U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,776,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Bruh real talk, and I hate to say this on here. But f*ck it, thats the problem with allot of us all over the map, not just in NYC, ATL, or DC. Everywhere, we dont own our own stuff. I was floored when I went Jamaica (the island) and saw Indians and Pakistanis owning all the little stores and shops down there.
If you think you're angry now, wait until you here about how the Chinese dominiate certain markets in West Africa!

To a great extent, unless a greater focus on fiscal and social literacy becomes the cornerstone of Black development, this situation isn't going to change. It's criminal how little middle to low class Americans of all colors simply do not understand how money and wealth works.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,663,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
2003. Not sure why that's important though...
it is important because when you came out, the job market was drastically different than it is today.

Quote:
All you've been doing is touting NYC, not "the north." How about you throw in some Buffalo and Rochester and Providence?
well if it wasn't one against 7 then it'd be easier for me to talk more about other areas but as it is now, i have to quote like 5 different ppl and one other person that insists on slinging personal attacks about cars.

i still haven't even quoted/debated with the lady from ny or like two or so other ppl that had good points.

anyway, its common knowledge that upstate ny is garbage (sorry, ppl in nys) but so are the rural towns of various southern states.
its also common knowledge that the black unemployment rate is higher nationwide than the national average.

Quote:
Obviously dude, you don't know what states constitute the South or you are being dishonest by not being more inclusive and comprehensive with your stats. Arkansas's unemployment rate is 7.1%, Louisiana's is 7.4%, Oklahoma's and Virginia's is 6.7%. Yes we have states struggling more than others, but it's not my argument that the South is an economic utopia.
i do know what the south is. ppl named a few states...actually, i think it was you that was the person that mentioned fl, tx, nc. now you're throwing in other states. why would i post other states when you mentioned fl, tx, nc in comparison to ny???

Quote:
LOL, I'm going to need you to look up the definition of "co-sign." I said that one metro area in particular isn't doing too well right now in the face of a global recession and you say, "Thanks for agreeing with me that the entire South is full of minimum wage jobs and people who can't make more than 20K-30K!" ROFL!!! You serious dude????????
show me where i said this exact sentence.

i said thanks for cosigning my opinion on nc.

Quote:

They would say don't move to any city, including your precious NYC, to find a job, but rather have the job locked down first and THEN move.
they would say the banking situation is precarious at best, the teaching situation is terrible, etc. etc. thats what they would say. they would say that they are all hoping for the best.

the problem with the south is that many cities in the south put all of their eggs in one basket (i.e. nc and the banking industry) whereas the north has variety within its job market.

Quote:
I'll let your own statement stand as a testimony against you:

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl.

That's your argument. Stick with it dude. But you won't because you're so friggin' off base until it's not funny.
and it is.

many parts of the south only offer 9-12 dollar an hour jobs for the youth.

i'm speaking from a mid 20's standpoint, not a 45 years old and established point of view.

Quote:
I still want to know about these people down this way who are taking jobs at Wal-Mart with degrees. Where did they go to school, what type of degrees do they have, what were their GPAs when they graduated, what towns/cities are they living in, etc.
see, you're thinking like an older person. let me clarify this before someone from some corner of CD runs with this...

your GPA and type of degree don't matter in this market at this time.

where you went to school right now doesn't matter at this time.

click on the employment section on CD. watch the news. times are mad hard right now.

ppl are desperate for anything. read some of the states' sections on CD and look at some of the threads. you have ppl that have been out of work for a year+, a few months, etc. that are happy to get jobs at department stores. its sad.

you have grandma competing with mr. fresh out of college. thats sad.

and again, this is everywhere, not just the south.

Last edited by eek; 11-11-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i do know what the south is. ppl named a few states...actually, i think it was you that was the person that mentioned fl, tx, nc. now you're throwing in other states. why would i post other states when you mentioned fl, tx, nc in comparison to ny???
Because you are the one dogging the South as a whole, so you need to do a better job of demonstrating your point by including more Southern states as examples. And really, I think you'd get a better picture by posting the unemployment rates of metro areas as opposed to entire states.

Quote:
show me where i said this exact sentence.

i said thanks for cosigning my opinion on nc.
No dude, I said things are a little rough here in Charlotte, not NC as a whole. NC has other areas, particularly the Triangle (one of the fastest-growing urban areas in America), that are doing better than us.

Quote:
they would say the banking situation is precarious at best, the teaching situation is terrible, etc. etc. thats what they would say. they would say that they are all hoping for the best.
Yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't jobs to be had in other areas. We're still getting job announcements from other sectors, including energy and healthcare. There are even banking jobs to be had if you know where to look. A guy I went to school with just recently got hired by Wachovia/Wells Fargo. Again, the advice would be to lock down a job first, then move.

Quote:
the problem with the south is that many cities in the south put all of their eggs in one basket (i.e. nc and the banking industry) whereas the north has variety within its job market.
Charlotte is really the only Southern city that overly relied on one industry to carry it along. That is not the whole state of NC (and it's obvious you don't have a clue about NC) nor is it the South as a whole. Atlanta, Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Richmond, Louisville, etc. all have pretty diversified local economies.

