U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Success for African-Americans isn't limited to the South.

Bill Cosby - born ad raised in Philadelphia,PA and got his degree from Temple University in Philadelphia.

Carl Stokes - First African-American mayor of a major city(Cleveland,OH, born and raised)

Wellington Webb - from Denver,CO. First African-American mayor of Denver. Also, Norman B. Rice is from Denver,CO as well. He was the first African-American mayor of Seattle. Philip Bailey(member of Earth Wind and Fire) is also a Denver native.

Motown was fouded in Detroit.

Jet Magazine was founded in Chicago,IL.
Then, you have people with roots in both the North and the South:
Jim Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Walter Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jermain Wesley Loguen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harriet Tubman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and some others that were born or had roots originially in the North:
Sojourner Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jerome H. Holland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ernie Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lewis Howard Latimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Vashon: Information from Answers.com

Crispus Attucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W. E. B. Du Bois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edmonia Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul Robeson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sadie Tanner Mossell Alexander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alpha Phi Alpha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cab Calloway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok I hear what you are saying here. However, the South is more racist than the North. I can pinpoint places of the South where there are racist parts. You said, "It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York." Well you are incorrect. Chicago is very diversed, so how can the South be less racist than Chicago?

Ultimately, in everywhere there is racism. However the south is more racist than the north. Let us remember that the South were confederate states before. Also most of the KKK groups are located in the south if not, all.
You never really gave a reason why the south can't be less racist than Chicago except for the fact that Chicago is Chicago and The South is The South.

And being confederate states alone doesn't prove the south is any more racist than the north. Hell, I just mentioned in my last post that the north didn't want blacks involved either until they were losing.
 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,339,357 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
However, the South is more racist than the North.
Based on what? First of all, it needs to be understood that the dynamic is different between the North and the South. Minorities are largely confined to the major metropolitan areas in the North, whereas you'll find plenty of Blacks in particular in rural areas in the South.

Quote:
I can pinpoint places of the South where there are racist parts.
And I can pinpoint places in the North where there are racist parts.

Quote:
You said, "It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York." Well you are incorrect. Chicago is very diversed, so how can the South be less racist than Chicago?
Just because one place is more diverse than another doesn't automatically mean it's less racist. How did you come to that conclusion?

Quote:
Let us remember that the South were confederate states before.
And? If you think the North fought the South because they were humanitarians, you're wrong about that one buddy.

Quote:
Also most of the KKK groups are located in the south if not, all.
Neo-Nazi groups can pretty much be found everywhere in this country. Take a look at that map that was posted earlier.
 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 7,175,821 times
Reputation: 1675
anyone notice that the places with the most black people also have alot of racists groups.

And as somebody who has moved the south i'll cosign Spade. Chicago may be diverse on paper but, like he said its really segregated esp. in the core city(there are some intergrated suburbs tho). I cant speak on racism because other than petty things like staring and people following me in stores i havent really expirienced any blatant racism, but nobody will just go up to u and say "Hay boy im a fuggin nazi" so there might be some closet racists, who knows. I mean we had some racist dude in the chicago(land) forum a few months ago who kept creating new accounts talking that diversity bull , im sure he wouldnt say that bs to somebody's face tho'
And I think we all know about the harsh history between blacks and whites in chicago, pretty interesting too. But that was then.

my bad for the digression

Back to segregation... most old cities up north(yes including nyc) are segregated. I know when i first moved down south i was surprised in a way but realize that whites and blacks have been living side by side in the south for centuries. There was slavery, civil rights ect. but right now im sure that race relations in the south arent as bad. Im not saying they are perfect but Its not nearly as bad as people say.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 02-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: wrong word
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: houston
438 posts, read 1,127,855 times
Reputation: 252
I moved to the south from up north. I tried living in Seattle, but it never felt like home. there was no since of community there. And options such as church, entertainment, and dating are limited if you're black. Houston is home for me now. I moved here for the career opportunity, since of community, low cost of living, and diversity. But Chicago is still my hometown and that's where all my family resides. There are opportunities up north, but just doesn't seem to be as much for blacks as there are down south. Here i'm able to own my own home in a nice neighborhood. Up north I'd be forced to live in the hood. I don't do hood...lol.
 
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I moved to the south from up north. I tried living in Seattle, but it never felt like home. there was no since of community there. And options such as church, entertainment, and dating are limited if you're black. Houston is home for me now. I moved here for the career opportunity, since of community, low cost of living, and diversity. But Chicago is still my hometown and that's where all my family resides. There are opportunities up north, but just doesn't seem to be as much for blacks as there are down south. Here i'm able to own my own home in a nice neighborhood. Up north I'd be forced to live in the hood. I don't do hood...lol.
You did what worked for you. I havee different interests.

BTW, there is "community" in Seattle. You might want to check some of the threads in the Seattle forum, or ask pwright.
 
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I moved to the south from up north. I tried living in Seattle, but it never felt like home. there was no since of community there. And options such as church, entertainment, and dating are limited if you're black. Houston is home for me now. I moved here for the career opportunity, since of community, low cost of living, and diversity. But Chicago is still my hometown and that's where all my family resides. There are opportunities up north, but just doesn't seem to be as much for blacks as there are down south. Here i'm able to own my own home in a nice neighborhood. Up north I'd be forced to live in the hood. I don't do hood...lol.
What exactly do you mean by that?

I understand the move, but I think some people can live a regular life in the north and live in a nice neighborhood if they so desire.
 
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You did what worked for you. I havee different interests.

BTW, there is "community" in Seattle. You might want to check some of the threads in the Seattle forum, or ask pwright.
I guess the Central District, Rainier Beach and Columbia City, as well as a couple of other South End neighborhoods don't count.
 
Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess the Central District, Rainier Beach and Columbia City, as well as a couple of other South End neighborhoods don't count.
According to some people, those places don't count. Few people know that Quincy Jones grew up in Seattle, in the Central District, or the fact that King County was renamed for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There are things about the African-American community in Seattle that few people know about:Seattle - Tacoma Worship - Historic Sites - SoulOfAmerica
http://www.soulofamerica.com/seattle-events.phtm (broken link)
Seattle and Tacoma Guide - SoulOfAmerica
 
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
According to some people, those places don't count. Few people know that Quincy Jones grew up in Seattle, in the Central District, or the fact that King County was renamed for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There are things about the African-American community in Seattle that few people know about:Seattle - Tacoma Worship - Historic Sites - SoulOfAmerica
http://www.soulofamerica.com/seattle-events.phtm (broken link)
Seattle and Tacoma Guide - SoulOfAmerica
Can't forget Jimi Hendrix, Brandon Roy and Sir Mix-a-Lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top