U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,054 times
Reputation: 1264

Advertisements

So what is the nickname for the Piedmont/I-85 Corridor that stretches from Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
112 posts, read 253,706 times
Reputation: 42
Hi guy"s i think you start to be exagerated The corridor means I-95 Period: From boston metro to entire nova. the key point is I-95.
Concerning I-85 is a great question for now trere is no nickname but I can baptize by the name of Mecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
112 posts, read 253,706 times
Reputation: 42
I f you're talking about the global market I think it could be a good idea to include Quebec City And Montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
So what is the nickname for the Piedmont/I-85 Corridor that stretches from Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham?
The Piedmont Megalopolis...actually from Birmingham to Raleigh, including Atlanta, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, and Durham. It also loosely includes Columbia, Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, Columbus, and Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 PM
 
11 posts, read 14,557 times
Reputation: 13
Bos/Was is really synomous for Megalopolis.

Megalopis is really DC CSA to BOS CSA.
This includes the inland spur markets of Hartford and Springfield.

A general rule of thumb would be the Appalachian Mountains form the border...roughly.
I would NOT consider West Maryland to be part of Megalopolis...it is Appalachia.
I would consider Southern Maine...but nothing more.

I don't think you can say Fredericksburg is the end...because Fredericksburg is really just a small suburb that has sprawled.
I think in the next 20 years the Richmond and DC suburbs will overlap so much so...megalopolis is going to extend to Richmond and Tidewater.

However...I would agree Richmond and Norfolk BOTH are southern.
DC is mid-atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
 
11 posts, read 14,557 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
There's pracitcally nothingbetween Richmond and DC after PWC. It's a dramatic disconnect and cultural shift. Remember Newark (DE) and Wilmington are between Balt. and Philly.
Newark and Wilmington are PHILLY.
They have the SEPTA line there, they are both MUCH closer to Philly and Philly being TWICE or MORE greater in size has the pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,556 posts, read 3,842,963 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcastle View Post
Bos/Was is really synomous for Megalopolis.

Megalopis is really DC CSA to BOS CSA.
This includes the inland spur markets of Hartford and Springfield.

A general rule of thumb would be the Appalachian Mountains form the border...roughly.
I would NOT consider West Maryland to be part of Megalopolis...it is Appalachia.
I would consider Southern Maine...but nothing more.

I don't think you can say Fredericksburg is the end...because Fredericksburg is really just a small suburb that has sprawled.
I think in the next 20 years the Richmond and DC suburbs will overlap so much so...megalopolis is going to extend to Richmond and Tidewater.

However...I would agree Richmond and Norfolk BOTH are southern.
DC is mid-atlantic.
Richmond and Hampton Roads are about to start touching each other.

I think we should create a CSA? 1.8M in Norfolk and 1.2M in Richmond= 3M CSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcastle View Post
I would NOT consider West Maryland to be part of Megalopolis...it is
Nobody usually considers Eastern or Western Maryland as part of the Bos Wash or Bal/Wash areas. Hagerstown sometimes though, and Frederick usually, although it isn't completely built in between DC and Frederick. Frederick lies in the foothills of the Appalachians and Hagerstown within the appalachians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,054 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Piedmont Megalopolis...actually from Birmingham to Raleigh, including Atlanta, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, and Durham. It also loosely includes Columbia, Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, Columbus, and Fayetteville.

I tend to agree to an extent. The only thing is that it's not very urban between the western fringes of metro Atlanta and the eastern fringes of Birmingham, however, it does make sense in the scheme of things, as their still relatively close to each other.

I think Fayetteville is more Coastal Plain than Piedmont, but YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,054 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Richmond and Hampton Roads are about to start touching each other.

I think we should create a CSA? 1.8M in Norfolk and 1.2M in Richmond= 3M CSA

I dunno. It seems like the Peninsula barely wants to have anything to do with the Southside and vice-versa (I have family in the Seven Cities). I can't see them uniting with Richmond-Petersburg anytime soon.

But I've always thought Williamsburg was sort of the midway point between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top