U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,283,787 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy1981 View Post
For your info MLK was a Republican i.e. conservative & so was Lincoln if you want to know the true roots of the klan it was democrats who helped create the ugly kkk.

You are right on the south voting for democrats back in the day but now it's diverse & it can be anyone's ball game in the political realm.

cites: African American History I & II & American History I & II
No.MLK SR was republican until Kennedy got MLK jr out of Jail.
Martin Luther King Jr was not a conservative.He was heavinly influenced by:
Quote:
Bayard Rustin (March 17, 1912 – August 24, 1987) was an American civil rights activist, important largely behind the scenes in the civil rights movement of the 1960s and earlier, and the main organizer of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.[1] He counseled Martin Luther King, Jr. on the techniques of nonviolent resistance. He became an advocate on behalf of gay and lesbian causes in the latter part of his career; however, his homosexuality was the basis for attacks from government officials and agencies as well as from interest groups.

Rustin took leave from the War Resisters League in 1956 to advise Martin Luther King Jr. on Gandhian tactics
WIKA

In a statement released through the King Center published in an AP article in July 2008 at Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/07/05/kingrepublicans.html - broken link),
Quote:
Martin Luther King III said, "It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican. It is even more outrageous to suggest that he would support the Republican Party of today, which has spent so much time and effort trying to suppress African-American votes in Florida and many other states."
And this Wash Post article in 2006 says King actually voted for LBJ in 1964. Controversial Ad Links MLK, GOP - washingtonpost.com
In fact, in "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.," which was published after King's death from his written material and records, King called the 1964 Republican national convention that nominated Goldwater a "frenzied wedding ... of the KKK and the radical right."

 
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Soon to be Southlake, TX
648 posts, read 1,416,560 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Interesting comment. Why is the Northeast the best place for black people?

I guess I don't view the South as progressive...at least not politically. We can always count on that region of the country to vote the way the klan does, for the Conservative agenda. This despite so much black presence.
That is a ridiculous statement. As a business owner, I can tell you that the Democratic agenda will hurt my business more than the Republican... if my taxes increase, employees will be laid off.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
That is a ridiculous statement. As a business owner, I can tell you that the Democratic agenda will hurt my business more than the Republican... if my taxes increase, employees will be laid off.
It might hurt your business, true. I am also going to say this. I am very cynical about alot of things and one of them is politics. People vote for what they feel is in their best personal interest. You vote Republican because you are a business owner. Much of the African-American population will not vote Republican, especially after living through the Reagan and Bush II administration because many African-Americans are concerned about their quality of life. Reagan(a Republican) did not support any Civil Rights legislation. Barry Goldwater, a Republican candidate, did not support sweeping legislation of Civil Rights laws. He preferred that the states decided that. Personally, I do not believe the states should have had a say in it. The Civil Rights legislation should have just been applied to everyone, period. My reasoning: I should have the same right to vote or do other things as anyone else does, wherever I want, and race should not be the issue. Reagan wasn't for most of the Civil Rights legislation(but in the 1980's, it was already law). If much of the African-American population does not vote Republican or trust the Republican Party, there is a reason for it: Reagan, the South and Civil Rights : NPR

In many ways it can make some people wonder why the large bulk of the African-American population is moving to the Southeast, a staunchly Republican region.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
In many ways it can make some people wonder why the large bulk of the African-American population is moving to the Southeast, a staunchly Republican region.
Most elections in the Southeast go republican, but it's not the way most people imagine. It's not like Republicans are winning most elections by like 90% or something. LOL.
Anyway, the most Democratic parts of the south are the big cities and the areas where African-Americans make up the majority of the population. Look at these maps:
2008 Presidential elections county-by-county returns:

Counties with the highest concentration of African-Americans (from Wikipedia):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/New_2000_black_percent.gif (broken link)

Of course, most African-Americans would not match up with the scary socialist latte drinking liberal (even though I do) that Republicans have of Democrats. But most African-Americans agree with the civil rights, labor, economic and foreign policy positions of the Democratic Party. The only difference is that younger African-Americans tend to be more liberal in regards to social policies (Abortion, gay rights, etc) where older African-Americans tend to be more conservative. Those are minor issues however since the Democratic Party doesn't require it's members to agree 100% "or else" with the party's positions like the Republican party.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No.MLK SR was republican until Kennedy got MLK jr out of Jail.
Yup, but that's only half the story. After the Dixiecrats were purged from the Democratic Party, the Republican Party spent many years courting their vote. Then there was the Southern Strategy: Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It always amazes me how much people ignore history.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yup, but that's only half the story. After the Dixiecrats were purged from the Democratic Party, the Republican Party spent many years courting their vote. Then there was the Southern Strategy: Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It always amazes me how much people ignore history.
I didn't know the Democrats purged the Dixiecrats. At the same time, I don't think it was some kind of coincidence that the South started voted for the Republican Party in solidly after the Civil Rights act was passed(not to mention Democrats getting the African-American vote).
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
 
