U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,864,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not sure if you're serious or sarcastically parodying the views of most non-southerners. Movies? Seriously?
No, seriously. I really thought those areas were stereotyped as the media and movies portray them.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM

91 posts, read 273,619 times
I moved from Oakland to Nashville. It is just friendlier. There are more blacks here than Oakland.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM

I know a black girl who relocated from Stockton. She works at waffle house. : ]

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Default wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegreone View Post
<What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?>

I've been wondered the same thing; my husband and I are getting ready to retire and have looked at various places in the south because of some of the reasons mentioned on this thread. On a trip to Nashville, however, I saw the Confederate flags flying on the way out of the city, and I was totally creeped out. I can't wrap my mind around how supposedly patriotic Americans still fly that symbol of treason and racism. I asked a friend who lives there how my husband and I would be perceived with our political views (we consider ourselves independent, progressives), and she jokingly said we would have no friends. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but, I wonder what it would be like to live among the fanatical religious extremists and bigots who yes, are all over, but seem particularly concentrated n the south?

OK. I have been in and around Nashville. First of all, NASHVILLE WAS RANKED #5 ON THE BEST CITIES FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS LAST YEAR. AND NUMBER 6 THE YEAR BEFORE. Second, Inner city Nashville is mostly black. Third, I have never met a black person in Nashville that has felt uncomfortable living here. The Nashville county has actually voted overwhelmingly liberal in the past two elections. Fourth, if you go to the outskirts of town, you are bound to see something that outdated. The outskirts of NASHVILLE IS STRAIGHT UP RURAL "GET EM BOY" TENNESSEE THAT IS ALWAYS PORTRAYED IN THE MEDIA. Please dont think that that attitude carries over to the URBAN city of Nashville.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,280,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland2nashville View Post
The outskirts of NASHVILLE IS STRAIGHT UP RURAL "GET EM BOY" TENNESSEE THAT IS ALWAYS PORTRAYED IN THE MEDIA.
lol

Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,663,574 times
the economy/job market/opportunities in the south are slim in comparison to areas of the west and of the north east. i just don't see why anybody (if they are thinking jobs, money, starting a life -i.e. anyone in their 20's) would want to move to the south.

its just not worth it. at least IMHO.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 AM

56,775 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland2nashville View Post
I moved from Oakland to Nashville. It is just friendlier. There are more blacks here than Oakland.
Umm, that's incorrect. Nashville is about 28% Black. Heck, Syracuse is about 28% Black, if not slightly more. Oakland is about 30% Black. There are more Black people in terms of numbers due to Nashville having more people, but not in terms of percentage. Not sure about the metro or "Greater" areas of both cities though.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 AM

56,775 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
In response to the earlier posts in this thread. I don't know about rural areas but I promise you that the largest southern cities (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte, Austin) are less racist and segregatedthan the big northern cities (New York, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Cincy, Cleveland).I've said this time and time again. My dad moved to brooklyn from barbados when he was 8 and stayed there until he graduated high school and joined the air force. He says he saw more racism in nyc than he ever saw in Texas.
You do have to keep in mind that military towns are similar to college towns now, as they have always been diverse and the dynamics are different as people have no choice but to work together.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 AM

815 posts, read 1,843,746 times
Quote:
In response to the earlier posts in this thread. I don't know about rural areas but I promise you that the largest southern cities (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte, Austin) are less racist and segregatedthan the big northern cities (New York, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Cincy, Cleveland).I've said this time and time again. My dad moved to brooklyn from barbados when he was 8 and stayed there until he graduated high school and joined the air force. He says he saw more racism in nyc than he ever saw in Texas.
I agree 110%. I was born and raised in the south, not to say racism does not exist in the south, but I have never been called a racial slur in the south nor had a racial incident. The only time that has happened was when I was visiting my family in Chicago and I guess I was in the wrong area and 3 white guys rode by in a Mustang and one of them basically yelled out the passenger side window something to the effect of "N***er, what hell are you doing on this street". After I said something back to them they proceeded to back the car up and chase me down an alley. I was like all of 15 at the time. So yeah anyone who says cities like Chicago and NYC are more progressive racially is full of BS. My father is from Chicago and he always says that Chicago is the most segregated and racist city in the country.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM

3,408 posts, read 3,584,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I agree 110%. I was born and raised in the south, not to say racism does not exist in the south, but I have never been called a racial slur in the south nor had a racial incident. The only time that has happened was when I was visiting my family in Chicago and I guess I was in the wrong area and 3 white guys rode by in a Mustang and one of them basically yelled out the passenger side window something to the effect of "N***er, what hell are you doing on this street". After I said something back to them they proceeded to back the car up and chase me down an alley. I was like all of 15 at the time. So yeah anyone who says cities like Chicago and NYC are more progressive racially is full of BS. My father is from Chicago and he always says that Chicago is the most segregated and racist city in the country.
This is one of the biggest issues when people go to classify an entire place. People like you will take an experience they had, and use it to classify the whole area. Just because you had an experience with some ignorant people in Chicago, don't mean that Chicago is a racist city, it means you had an experience with some ignorant people. There is ignorant people everywhere in this world, but they don't define the area they live in.

A lot of Chicago is segregated, there is no denying that, but that in itself don't make it racist either. While I am sorry you had to experience what you did as a teenager here, there are many other people that have never experienced anything like that here.

I have never seen or heard anyone in Chicago acting like the group of men you had the experience with. I have never heard anyone yelling out racial slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.