U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,663,574 times
Reputation: 1423

Advertisements

and another thing. if it wasn't for the gentrification from giuliani and now bloomberg, you would have more black ppl here.
but rather than run from it and/or get caught up in it and pushed out, we need to stay and fight. we need to stop taking what we have for granted and go out and use these opportunities and not settle on less.

ppl convinced that they'll never have anyway so they might as well move someplace, take a pay cut but be able to buy a house, etc. etc.

screw that.

you can have those things here if you have a plan and try hard to execute it.

 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,663,574 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
*SNIP*
what part of nyc are you from? just curious, because the way that you talk about ny it sounds like you might be from upstate or long island and not nyc..?
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm not going to post articles with graphs, charts, etc.
Translation: "The facts be damned, I'm going to keep spouting my inaccurate information no matter what because I'm just convinced its true based on knowing seven losers in the South who don't want anything more out of life than to work as a part-time greeter at Wal-Mart, and naturally that's the way it is across the vast majority of the South. I win!"

OK cuz, I gotcha.

Quote:
its a fact that there are more econonic opportunities in nyc than in any part of the south, period.
Nah dude, you're not going to get away with trying to change the basis of your argument now. This is what your original point was:

the economy/job market/opportunities in the south are slim in comparison to areas of the west and of the north east.

You also went on to say:

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl.

This is what you're arguing and I've proved that you are flat-out W-R-O-N-G.

Next subject.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Spade and Akh, y'all are murking that poster right now!
That's what happens when people don't know what they're talking about but act like they do.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 1,913,716 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
what part of nyc are you from? just curious, because the way that you talk about ny it sounds like you might be from upstate or long island and not nyc..?
I lived in Harlem and Brooklyn, my mother was raised in BK and my grandmother, who I visited frequently, lived in BK for decades until she moved to Atlanta.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,843,746 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post



spade, you must be talking about your fam from philly. i seriously doubt any nyer is impressed with anybody of any race stepping out of a maserati. anybody breathing has seen that at one point or another, frequently, in nyc. we see stars regularly. we see foreign cars regularly. we see wealth regularly. ppl from fam that is in history books...

That wasn't Spade that said that, that was me. And yes I never said NYC does not have nice cars, but this thread was about African Americans. Not other races, and the AA's in NYC dont drive anywhere near the caliber of cars you see AA's down here driving. Yeah you all see Mazarati's on a daily basis up in NYC, but you don't see black people driving them, thats for sure. And foreign cars regularly?? Please dude when Im in NYC in a black area I see mostly Buicks and Lincolns, and maybe a riced out Honda or Acura here or there. And I wasn't talking about whites, asians, indians, and blacks in Atlanta who drive Mazarati's and Lambos, I was talking about just black people. But coming from someone who seems to think that a BMW 7 series is the end all be all of cars, Im sure you would be impressed by the cars down here. Im still lol @ that one. Seriously dude I just was cracking on my cousin because he dropped like 33K on a that new SS Camaro, when he could have gotten a 2005 or '06 BMW 745 for 10K less and still had money left over. If you see someone driving a 7 series, and unless that car is brand new, chances are it is not as expensive as you think it is, And I dont care if your from NYC, that statement you made about the BMW came off sounding real bama, like you dont know any better.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,471,146 times
Reputation: 483
By a show of hands, how many people here are still waiting on eek to answer their questions? lol
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,843,746 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
By a show of hands, how many people here are still waiting on eek to answer their questions? lol

*raises hand*
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,663,574 times
Reputation: 1423
k. since it has to be like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm almost 30 years old. I know a guy who came into that same company right out of high school making upwards of that much as well; this was about a year ago. Don't get mad and try to impose another set of restrictions on your unfounded claims because I'm proving you wrong. And if you're talking about the job market now, hell everybody is suffering now, including NYC which has shed a few hundred thousand jobs since the recession began.
k. and you graduated when?

the economy is messed up right now, nationally, which is what i said. with that said, the job market has always been better, always been better, always been better in the north than in the south.
what is nc's unemployment rate (since you mention charlotte?) and what is ny's unemployment rate?

NY 8.8% which is BELOW THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
NC 10.4% which is ABOVE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
FL 11.2% which is above THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
GA 10.2% which IS THE NATIONAL AVERAGE

TEXAS is the only state mentioned in this thread so far with a lower unemployment rate than NY, at 8.3%.



Quote:
You keep making these wild claims with absolutely nothing to back them up. Now I'll give you Florida since they are one of the ground zero states for the housing market crash,
oh ok. thanks. but:



Quote:
Many college graduates are passing up industrial centers and former hotspots in the Southwest, which have been hit hard by the recession, in favor of life in urban, high-tech meccas. Their moves are fueling a resurgence of brainiacs in parts of California, North Carolina and Texas
you say that and then say:

Quote:
Charlotte isn't doing particularly well right now, this is true, but what else do you expect from a city that was home to two of the largest banks in the nation in the middle of a global recession where banks are failing left and right?
oh ok. cool. swell. thx for the cosign.

that bank of america building in manhattan sure looks nice to a person in the heart of charlotte thats concerned for charlotte with wells fargo taking over wachovia and the bofa execs toying with the idea of a new nyc residence.

Quote:
And I wouldn't say that our job market is "comatose"; unemployment, while still too high, has been inching down and depending on your field, there are still jobs to be had here.
create a thread in the charlotte forum asking if you should move there to find a job. see what they say.

Quote:
Your point is that the vast majority of opportunities in the South are utter crap when compared with other regions of the country. You've made that clear. I've presented hard data to the contrary, while you've produced nothing but unfounded assertions and vague anecdotes. Here are some other stats and data relevant to the conversation:
no, thats not my point. i posted my point already. comprehend what you read. there are more opportunities and better opportunities in the north. that is my point. there is no reason for a person to move from the north to the south other than family or some sort of financial reason (gentrification, retirement/wanting to buy a house, etc.).

i'll be back with data, statistics, etc.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,468,884 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
By a show of hands, how many people here are still waiting on eek to answer their questions? lol

Raising my hand but I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top