U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,277,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
^ Actually Amtrak includes Richmond, Williamsburg & Newport News in their Northeast Corridor Train Schedule now

Amtrak Routes and Schedules
That's becuase a handful of Northeast Regionals continue to Virginia, the vast majority of them terminate in DC though. It's still not part of the route defined as the electrified, high-speed "Northeast Corridor" from Boston to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
That's becuase a handful of Northeast Regionals continue to Virginia, the vast majority of them terminate in DC though. It's still not part of the route defined as the electrified, high-speed "Northeast Corridor" from Boston to DC.
But as I said that may change in the future.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,841,493 times
Boston's northernmost suburb to Washington's southermost

Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
But as I said that may change in the future.
The proposed "high-speed" rail in Virginia is the Southeast Corridor, and it wouldn't be true high-speed just an upgrade of tracks to allow trains to travel 90-110mph powered by diesels.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,490,686 times
Quote:
^ Actually Amtrak includes Richmond, Williamsburg & Newport News in their Northeast Corridor Train Schedule now

Amtrak Routes and Schedules
But does Acela go there? If you ask me, that's the definition of BosWash -- the conglomerated urban area served by high speed rail. BosWash is the only place in the country with an extensive enough density to generate a high speed rail demand. If Portland and Richmond were part of it, then HSR would extend to those points.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
But does Acela go there? If you ask me, that's the definition of BosWash -- the conglomerated urban area served by high speed rail. BosWash is the only place in the country with an extensive enough density to generate a high speed rail demand. If Portland and Richmond were part of it, then HSR would extend to those points.
You never know, who's to say Acela won't go to Portland & Richmond in the near future. There may have not been a high enough demand for it (they're smaller cities).

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM

404 posts, read 951,096 times
I took Acela once for work. It was a great experience compared to the concentration camp like environment of post 9/11 air travel. I clocked a high speed with my iphone of around 140MPH, which I thought was pretty cool. Unfortunately, it's a shame that Acela is our highest speed train considering the size and advanced nature of our country. If only we could invest in the infrastructure to get 200-300mph MagLev trains like parts of Europe and Japan have.. That would be awesome. If that were a reality, then perhaps people could live in Richmond and work in Philly... and home prices would regulate somewhat as distance may not mean as much.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 AM

55 posts, read 139,075 times
BosWash goes from the northern suburbs of Boston to the southern suburbs of DC.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I took Acela once for work. It was a great experience compared to the concentration camp like environment of post 9/11 air travel. I clocked a high speed with my iphone of around 140MPH, which I thought was pretty cool. Unfortunately, it's a shame that Acela is our highest speed train considering the size and advanced nature of our country. If only we could invest in the infrastructure to get 200-300mph MagLev trains like parts of Europe and Japan have.. That would be awesome. If that were a reality, then perhaps people could live in Richmond and work in Philly... and home prices would regulate somewhat as distance may not mean as much.
The only current Maglev in commercial operation in the world is in Shanghai, where there's a short service to the airport. There's none in Europe or Japan. The closest a Maglev service has come to reality in this country is the proposed (and nowfor gotten) Baltimore-Washington Maglev: The Baltimore-Washington Maglev Project

Right now the main focus is building and upgrading conventional rail. The next (true) high speed route in this country is likely to be in California, where funds has already been allocated. Florida is also a strong candidate. There are also proposals to upgrade the Midwest routes that feed into Chicago, and to create a "Southeast Corridor" from Richmond to Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
You never know, who's to say Acela won't go to Portland & Richmond in the near future. There may have not been a high enough demand for it (they're smaller cities).
It won't. Trust me. Unless you consider the near future 100-200 years from now.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM

358 posts, read 1,320,448 times
Looks Like Hampton Roads and Richmond are not far off from the NE Megalopolis

Northeast - America 2050
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or