U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
k. and you graduated when?
2003. Not sure why that's important though...

Quote:
the economy is messed up right now, nationally, which is what i said. with that said, the job market has always been better, always been better, always been better in the north than in the south.
All you've been doing is touting NYC, not "the north." How about you throw in some Buffalo and Rochester and Providence?

Quote:
what is nc's unemployment rate (since you mention charlotte?) and what is ny's unemployment rate?

NY 8.8% which is BELOW THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
NC 10.4% which is ABOVE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
FL 11.2% which is above THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
GA 10.2% which IS THE NATIONAL AVERAGE

TEXAS is the only state mentioned in this thread so far with a lower unemployment rate than NY, at 8.3%.
Obviously dude, you don't know what states constitute the South or you are being dishonest by not being more inclusive and comprehensive with your stats. Arkansas's unemployment rate is 7.1%, Louisiana's is 7.4%, Oklahoma's and Virginia's is 6.7%. Yes we have states struggling more than others, but it's not my argument that the South is an economic utopia.

Quote:
oh ok. thanks. but:

"Many college graduates are passing up industrial centers and former hotspots in the Southwest, which have been hit hard by the recession, in favor of life in urban, high-tech meccas. Their moves are fueling a resurgence of brainiacs in parts of California, North Carolina and Texas"

you say that and then say:

"Charlotte isn't doing particularly well right now, this is true, but what else do you expect from a city that was home to two of the largest banks in the nation in the middle of a global recession where banks are failing left and right?"

oh ok. cool. swell. thx for the cosign.
LOL, I'm going to need you to look up the definition of "co-sign." I said that one metro area in particular isn't doing too well right now in the face of a global recession and you say, "Thanks for agreeing with me that the entire South is full of minimum wage jobs and people who can't make more than 20K-30K!" ROFL!!! You serious dude????????

Quote:
that bank of america building in manhattan sure looks nice to a person in the heart of charlotte thats concerned for charlotte with wells fargo taking over wachovia and the bofa execs toying with the idea of a new nyc residence.
Actually, it doesn't. The only way the HQ would move is because the newly-picked CEO already lives up that way. And the vast majority of the BOA jobs already here would stay here if that happened.

Quote:
create a thread in the charlotte forum asking if you should move there to find a job. see what they say.
They would say don't move to any city, including your precious NYC, to find a job, but rather have the job locked down first and THEN move.

Quote:
there are more opportunities and better opportunities in the north. that is my point.
I'll let your own statement stand as a testimony against you:

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl.

That's your argument. Stick with it dude. But you won't because you're so friggin' off base until it's not funny.

I still want to know about these people down this way who are taking jobs at Wal-Mart with degrees. Where did they go to school, what type of degrees do they have, what were their GPAs when they graduated, what towns/cities are they living in, etc.

 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Eek do you know what the unemployment rate of Black men is in New York City? Before the recession 50% of black men in New York City were unemployed.

My godfather (a NYC councilman) had to spearhead an entire intitiative to resolve the unemployment crisis of Black men in New York. General city averages mean jack squat to this thread as we are discussing African-Americans and their opportunities.

Your point, however much you insist upon it, is based on faulty premise-- that because New York overall has more career opportunities, that a part of this sum (Black people) has more career opportunities as well. That is not true whatsover. If we look at Black folks specifically, New York City is not a haven for the vast majority of them.

Inner City Black Male Unemployment At 50 Percent | Central Florida News, Info, Sports West Orlando News Online
Black Male Initiative - The City University of New York

Not only are Black men faring much better with employment in Atlanta (10% unemployment rate), but Black women are as well. Almost 70% of Black women in Atlanta have a job vs. 54% of Black women in New York City.http://www.bls.gov/opub/gp/pdf/gp04_27.pdf
Good stuff! I can't rep you anymore, but good job. Nothing better than to hear the truth from someone who's proving just the opposite of what that guy is spewing.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,468,946 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not saying that NYC is some hellhole for Blacks or that it was a city of nightmares for Blacks. It's that it wasn't the only city where Blacks thought they could prosper. If NYC was the utopia for Blacks, so was Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia. At one time Chicago was viewed as the greatest city for Black Americans. As was Detroit.
Well yeah all that's true, but New York was somewhat on another level for blacks. The role that the Harlem Renaissance played in black culture was unmatched at the time. My grandparents and great aunts/uncles can tell you stories of how NY was once the "it" city for African Americans. So much to the point that some black New Yorkers looked down their noses at black folks that lived anywhere else.