Quote:
many parts of the south only offer 9-12 dollar an hour jobs for the youth.
The rural parts, yes. They have to go to the major urban areas to get better jobs. It works like that everywhere, not just the South.

Quote:
see, you're thinking like an older person. let me clarify this before someone from some corner of CD runs with this...

your GPA and type of degree don't matter in this market at this time.

where you went to school right now doesn't matter at this time.

click on the employment section on CD. watch the news. times are mad hard right now.

ppl are desperate for anything. read some of the states' sections on CD and look at some of the threads. you have ppl that have been out of work for a year+, a few months, etc. that are happy to get jobs at department stores. its sad.

you have grandma competing with mr. fresh out of college. thats sad.

and again, this is everywhere, not just the south.
Thanks for avoiding my questions. Things like that STILL matter, even in tough times like this. As a matter of fact, because companies can now afford to be a little more picky because so many people are out of work, many of them are doing their due diligence to make sure they match up people with the right educational background and skill set for the jobs they have available because they don't want overly qualified people to jump ship at the first signs of improvement in the job market. So yes, this is indeed thinking like an "older" person. You're still quite wet behind the ears and don't have much experience with the job market, and that's probably why you hold to those unfounded opinions and assumptions.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I honestly believe the Northeast is the worst place for blacks when it comes to integrating into the mainstream society and feeling truly accepted. As for the black professionals in the Washington area, remember that the DC area has a ton of government jobs that tend not to racially discriminate, alongside that the DC private sector economy is solid in general.

As for Northern Virginia, it is more segregated by class. As for most of DC and Maryland, race is as much a factor in segregation as class. Don't believe me, ask a professional black person to walk to bourgeoisie parts of DC and MD like Georgetown, Capitol Hill, College Park, and Potomac. Compared that to walking through class-segregated yet racially integrated places like Arlington, Alexandria, Prince William, Loudoun, and Fairfax.

I have to call BS on that one. That would be a lot more credible if it was used to mention how transplant Westerners are making Texas more progressive, but I doubt that's the case for Northerners moving into places like NC and GA. As I stated, there's a stark difference between the uppity places in DC/MD and higher-end places in NoVA, and I honestly believe it's due to more Northeastern transplants going to more bourgeoisie places in DC and MD versus people from all over the country and world being attracted to NoVA. That's just my observation.

As for the OP, it seems like more blacks who move to places like Atlanta, Dallas, and DC are lemmings who want to self-segregate themselves into black communities, basically to live out the "separate but equal" concept that was pushed during the 20th century. Sorry, but from what I've heard, I don't buy Atlanta as some integrated melting pot. Now if I were to guess places in the South that people went to in order to find integration of the likes expected in more western states, I'd imagine places like Houston, Tampa, Charlotte, and the Hampton Roads are more in that category. You could throw in Austin, San Antonio, and Northern Virginia in there as well, but culturally, these cities are anything but Southern, with the first two being more Southwestern, and Northern VA being more Northeastern.
Moderator cut: rude comment LOL.How do you figure Charlotte,Tampa,and Hampton Roads are more racially diverse,multi-cultural or tolerant?You obviously have NEVER been to Atlanta or any of those other cities you mention.That is the most absurd thing I have heard on this ridiculously offensive thread.

Also blacks that move here most of the time come for opportunity,not to "self segregate themselves" as you put it.The thing about Atlanta is that if you want to live among others like you and not sacrifice class or luxury,you can.Most of the United States you cannot do that.That also does not always have to do with being racist.Some black people just want to come home to a place where they do not feel like they are being watched.

Not to mention that there are just as many white people by percentages as black people who are moving here.Its a myth that only black people are moving in droves to Atlanta!

Last edited by houstoner; 11-11-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How do you figure Charlotte,Tampa,and Hampton Roads are more racially diverse,multi-cultural or tolerant?
To be fair, he said that those cities were more integrated than Atlanta, not that they are more racially diverse, multicultural, or tolerant.

Quote:
Also blacks that move here most of the time come for opportunity,not to "self segregate themselves" as you put it.The thing about Atlanta is that if you want to live among others like you and not sacrifice class or luxury,you can.Most of the United States you cannot do that.That also does not always have to do with being racist.Some black people just want to come home to a place where they do not feel like they are being watched.
I agree. Not to mention that in some respects (and I stress some), we were better off as a people under "separate but equal" (although conditions were anything but equal).

Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
again, i'm not trying to imply or say that the south has nothing at all and that every person in the south is backwards, slow moving, slow talking, not about anything, etc. i'm not saying that there are no parks, no high paying jobs, etc. in the south.

reread what i'm saying.

and my list is not irrelevant to most blacks. please. you want things to do? opportunities (economic and cultural?) then come to nyc and experience it all. there's a reason nyc is how it is and the south is how it is. we believe in progression now. we believe in having, we believe in making something out of nothing, we believe in business first, personal stuff second.

also, spade, why would i talk about what the south has when the guy i quoted wanted me to post what the south doesn't have?

comprehend what you read. and most blacks live in the south because of the history of slavery in this country. thats where the roots are. ppl return because their great grand mothers and grand mothers lived there.

for *younger* ppl, which is what i said, you benefit from living in the north during your youth waaaay more than living in the south if you have a go getter mentality. you can make money here easily. the opportunities just aren't there in the south for "average" ppl, in comparison. key word, comparison.

i'm not talking about your lawyers, doctors, or anything.

