U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,173,105 times

Advertisements

wow, id say the only racist thing that happended was when my friend who was mexican and me were playing basketball and then this police car just drove by the court and started looking at us behind the gates. I guess some shady activity was going on so he thought that we were the ones.

then there was this kid who said s*** about black people. I took care of him

but other that that, ive never really experienced any hardcore racism except some other petty things

Oh and the midwest can get just as bad as the south. Just look at history

Last edited by mas23; 02-07-2010 at 06:04 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 06:01 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,173,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Columbus,OH is among those cities as well. In fact, of the top 10 cities that were considered the great ones for interracial dating/couples, none of them are in the South.
really? Ive seen alot of IR couples in north carolina...

i heard about the bay. i got a cousin who moved there from chicago and he said there are alot of IR couples.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM

56,643 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
really? Ive seen alot of IR couples in north carolina...

i heard about the bay. i got a cousin who moved there from chicago and he said there are alot of IR couples.
I think a lot of the IR's in NC are due to the military presence in cities like Goldsboro, Fayetteville, Jacksonville, Elizabeth City and Havelock.

There are quite a few Northerners of various backgrounds that live in NC now too. So, that could be a reason why too.

Also, there are parts of NC that have been multicultural for a long time like Robeson County, which has a strong Native American presence(Lumbee), along with the Black and White presence. There is info. that states that Lumbees are supposedly a tri-racial Native group anyway.

My sister in Charlotte says there are IR couples at her church too. So, it does occur more in the South than people realize and really, always has "on the low".

Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 PM

56,643 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It does depend where in the Midwest. Minneapolis is supposedly the third best city for interracial dating/couples, behind San Francisco and Seattle being #1 and #2.
Actually, some of the best communities for IR dating/couples are smaller communities like Columbia MD and Montclair NJ. Madison WI is another Midwestern city that is known for having it's share if IR couples as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I'm assuming you were in a border town or close to the border of Mexico??? Areas around there do show hostility towards other races, but the majority of Texas isn't like that.

Go to places like Houston or Dallas and your experience will be much different.
Actually San Antonio. But I lived in different parts of the city.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM

48,192 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, some of the best communities for IR dating/couples are smaller communities like Columbia MD and Montclair NJ. Madison WI is another Midwestern city that is known for having it's share if IR couples as well.
Along with Mpls,MN. The smaller communities might be good for interracial communities for certain reasons, such as a history of being relatively progressive, or in Montclair's case, the university influence could be a good influence on it.
On a side note, I have a friend who went to Kent State University, in Kent,OH. She told me about her visit to Cincinnati. She found Cincinnati to be racist and insular. She found Kent,OH to be more welcoming and progressive. One might think that Cincinnati might be more progressive, being a major league city, and having 2 big universities(University of Cincinnati and Xavier University). Then again, Cincinnati has a history checkered in racial violence and riots. Kent is literally a college town. Probably a similar reason why Madison is more progressive. Madison(as well as Columbus,OH) is a college town(on a much larger scale).
East Lansing, I can't figure out.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 PM

48,192 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
I think a lot of the IR's in NC are due to the military presence in cities like Goldsboro, Fayetteville, Jacksonville, Elizabeth City and Havelock.

There are quite a few Northerners of various backgrounds that live in NC now too. So, that could be a reason why too.

Also, there are parts of NC that have been multicultural for a long time like Robeson County, which has a strong Native American presence(Lumbee), along with the Black and White presence. There is info. that states that Lumbees are supposedly a tri-racial Native group anyway.

My sister in Charlotte says there are IR couples at her church too. So, it does occur more in the South than people realize and really, always has "on the low".
For the South, I would say North Carolina is rather progressive.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,570,502 times
Of course there is racism everywhere. The main difference - besides the actual amount of racism, which is debatable - between the North (Midwest) and the South is, in the South people tend to be openly racist, while in the Midwest any racism is covert and kept in private. I would much rather deal with covert than overt racism.

Also, the VAST majority of racism and intolerance that I've personally experienced has come from blacks, not whites.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,856,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wouldn't move South if I were you. You are very privileged to be living in a place where your not ostracized by peers because of your race and the way you speak and act. Living in Texas and Florida, I have dealt with that time and time again. Unless you grew up there, I would not be so keen on the idea that it is a "hotspot" for African-Americans. Most likely, all your friends just moved to the south for college or because they purchased a home like alot of So.Cal Natives i've met.
I never had the intention on moving out of my home state even though the women out here are promiscuous and picky on men. I've been to the South a few times and it really wasn't for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,317,426 times
Quote:
They only listed major cities or cities 250,000 pop or more. I heard Madison,WI is fairly liberal. As for major cities, Minneapolis is in the top 10 and supposedly the best major Midwest city for IRR. Not one major southern city made the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.