U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
 
6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times
Reputation: 7983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah because this doesn't happen in other places in abundance throughout the country.
You shouldn't take my statement so lightly. I was traumatized by these kids. It wasn't some regular situation that you easily get over. And yes the same thing happened to me in Chicago when I first moved there. But it was more prominent in the south.

 
Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You shouldn't take my statement so lightly. I was traumatized by these kids. It wasn't some regular situation that you easily get over. And yes the same thing happened to me in Chicago when I first moved there. But it was more prominent in the south.
Is it really?? I've only experienced a few racist incidents and I grew up in a rather small conservative city in Texas.
 
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You shouldn't take my statement so lightly. I was traumatized by these kids. It wasn't some regular situation that you easily get over. And yes the same thing happened to me in Chicago when I first moved there. But it was more prominent in the south.
Yeah I'm going to go ahead it take it lightly.
 
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,437,669 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Based on what? First of all, it needs to be understood that the dynamic is different between the North and the South. Minorities are largely confined to the major metropolitan areas in the North, whereas you'll find plenty of Blacks in particular in rural areas in the South.



And I can pinpoint places in the North where there are racist parts.



Just because one place is more diverse than another doesn't automatically mean it's less racist. How did you come to that conclusion?



And? If you think the North fought the South because they were humanitarians, you're wrong about that one buddy.



Neo-Nazi groups can pretty much be found everywhere in this country. Take a look at that map that was posted earlier.
I know that in the North there is racism. However in the South, there are more racist parts than in the North.

What I mean about a place being diversed is that the people from a place or neighborhood will be more accepting when it comes to interracial couples to be together than in states/places like Mississippi, and Alabama.
Now do you know where I'm coming from?
 
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,529,520 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I know that in the North there is racism. However in the South, there are more racist parts than in the North.

What I mean about a place being diversed is that the people from a place or neighborhood will be more accepting when it comes to interracial couples to be together than in states/places like Mississippi, and Alabama.
Now do you know where I'm coming from?
You're coming from opinion. There's nothing wrong with opinions, but passing them off as fact is another thing. Can you read minds? I didn't think so. Look, there is no way to say there are more racist people in one place or another. You might be able to say there are more news stories about racist people in the South, but otherwise you can pretty much shut it on that note. That's what we call a personal belief. I personally believe that because people are so used to being politically correct in areas in the Northeast, that people are more covertly racist, but that's just my opinion.
 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
 
6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times
Reputation: 7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I'm going to go ahead it take it lightly.
By all means, go ahead. You seem very defensive for no reason and it's pissing me off. I don't know why your doing that. But I know what I have had to deal with and what I've had to go through. And it was not something you can just write off as "Oh whatever. That happens everywhere!..". That doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't clarify why it happens at all!! And I stand by what I said! I don't care if you take it lightly!
 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
 
6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times
Reputation: 7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is it really?? I've only experienced a few racist incidents and I grew up in a rather small conservative city in Texas.
Well how this whole thing works is that, when your the minority race in a classroom full of the same majority race, there's always gonna be the slick comments that start rolling. In Texas, probably 85% of the time I was there, I was 1 of few black students in a majority Mexican populated classroom. I never had any problems with them at all. It's just that someone always has prejudices and bias views against other races and you know that person ALWAYS has to say something slick and it won't bother them one bit only because they're race dominates the entire school. What is there to be afraid of? Lol Get it?
 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well how this whole thing works is that, when your the minority race in a classroom full of the same majority race, there's always gonna be the slick comments that start rolling. In Texas, probably 85% of the time I was there, I was 1 of few black students in a majority Mexican populated classroom. I never had any problems with them at all. It's just that someone always has prejudices and bias views against other races and you know that person ALWAYS has to say something slick and it won't bother them one bit only because they're race dominates the entire school. What is there to be afraid of? Lol Get it?
Well I'm assuming you were in a border town or close to the border of Mexico??? Areas around there do show hostility towards other races, but the majority of Texas isn't like that.

Go to places like Houston or Dallas and your experience will be much different.
 
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
 
486 posts, read 915,131 times
Reputation: 321
Really, only the border areas? I had always heard that east Texas was the worst part of the state for that kind of stuff.
 
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
 
486 posts, read 915,131 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I'm assuming you were in a border town or close to the border of Mexico??? Areas around there do show hostility towards other races, but the majority of Texas isn't like that.

Go to places like Houston or Dallas and your experience will be much different.
Really? The border areas are the worst? I had heard that east Texas had some of the worst problems with racist attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top