*edit again*
and hell yeah i named buildings but guess what?

empire state building
twin towers before they fell
ubs

members of my fam work(ed) in the above. so they aren't just buildings, those are jobs.

let me add to that list:

mtv
nbc
ny daily news
wall st
steve madden (the person)
def jam

got fam that works for all of the above. all black.

there are opportunities that you'd never find in the south like that, that are accessible to "everyday people."

you won't need a masters degree and 1823432 years of experience to make 40k in the north.
You're right because it would be too hard to live on 40k in most of the north.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
k. since it has to be like that...

k. and you graduated when?

the economy is messed up right now, nationally, which is what i said. with that said, the job market has always been better, always been better, always been better in the north than in the south.
what is nc's unemployment rate (since you mention charlotte?) and what is ny's unemployment rate?

NY 8.8% which is BELOW THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
NC 10.4% which is ABOVE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
FL 11.2% which is above THE NATIONAL AVERAGE
GA 10.2% which IS THE NATIONAL AVERAGE

TEXAS is the only state mentioned in this thread so far with a lower unemployment rate than NY, at 8.3%.

oh ok. thanks. but:

[/i] you say that and then say:

oh ok. cool. swell. thx for the cosign.

that bank of america building in manhattan sure looks nice to a person in the heart of charlotte thats concerned for charlotte with wells fargo taking over wachovia and the bofa execs toying with the idea of a new nyc residence.

create a thread in the charlotte forum asking if you should move there to find a job. see what they say.

no, thats not my point. i posted my point already. comprehend what you read. there are more opportunities and better opportunities in the north. that is my point. there is no reason for a person to move from the north to the south other than family or some sort of financial reason (gentrification, retirement/wanting to buy a house, etc.).

i'll be back with data, statistics, etc.
I suppose you do not realize that those Southern States also have led the nation for over 30 years in job growth,and creation?The unemployment rate has little do with why people move unless its just terrible.So 8.8 vs 10.0 is not gonna get people from one state to another.generally most of the difference is 1to1.5 percent difference.That is not major or an insurmountable advantage.Especially considering that the unemployement rate currentl reflects the fact that more people move into the South at a much,much higher rate than the North.So all transplants that came just as the bubble burst are now unemployed.Yet the South still lead the nation in job growth.

New York and New Jersey ranked 50th and 48th in job growth overall according to a survey of CEO.Texas,NC,SC,GA,and TN,all rank in the top 5.
CEOs Select Best, Worst States for Job Growth and Business | Reuters

North Dakota
S.Dakota
Nebraska
Utah
Iowa
Montana
all have the lowest unemployment rates.Which would you move to?

The reasons people move down south are:
Weather
More Space
Greener,more trees,parks,outdoor activities year round
Friendlier
less corruption
Cleaner(not always,but a perception)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM

20 posts, read 30,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Moderator cut: rude comment

Not to mention that there are just as many white people by percentages as black people who are moving here.Its a myth that only black people are moving in droves to Atlanta!
I think The Baltimore paper recently printed a story on how Atlanta's growht is mostly all black people espeically since this decade started. Not many white people moving to the ATL anymore mostly blacks who see Atlanta as the mecca city. It's being marketed that way too. So nothing wrong with it. Atlanta has been successful marketing itself as the place for black people to make it so black families from all over the North and the West and Chicago and Detroit are all moving there and making a name for themselves.

I am a white guy so I don't want to convey the wrong message but it is an article that I read recently.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
To be fair, he said that those cities were more integrated than Atlanta, not that they are more racially diverse, multicultural, or tolerant.

I agree. Not to mention that in some respects (and I stress some), we were better off as a people under "separate but equal" (although conditions were anything but equal).
Well any conversation with integration and Tampa is crazy to me.Hampton Roads is not really a city,but a large area with many military installations,so yes and no.Charlotte I did not get the impression that it was bad ,but not more than in Atlanta.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bean View Post
I think The Baltimore paper recently printed a story on how Atlanta's growht is mostly all black people espeically since this decade started. Not many white people moving to the ATL anymore mostly blacks who see Atlanta as the mecca city. It's being marketed that way too. So nothing wrong with it. Atlanta has been successful marketing itself as the place for black people to make it so black families from all over the North and the West and Chicago and Detroit are all moving there and making a name for themselves.

I am a white guy so I don't want to convey the wrong message but it is an article that I read recently.
"But between 2000 and 2006, Atlanta's white population grew faster than that of any other U.S. city, according to the Brookings Institution. In 2000, Atlanta was 33 percent white and 61 percent black. In 2007, the numbers were 38 percent white and 57 percent black, according to U.S. Census data".

Washington Times - White candidate scrambles vote, attitudes in Atlanta race

Don't know where you got your view from but its just not true.I have had some white friends move here and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.