U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM

46 posts, read 137,918 times

Advertisements

I imagine over time the coastline from Maine to Florida will be one giant overcrowded city....

What will we call it then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
East Coast City

Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Or a giant, oversized mess.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
Giant Oversized Mess doesn't flow as well as East Coast City IMO

Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Bos-ami?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Giant Oversized Mess doesn't flow as well as East Coast City IMO
Nope, but that would be one giant, oversized, overcrowded city.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldButtersStotch View Post
I imagine over time the coastline from Maine to Florida will be one giant overcrowded city....

I don't think that will even be possible, the density would be too low for it to happen. Even if the entire population of the US was along the corridor it would still be suburban or exurban. Have to consider that the US it is nearly impossible to see it more than 500 million people total. There would have to be a large amount of population growth to make it possible here and I don't see it happening due to trends. If you removed immigration from the equation the US would barely have a growing population and over time a shrinking one. (especially since birthrates on immigrant families are on average higher and overall fertilitiy is just barely above replacment)

Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldButtersStotch View Post

Metro Long Island and Mainland Plantations.

Sounds familiar for some reason, lol.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 AM

542 posts, read 791,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
No, according to that, in 2050, Hampton Roads and Richmond are in the Northeast megalopolis.
While popular opinion does not agree, in my opinion they already are. Hampton Roads metro borders the Richmond border which in turn borders the DC area. Baltimore is as far from Philadelphia as Richmond is from DC. There is also quite a bit of open space between Philly and Baltimore, just like there is between Richmond and DC. If you look at a nighttime satellite image of the east coast, you will notice a string of lights along i95 from Boston to Richmond and then down i64 to Norfolk/Va Beach. Below that it drops off until Jacksonville. While many who live in the DC area think the rest of the state is disconnected from them, in truth, DC holds quite a large influence over the state as a whole. I live in Staunton, 2.5 hrs from DC and we still get DC t.v. stations, even though Richmond and Roanoke are closer. And many people regularly go to DC/NoVa for shopping, museums, shows, sports, or for the airport. There is a culture gap to a degree, but it's not huge like some people interpret it. From some peoples perspective, you'd think you were crossing the Berlin wall at Fredericksburg going to Richmond. Bull! It's just a urban/suburban divide from rural/country like it is everywhere else.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,327,090 times
Population Density maps can often lend a visual to it, if you incorporate block population data. I used over 500 people per square mile as a barometer of where you begin to transition into a metropolitan statistical area. Using that criteria, here is an overall map:

Define the BosWash corridor. (to what extent is it's reach?)-boswash.jpg

An in depth of the southern terminus, or the I-95 corridor in Virginia, reveals the following:

Define the BosWash corridor. (to what extent is it's reach?)-virginia.jpg

The Rappahannock River is a natural landmark I put in. I found it interesting that when traveling through the state of Virginia, when crossing various borders into the state, there is a 'welcome' center shortly over the line. The only exception is on I-95 southbound. The 'welcome' center in this case is past the bridge of the Rappahannock River. I think there is some old southern psychology at play, and do not think it is coincidental that this welcome center is placed here. Accordingly, I put the river into the map contents here to show where it runs through, which is near Fredericksburg. This is where I think the true 'fault line' lies.

Towards north of Boston, it is less easy to define. I include Manchester NH as part of the furthest extent north. However, to include Portland Maine using similar population density criteria is a bit of a stretch, at least in my opinion:

Define the BosWash corridor. (to what extent is it's reach?)-bosmanchester.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or