U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,658,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There are SO many cultural opportunities outside of New York that New Yorkers don't experience. It's a shame, really.

As is the habit of some New Yorkers of traveling with blinders on when they DO leave the city.
thats the thing tho. nyers tend to travel. and many of us are from someplace else anyway.

where else can you go to work and here 15 different languages on the way to work?

for the record, queens = the most diverse place in the U.S.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
thats the thing tho. nyers tend to travel. and many of us are from someplace else anyway.

where else can you go to work and here 15 different languages on the way to work?

queens. queens = the most diverse place in the U.S.
Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, and more.......

We don't just speak one language down here you know; nothing your saying is new or impressive to us because we do and see these things on a daily basis.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM

815 posts, read 1,842,500 times
Quote:
lol @ this. stick to talking about chicago, although it appears that you don't know anything about chicago, according to ppl from chicago...

what person in any outer borough sticks to their outer borough when it comes to jobs, shopping, chillin, etc?

everyone i know takes the train into the city (manhattan) to work everyday.

and jamaica is so large. you're thinking of south jamaica. stop listening to 50 and actually visit before you form an opinion.

the jamaica i'm from is a working class area, full of immigrants that OWN their own businesses. the crime rate isn't high here. i can stand on parsons blvd all day and night and nothing will happen to me.

and nyc is a melting pot. we don't need 234324324 billion of any one race. there are so many cultural opportunities that ppl outside of nyc don't experience. its a shame, really.

Dude I have 2 aunts in East New York, and a good freind in Ozone Park, while that is not Jamiaca I was just shopping for kicks on Jamaica Ave not even 2 months ago the last time I was up there. So while I am not an expert on NYC, I am there enough to know that there is no black communtiy there that can compare to places like Atlanta, DC, and Houston. And I can't stand that poser 50, and never have liked his music, so sorry my experiences come first hand my dude. Some of you people on here act like planes dont exist and I can't hop on a one right now and be in NYC before rush hour. And keep trying to slide in the ethnic diversity piece as well, but this thread was about AA's and the south homie, not chinese americans and the south and not whatever other nationality you want to drag into this.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, and more.......

We don't just speak one language down here you know; nothing your saying is new or impressive to us because we do and see these things on a daily basis.
none of those cities are as diverse as my borough tho, let alone the whole nyc.

not that it matters one way or the other because there's more to nyc than just the diversity.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
Quote:

queens. queens = the most diverse place in the U.S.
Several large metro areas in the country have that. It is NOT unique to New York. That's my point. You guys don't own ANY of the things you are bragging about.

And yes, SOME New Yorkers tend to travel, but obviously not enough do, as this thread proves loud and clear.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
none of those cities are as diverse as my borough tho, let alone the whole nyc.

not that it matters one way or the other because there's more to nyc than just the diversity.
I never said they were more diverse than NYC, but still hearing different languages everyday is nothing new to us.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Dude I have 2 aunts in East New York, and a good freind in Ozone Park, while that is not Jamiaca I was just shopping for kicks on Jamaica Ave not even 2 months ago the last time I was up there. So while I am not an expert on NYC, I am there enough to know that there is no black communtiy there that can compare to places like Atlanta, DC, and Houston.
and who said that there had to be a larger black community than in places such as atl, dc, or houston? or new orleans, in order for black ppl to be successful and happy with their lives??

its not about who makes up what neighborhood, really, although diversity IMHO is better than segregation, its about the money. the opportunities. etc.

Quote:
And I can't stand that poser 50, and never have liked his music, so sorry my experiences come first hand my dude. Some of you people on here act like planes dont exist and I can't hop on a one right now and be in NYC before rush hour. And keep trying to slide in the ethnic diversity piece as well, but this thread was about AA's and the south homie, not chinese americans and the south and not whatever other nationality you want to drag into this.
so then you should know that there are parts of jamaica that resemble other parts of the country, then, the south included.

and you should also know that not all of jamaica = south jamaica and that most of jamaica is pretty safe, despite what you hear from ppl in and outside of nyc.

i'm 100% sure nobody robbed you on jamaica ave, correct? didn't hear any gunshots, right? anybody got stabbed? didn't even notice that much graffiti, right?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,058,730 times
My take: economic opportunties. The Jim Crow days are long gone, so plenty (well, not so much these days, but will return when recession recedes) of job opportunities for all races in the South. Personally, the South is not for me (and I am white), but if I was just starting a career and couldn't find anything in my preferred cities and regions, I'd head South too. Plus, I am guessing many blacks still have relatives who never left the South.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Thats what I'm saying Infamous, we are on the same page with that one. But your Jamaica Queens brethern Eeek just said he couldnt see why anyone would want to leave that for the south.
Lol, which one would you choose?

South Jamaica

YouTube - COPS IN JAMAICA QUEENS VOL. 2/ UNBELIEVABLE FOOTAGE

Fort Lauderdale

YouTube - Fort Lauderdale Florida (01Sep06)

I wouldn't want to live in Jamaica, Queens. Its too dirty, old (for the most part), crowded, there's a million buses, etc. South Jamaica is more dangerous but at least its not urban & crowded.

I'm not trying to bash Jamaica/South Jamaica at all but its not for everyone, the "white-flight" occurred in the 60's/70's and the "black-flight" is occurring now, I'm noticing a lot of Hispanics are moving in to South Jamaica and they'll probably leave in 30-50 years just as the whites and blacks did before them.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM

56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
My take: economic opportunties. The Jim Crow days are long gone, so plenty (well, not so much these days, but will return when recession recedes) of job opportunities for all races in the South. Personally, the South is not for me (and I am white), but if I was just starting a career and couldn't find anything in my preferred cities and regions, I'd head South too. Plus, I am guessing many blacks still have relatives who never left the South.
All of this is very true.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.