U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM

56,877 posts, read 81,216,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol, which one would you choose?

South Jamaica

YouTube - COPS IN JAMAICA QUEENS VOL. 2/ UNBELIEVABLE FOOTAGE

Fort Lauderdale

YouTube - Fort Lauderdale Florida (01Sep06)

I wouldn't want to live in Jamaica, Queens. Its too dirty, old (for the most part), crowded, there's a million buses, etc. South Jamaica is more dangerous but at least its not urban & crowded.

I'm not trying to bash Jamaica/South Jamaica at all but its not for everyone, the "white-flight" occurred in the 60's/70's and the "black-flight" is occurring now, I'm noticing a lot of Hispanics are moving in to South Jamaica and they'll probably leave in 30-50 years just as the whites and blacks did before them.
That's the same thing occurring in parts of the LA area like Inglewood, Lynwood, Artesia, South Central and a few others.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,666,767 times
thats like comparing brownsville to west palm beach.

and jamaica does have 50 million buses but this is convenient for ppl in long island. thats a positive, not a negative...its a good thing to have ppl that live in the suburbs that can travel to nyc to work and then go home, back to the suburbs.
its also good because there are 5234324 options for those of us that live near these buses and trains. i could take the f, e, j, z trains, the lirr...or 343243 different buses to get wherever i want to go.

you get to the south and some places have no bus system at all or a very inadequate one.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,573,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Nothing more than a product of affirmative action....

The fact is that African Americans move to the the South because liberal cities like SF are actually more hostile to them. A liberal looks at diversity as giving poor blacks projects to live in and yelling tolerance from their Marin county mansion
A conservative looks at diversity as whatever liberals do.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 PM

56,877 posts, read 81,216,145 times
Here's an interesting article about Queens: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/ny...l?ref=nyregion

and here's a community just outside of Hartford where Black families make slightly more than White families in per capita income: Windsor, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,356,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm not saying that one can't be successful in the south but the majority of the ppl that *i* (and again, i don't speak for an entire region, obviously) know and went to college with that are from the south didn't really do much with their lives...they come from ppl who didn't have many opportunities which in turn shaped their outlook on things.

its hard to want more if you don't know that more is out there.

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl. screw that. ppl with degrees working in gas stations til they can find something making 30...and they're happy with that. smh.

there is way more to life than settling for making pennies and just making it. forget just existing. it just seems like the south is full of content with the status quo ppl...nothing wrong with that if thats what you're into but i'm not.

i just don't see why anyone would want to settle on mediocrity.
This says a LOT more about the people that you know and hang out with than the reality here in the South. This is crazy. I'm 29 and have friends and colleagues and family members here in the South making from 60K up to near six figures, easy.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM

815 posts, read 1,844,532 times
Quote:
and who said that there had to be a larger black community than in places such as atl, dc, or houston? or new orleans, in order for black ppl to be successful and happy with their lives??

its not about who makes up what neighborhood, really, although diversity IMHO is better than segregation, its about the money. the opportunities. etc.

so then you should know that there are parts of jamaica that resemble other parts of the country, then, the south included.

and you should also know that not all of jamaica = south jamaica and that most of jamaica is pretty safe, despite what you hear from ppl in and outside of nyc.

i'm 100% sure nobody robbed you on jamaica ave, correct? didn't hear any gunshots, right? anybody got stabbed? didn't even notice that much graffiti, right?
Never said that blacks can’t progress in places outside of ATL, DC, H-Town. I just said that you have a lot more opportunities to do so in those areas. I strongly believe that a smart motivated person can succeed anywhere, regardless of where they are. And no I did not see any shootings, stabbings, while I was in Jamaica Queens, but I also wouldn’t say that is an affluent black area either. It actually reminded me of the neighborhood I grew up in. Im from Ben Hill in SW, and I could play outside on my street without any worries, the houses well mostly well kept, but on the other side of the coin a few shootings a year was not uncommon even though overall it was your average middle class inner city neighborhood but it was far from bieng affluent. Especially as the next neighborhood to the north of us was Cascade Heights and I got a chance to see what an affluent black neighborhood really looked like on a daily basis

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,666,767 times
i never said that jamaica was a major destination for black americans, either tho. i actually didn't specifically mention jamaica, ny until it was brought up by someone else, but since it was brought up, IMHO we (ppl in queens) are better off with diversity than with a bunch of ppl from any one particular race.

*although*

jamaica isn't what it used to be because a lot of east indians/pakistani's have taken over, for better of for worse.

the problem with black ppl in general is that we don't own anything. its sad, IMHO, that you can walk up and down hillside av all day and almost everything is east indian owned. no offense to the east idians here because i think black ppl need to take notes on what to do...rather than fall by the wayside and watch.

i like jamaica, ny because it is home...but its nothing like how it used to be to me.

thats a different topic, tho.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,137,312 times
Quote:
i never said that jamaica was a major destination for black americans, either tho. i actually didn't specifically mention jamaica, ny until it was brought up by someone else, but since it was brought up, IMHO we (ppl in queens) are better off with diversity than with a bunch of ppl from any one particular race.

*although*

jamaica isn't what it used to be because a lot of east indians/pakistani's have taken over, for better of for worse.

the problem with black ppl in general is that we don't own anything. its sad, IMHO, that you can walk hillside av all day and almost everything is east indian owned. no offense to the east idians here because i think black ppl need to take notes on what to do...rather than fall by the wayside and watch.

I agree 100%.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,472,333 times
Quote:
thats like comparing brownsville to west palm beach.

and jamaica does have 50 million buses but this is convenient for ppl in long island. thats a positive, not a negative...its a good thing to have ppl that live in the suburbs that can travel to nyc to work and then go home, back to the suburbs.
its also good because there are 5234324 options for those of us that live near these buses and trains. i could take the f, e, j, z trains, the lirr...or 343243 different buses to get wherever i want to go.

you get to the south and some places have no bus system at all or a very inadequate one.
Well eek, did it ever occur to you that there are many people who have tried/exerienced New York City but found that they were much happier down south?

I think NY is cool, but you have to realize that everybody is not amused with the Big Apple way of life. And the major cities of the south aren't exactly little poor hick towns. There is A LOT of fun to be had living down here.

Personally, I have to admit though that I sometimes think it would be neat if there was a mini-version of NYC down south (and no, NOLA and MIA ain't it).

Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,844,532 times
Quote:

*although*

the problem with black ppl in general is that we don't own anything. its sad, IMHO, that you can walk up and down hillside av all day and almost everything is east indian owned. no offense to the east idians here because i think black ppl need to take notes on what to do...rather than fall by the wayside and watch.

i like jamaica, ny because it is home...but its nothing like how it used to be to me.

Bruh real talk, and I hate to say this on here. But f*ck it, thats the problem with allot of us all over the map, not just in NYC, ATL, or DC. Everywhere, we dont own our own stuff. I was floored when I went Jamaica (the island) and saw Indians and Pakistanis owning all the little stores and shops down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.