominant megalopolis but it's not the only one. But we do agree on the areas in the BosWash corridor.
It is though. It's impossible to ever create another Megalopolis. The only reason the Bos-Wash one exists is because it formed largely when the US consisted of only a tiny part of larger states like New York and PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
It is though. It's impossible to ever create another Megalopolis. The only reason the Bos-Wash one exists is because it formed largely when the US consisted of only a tiny part of larger states like New York and PA.
There were roughly 9 other megalopolis areas in the USA. SoCal, NorCal, Cascadia, Great Lakes, Phoenix-Tucson, SoFlo, Piedmont Atlantic, Texas Triangle, and the Gulf Coast.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
There were roughly 9 other megalopolis areas in the USA. SoCal, NorCal, Cascadia, Great Lakes, Phoenix-Tucson, SoFlo, Piedmont Atlantic, Texas Triangle, and the Gulf Coast.
I'm sorry but the BosWash is in a league of its own. None of those compare to it

Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm sorry but the BosWash is in a league of its own. None of those compare to it
I agree. But the question is not can they compare, but do they exist. If you read my earlier posts, I state that the BosWash is the most dominant in the US. But I was responding to the fact if other megalopolis exist in the USA. Using the BosWash as the example I believe there are nine others and several academicians agree.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
UDResident saying sir and ma'am is certainly not a southern thing. People in Philly, Baltimore, D.C. and alot of ethnic neighborhoods in NY (my family in Jamaica Quenns) say it its a respect thing not a southern thing!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM

149 posts, read 261,247 times
again I dont get how virgina is a part of the boswash. in hampton roads we touch north carolina. the people in these areas talk just like people in north carolina. the problem is we are a cul de sac. we are not culturally connected to the northeast. people may move north for $$ reason, or we may have northerners moving south for retirement or to raise their kids in a more stable area but most natives have nothing in common in with boswash people. the people in the boswash talk differently. even though they may be different accents, to me they all sound kind of like new yorkers to me and that includes dc people. there is no way in hell richmond and hampton roads are more connected to boston or any new england area, nyc, nj,, philly or bmore than they are to north carolina. i would say north carolina and dc influence are about equal, with dc having more influence in richmond and north carolina having more influence in hampton roads or hampton roads having more influence in nc.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Those are not full fledged megalopolis areas, but "emerging areas". Most of them have gaps that in the best case scenario might be filled in the next 50 years and some of them might never be filled at all.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
again I dont get how virgina is a part of the boswash. in hampton roads we touch north carolina. the people in these areas talk just like people in north carolina. the problem is we are a cul de sac. we are not culturally connected to the northeast. people may move north for $$ reason, or we may have northerners moving south for retirement or to raise their kids in a more stable area but most natives have nothing in common in with boswash people. the people in the boswash talk differently. even though they may be different accents, to me they all sound kind of like new yorkers to me and that includes dc people. there is no way in hell richmond and hampton roads are more connected to boston or any new england area, nyc, nj,, philly or bmore than they are to north carolina. i would say north carolina and dc influence are about equal, with dc having more influence in richmond and north carolina having more influence in hampton roads or hampton roads having more influence in nc.
Only NoVA (the DC metro area) is a part of the BosWash corridor. I'm talking about Arlington, Alexandria, etc. here - Richmond is not part of NoVA.

Southern influence definitely dominates in other places in Virginia except maybe for the far northwest counties which have more in common with the northern third or so of West Virginia, which I consider somewhat Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.