Similar to today, you have other cities like Houston and Dallas where blacks are doing just as well and there's tons of black culture in these cities, but it's hard to argue that Atlanta is the "black mecca".
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,468,946 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Eek do you know what the unemployment rate of Black men is in New York City? Before the recession 50% of black men in New York City were unemployed.

My godfather (a NYC councilman) had to spearhead an entire intitiative to resolve the unemployment crisis of Black men in New York. General city averages mean jack squat to this thread as we are discussing African-Americans and their opportunities.

Your point, however much you insist upon it, is based on faulty premise-- that because New York overall has more career opportunities, that a part of this sum (Black people) has more career opportunities as well. That is not true whatsover. If we look at Black folks specifically, New York City is not a haven for the vast majority of them.

Inner City Black Male Unemployment At 50 Percent | Central Florida News, Info, Sports West Orlando News Online
Black Male Initiative - The City University of New York

Not only are Black men faring much better with employment in Atlanta (10% unemployment rate), but Black women are as well. Almost 70% of Black women in Atlanta have a job vs. 54% of Black women in New York City.http://www.bls.gov/opub/gp/pdf/gp04_27.pdf
When dealing with the high unemployment rates among black men, a commonly ignored fact is that a good chunk of those numbers is not necessarily men who can't find work, but men who simply will not go to work. "Can't take the 9 to 5," so sitting on my ass waiting on a check is a much better option.

...yeah I said it.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well yeah all that's true, but New York was somewhat on another level for blacks. The role that the Harlem Renaissance played in black culture was unmatched at the time. My grandparents and great aunts/uncles can tell you stories of how NY was once the "it" city for African Americans. So much to the point that some black New Yorkers looked down their noses at black folks that lived anywhere else.
Don't want to get into a side argument here, but one reason why it's so sad to see Detroit in the shape that it's in now is because of all that city has done to create a sizable Black middle class. The Harlem Renaissance is most certainly one of our highest cultural moments in America as a people, but that Motown era wasn't anything to play with either. In terms of contemporary musical influences, much of that within African American culture, whether you're talking about R&B or Gospel, can be traced in large part to Detroit.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Richmond
70 posts, read 173,044 times
Reputation: 40
It's been called The second Great Migration. Many black people are returning to the South and reconnecting with old family ties. Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham and Montgomery seem to be drawing large numbers.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
When dealing with the high unemployment rates among black men, a commonly ignored fact is that a good chunk of those numbers is not necessarily men who can't find work, but men who simply will not go to work. "Can't take the 9 to 5," so sitting on my ass waiting on a check is a much better option.

...yeah I said it.
Not even, a lot work "off the books" and live comfortably (not rich or poor).
 
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
 
18 posts, read 30,373 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
It's been called The second Great Migration. Many black people are returning to the South and reconnecting with old family ties. Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham and Montgomery seem to be drawing large numbers.
To correct you Mr. Patrick, this would be the third migration. The second occurred from the 40s-70s, during this time a solid Black middle class was created in areas such as Detroit. However, the deterioration of these areas are bring them back.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,468,946 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Not even, a lot work "off the books" and live comfortably (not rich or poor).
That is true, but so is what I said. I personally know more than just several men who aint doing anything with their time. I'm sure this doesn't make up a majority of the unemployment numbers, but it does contribute to it significantly.

The fact that a lot of dudes aren't willing to find a secure job with a secure income is really hurting the stability of our community.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,769,681 times
Reputation: 3370
I think there is an enourmous amount of hypocracy w/ regards to race in this thread. I live in PA, and one of the strangest ironies is it's the rural areas that have all the mixed-race children running around as opposed to the oh-so-liberal urban meccas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top