U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Seeing as though you are from Jamiaca Queens and seeing as though this thread was about African Americans in the south I can assure you that there is no area in Jamica Queens or even a black area in the entire NYC that can even come close to comparing to an affluent black area in Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. Jamaica Queens???? Seriously???? And you want to ask why do blacks move down south??? Pure comedy!! And for blacks, trust there is just as much if not more to do in Atlanta than NYC. Can't speak for Dallas and Houston but I am sure they are on the same level in regards to social options for blacks.
Lol why do you think we're looking into moving Down South (FL, GA, SC, or NC) from South Jamaica, Queens. I honestly can't wait.

Someone said living in the South is like settling for less (or something similar to that), well for us living in NYC is like settling for less (for many reasons).

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol why do you think we're looking into moving Down South (FL, GA, SC, or NC) from South Jamaica, Queens. I honestly can't wait.

Someone said living in the South is like settling for less (or something similar to that), well for us living in NYC is like settling for less (for many reasons).
I can understand wanting to leave South Jamaica, as it is known for being one of the roughest neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

815 posts, read 1,842,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, there are parts of Jamaica Queens that are fine. Actually, Queens has some of the most affluent Black neighborhoods in the country and is the most "diverse" county in the US.

While I have love for the South, I think images like this stick in the mind of many people in this country:

Tchula, Mississippi

YouTube - Economic meltdown in Mississippi - 10 July 08

This is my father's hometown, by the way. Holmes County

Here's scenes and info. from my mother's hometown:

YouTube - S.C Highway 41 - Mullins, SC
Mullins High School: Spotlight > "Who Will Be Crowned the New 2009-2010 Homecoming Queen? ..." (http://www.mhs.marion2.k12.sc.us/?PageName=LatestNews&Section=Spotlight&ItemID=7416 &ISrc=School&Itype=Spotlight&SchoolID=3356 - broken link)
Welcome to the City of Mullins, South Carolina

Jamaica Estates is decent at best, but as a whole Jamiaca Queens is a sh1t hole and as far as black neighborhoods go nothing in NYC compares to Cascade Heights in Atlanta, Camp Creek in Atlanta, Prince Georges County outside the beltway in DC or SugarLand n Houston. Dude you can browse and post YouTube videos all day, but post up a video of Jamiaca Queens (or any other black neighborhood in NYC) in comparison to Cascade Heights (or any other area I mentioned) and there is no way someone with two eyeballs in their head will say the former looks better.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,660,165 times
Quote:
What are you talking about dude??? Seriously???? Atlanta and Houston have the most affluent black communities in the country, that in of itself is a reason why they move here. And if you still reside in Jamaica Queens, unless youíre a drug dealer, youíre not making any serious change either there buddy, if you do then I would advise you to move. Youíre from Jamaica Queens and trying to talk down on the blacks in the south for not having any money. Thatís like someone from New Orleans making fun of someone from Baltimore because itís violent and ghetto. But all jokes aside, NYC despite its overall size does not have a black communtiy that can compare to other cities like Atlanta, DC, and Houston. Like it's not even close.
lol @ this. stick to talking about chicago, although it appears that you don't know anything about chicago, according to ppl from chicago...

what person in any outer borough sticks to their outer borough when it comes to jobs, shopping, chillin, etc?

everyone i know takes the train into the city (manhattan) to work everyday.

and jamaica is so large. you're thinking of south jamaica. stop listening to 50 and actually visit before you form an opinion.

the jamaica i'm from is a working class area, full of immigrants that OWN their own businesses. the crime rate isn't high here. i can stand on parsons blvd all day and night and nothing will happen to me.

and nyc is a melting pot. we don't need 234324324 billion of any one race. there are so many cultural opportunities that ppl outside of nyc don't experience. its a shame, really.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

815 posts, read 1,842,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Thats what I'm saying Infamous, we are on the same page with that one. But your Jamaica Queens brethern Eeek just said he couldnt see why anyone would want to leave that for the south.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Here's a couple of highly Black neighborhoods of Queens that are nice:
Laurelton, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cambria Heights, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and another one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosedale,_Queens

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-09-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a 50-70k job coming out of college.
possible connects that work on 6th ave (google>images 6th ave).
our art scene (this is a given)
our music scene (nyc is the only place i know where ppl happen to know ___ mogul. ex. i have a cousin that knows and worked for russel simmons...now he works on wall st)
our news scene (have a cousin that worked for nbc, then nydailynews then mtv)
our transportation system is superior, period. if you don't have a car in the south, you're done. your life is over til you get one unless you live and work/chill in a very small area within your city.

ppl from OTHER STATES travel to nyc everyday/night to work then go back home, using our transporation system.

my uncle lives in jersey city and works in manhattan, for example. i know ppl that live in CT that work in NYC.

random other thoughts:

yankee stadium during the playoffs/world series
various parades:
dominican day
pr day
west indian, etc.
chinatown in manhattan and in flushing
our various world class museums
6th ave, in general
the opportunities our transporation bring 5th ave, in general
our zoo and aquarium
tourist stuff like the statue of liberty
empire state building
42nd st in general
madison square garden
botanical gardens
central park
5 pointz
our music scene, in general
our art scene in general
our fashion scene in general
soHo
etc.

and thats just in nyc. and there's more to that list. now picture being in jersey city and having access to all of that plus whatever is in jersey city?
Is that suppose to be something amazing???

Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,660,165 times
Quote:
Thats what I'm saying Infamous, we are on the same page with that one. But your Jamaica Queens brethern Eeek just said he couldnt see why anyone would want to leave that for the south.
infamous is from south jamaica, iirc. i am not.

again, speak on stuff you know about. south jamaica =/= all of jamaica, at all, period.

its like painting brooklyn in a bad light because of brownsville. brownsville =/= the whole bk.

harlem =/= the whole manhattan. so what next? because the heights isn't that desireable to some ppl now manhattan is terrible?

please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is that suppose to be something amazing???
lol @ this. did i say that it was amazing? no? ok then. thx for thinking it is.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
Quote:
there are so many cultural opportunities that ppl outside of nyc don't experience. its a shame, really.

There are SO many cultural opportunities outside of New York that New Yorkers don't experience. It's a shame, really.

As is the habit of some New Yorkers of traveling with blinders on when they DO leave the city.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Quote:
infamous is from south jamaica, iirc. i am not.

again, speak on stuff you know about
. south jamaica =/= all of jamaica, at all, period.

its like painting brooklyn in a bad light because of brownsville. brownsville =/= the whole bk.

harlem =/= the whole manhattan. so what next? because the heights isn't that desireable to some ppl now manhattan is terrible?

please.

You might want to take this into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.