U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM

815 posts, read 1,854,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This is one of the biggest issues when people go to classify an entire place. People like you will take an experience they had, and use it to classify the whole area. Just because you had an experience with some ignorant people in Chicago, don't mean that Chicago is a racist city, it means you had an experience with some ignorant people. There is ignorant people everywhere in this world, but they don't define the area they live in.

A lot of Chicago is segregated, there is no denying that, but that in itself don't make it racist either. While I am sorry you had to experience what you did as a teenager here, there are many other people that have never experienced anything like that here.

I have never seen or heard anyone in Chicago acting like the group of men you had the experience with. I have never heard anyone yelling out racial slurs.
That one incident alone didn't help me form an opinion, my father and his experiences growing up in Chicago helped as well. And I’m not the first person on here who has said Chicago is the most racist big city in the country, so I'm not the only one who thinks that way. But for me to grow up in the supposedly more racist south, and never have a racial incident, and for me to spend a summer in Chicago, and only after 3 weeks of being there have that incident happen speaks volumes. Not to mention when at that time when I told my cousins who live in Chicago about the incident, they seemed as if was normal. Myself being young at the time was inclined to go around the neighborhood and look for those guys, and I remember my cousin had this passive almost subservient attitude about it. He was like "its best not to mess with those guys and stir up trouble". You will never hear blacks in Atlanta say something like "oh no, don’t go and stir up trouble with the white folks". I’m sorry but taking that route is a foreign concept to me. At the age I was then If that would have happened in Atlanta trust we would have been in their neighborhood that very same night looking for anyone who even came close to looking like those morons in that car.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,445,094 times
Quote:
and please tell me how he don't look white?
To me, he looks like he could pass for Latino. He certainly doesn't look 100% White.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,445,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the economy/job market/opportunities in the south are slim in comparison to areas of the west and of the north east. i just don't see why anybody (if they are thinking jobs, money, starting a life -i.e. anyone in their 20's) would want to move to the south.

its just not worth it. at least IMHO.
Well, despite the fact that we're in a global recession and no place is really doing as well as it once way, the Texas cities in particular have weathered the recession pretty well, better than most others in the nation.

Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,171,910 times
Quote:
This is one of the biggest issues when people go to classify an entire place. People like you will take an experience they had, and use it to classify the whole area. Just because you had an experience with some ignorant people in Chicago, don't mean that Chicago is a racist city, it means you had an experience with some ignorant people. There is ignorant people everywhere in this world, but they don't define the area they live in.

A lot of Chicago is segregated, there is no denying that, but that in itself don't make it racist either. While I am sorry you had to experience what you did as a teenager here, there are many other people that have never experienced anything like that here.

I have never seen or heard anyone in Chicago acting like the group of men you had the experience with. I have never heard anyone yelling out racial slurs.
His reasoning is no worse than people who have NEVER EVEN BEEN TO THE SOUTH making generalizations about the entire region based on what they have seen in movies, on tv, and from events that have taken place 40 years ago.

But reason only applies when you're not insulting the south.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:30 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,171,910 times
Quote:
the economy/job market/opportunities in the south are slim in comparison to areas of the west and of the north east. i just don't see why anybody (if they are thinking jobs, money, starting a life -i.e. anyone in their 20's) would want to move to the south.

its just not worth it. at least IMHO.
Why do you feel the south is undesireable to people in their 20s? Hilarious how northerners beat you over the head with how open minded and liberal they are when actuality they are some of the most closed minded people there are. And i'm saying this as a liberal democrat btw.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,704,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Why do you feel the south is undesireable to people in their 20s? Hilarious how northerners beat you over the head with how open minded and liberal they are when actuality they are some of the most closed minded people there are. And i'm saying this as a liberal democrat btw.
because:

-there is less to do
-the job market just isn't as good
-lack of opportunities in comparison to the north or the west
-pay scale is much lower in comparison to other regions

it just isn't worth it. the south is some place that a person should consider retiring to...the economic opportunities while you're young just aren't there in comparison to other regions. why settle for less?

and i'm saying that as an open minded liberal democrat btw.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,247,212 times
Quote:
because:

-there is less to do

it just isn't worth it. the south is some place that a person should consider retiring to...the economic opportunities while you're young just aren't there in comparison to other regions. why settle for less?

Well you are a woefully uninformed liberal democrat then.

Your anti-Southern bias is interfering with your thought process.

You sound like someone who has never left their neighborhood.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,898,553 times
Quote:
because:

-there is less to do

What can you do up north that we can't do in the south???

Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,704,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well you are a woefully uninformed liberal democrat then.

Your anti-Southern bias is interfering with your thought process.

You sound like someone who has never left their neighborhood.
i've lived in the south before and have been to various countries...

it is what it is, tho. i'm entitled to my opinion about the south. i just don't understand what would make an african american want to move from the west or the northeast to the south other than:

-financial reasons (such as not being able to afford living in the north due to gentrification, for example)
-older ppl trying to connect to their parents/childhood (ppl retiring, older ppl moving to take care of their parents, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What can you do up north that we can't do in the south???
a hell of a lot...speaking from a nyer's point of view.

i'm not saying that one can't be successful in the south but the majority of the ppl that *i* (and again, i don't speak for an entire region, obviously) know and went to college with that are from the south didn't really do much with their lives...they come from ppl who didn't have many opportunities which in turn shaped their outlook on things.

its hard to want more if you don't know that more is out there.

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl. screw that. ppl with degrees working in gas stations til they can find something making 30...and they're happy with that. smh.

there is way more to life than settling for making pennies and just making it. forget just existing. it just seems like the south is full of content with the status quo ppl...nothing wrong with that if thats what you're into but i'm not.

i just don't see why anyone would want to settle on mediocrity.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM

815 posts, read 1,854,442 times
Quote:
because:

-there is less to do

Seeing as though you are from Jamiaca Queens and seeing as though this thread was about African Americans in the south I can assure you that there is no area in Jamica Queens or even a black area in the entire NYC that can even come close to comparing to an affluent black area in Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. Jamaica Queens???? Seriously???? And you want to ask why do blacks move down south??? Pure comedy!! And for blacks, trust there is just as much if not more to do in Atlanta than NYC. Can't speak for Dallas and Houston but I am sure they are on the same level in regards to social options for blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.