148 posts, read 513,020 times
Reputation: 113
well lets see As a young girl in the north with all the riots going on from both whites and blacks hiding on the floor of the back seat car of your car with your dad driving when Blacks are throwing rocks at your car and and the whites dont like you because you had a black family over. And your dad stands up to his so called friends No matter what I feel or raised up to believe there will always be people who do not agree with me . Which is great that is waht America is all about. Your right I dont want to get involved with racist crap because you see I try to treat people the way I want to be treated and if I see someone no matter what race being mistreated I will stand up for that person. No body can change history you learn from it and you try to change it for the better so our children or grandchildren and so on do not have to go through the same a pain. Does not make me comfortable. because I am not uncomfortable with what you say. We live in a country where we still have freedom of speech. I dont blame you for what happened to me when I was younger nor the future generation of anyones children, So I make a comment and you come back with if we where in person you would not be as friendly. Why ??? Because we do not agree on the same thing . You have your say I have mine. You can have 100 people in one room and have someone give a speech your going to have 100 different people who come out with different feelings. Thats the right of freedom of speech. I may be ignorant to you and I know how people feel when they are struggling . being non racistest has more then having family members or friend of different race. Its how you treat people and respect a person who is not of the same race. At least the good old saying goes At least we can agree on one thing and that is we do not agree on everything.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
African americans are going to South...But what about the west for them.Is it a good choice ????
I read that West is most tolerant,more diverse...LA,SF,Silicon valley,Seattle,Portland...That would be better .Thoughts
It's easy to be tolerant when when there are hardly blacks there. Look at the LA area. They are one of the few places in the west coast that has a high population of blacks and they have had race riots just like anywhere else. You don't hear about that stuff in SF, Seattle, and Portland because the black community in those cities is just too small.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Most elections in the Southeast go republican, but it's not the way most people imagine. It's not like Republicans are winning most elections by like 90% or something. LOL.
Anyway, the most Democratic parts of the south are the big cities and the areas where African-Americans make up the majority of the population. Look at these maps:
2008 Presidential elections county-by-county returns:
Counties with the highest concentration of African-Americans (from Wikipedia):
Of course, most African-Americans would not match up with the scary socialist latte drinking liberal (even though I do) that Republicans have of Democrats. But most African-Americans agree with the civil rights, labor, economic and foreign policy positions of the Democratic Party. The only difference is that younger African-Americans tend to be more liberal in regards to social policies (Abortion, gay rights, etc) where older African-Americans tend to be more conservative. Those are minor issues however since the Democratic Party doesn't require it's members to agree 100% "or else" with the party's positions like the Republican party.
Most elections have gone Republican in the South and most are not winning by "large" margins. Thing is, there is some interesting things to look at. States that don't have large African-American populations, such as Iowa, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are voting Democrat in large numbers. The states that got the Republican vote, such as Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi, have among the largest African-American populations. Texas won the Republic vote, but barely. It speak to political balkanization in many ways. It is true that the cities(not states) with the largest African-American populations voted Democrat.
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,283,787 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
well lets see As a young girl in the north with all the riots going on from both whites and blacks hiding on the floor of the back seat car of your car with your dad driving when Blacks are throwing rocks at your car and and the whites dont like you because you had a black family over. And your dad stands up to his so called friends No matter what I feel or raised up to believe there will always be people who do not agree with me . Which is great that is waht America is all about. Your right I dont want to get involved with racist crap because you see I try to treat people the way I want to be treated and if I see someone no matter what race being mistreated I will stand up for that person. No body can change history you learn from it and you try to change it for the better so our children or grandchildren and so on do not have to go through the same a pain. Does not make me comfortable. because I am not uncomfortable with what you say. We live in a country where we still have freedom of speech. I dont blame you for what happened to me when I was younger nor the future generation of anyones children, So I make a comment and you come back with if we where in person you would not be as friendly. Why ??? Because we do not agree on the same thing . You have your say I have mine. You can have 100 people in one room and have someone give a speech your going to have 100 different people who come out with different feelings. Thats the right of freedom of speech. I may be ignorant to you and I know how people feel when they are struggling . being non racistest has more then having family members or friend of different race. Its how you treat people and respect a person who is not of the same race. At least the good old saying goes At least we can agree on one thing and that is we do not agree on everything.

I agree if the number one rule is always treat people the way you would like to be treated then yes,there would NOT be so much trouble.Part of the problem is that our suspicious nature does not allow for us to get to know the individual.No I sympathize with you with what happened.I was making the point that what if I met you and I knew nothing of your past,but upon meeting you tell me that black people have the Black PANTHERS-"they are like the KKK" and the other things you mentioned.Not knowing your past,it would b.e logical for me to assume because of your statements that you are a person who are making excuses for those who traditionaly have made life miserable for blacks.I don't mean to sound harsh because personally I am the type that reacts slow.I just meant that because there are so many people who really are racist,that are not always obvious,when you go through life being hurt by people like that who you thought you could trust,you learn to read between the lines.Most racist people will not tell you verbatim they are racist in 2010.Im thankful that though all my parents had to endure what they had to in the worst part of this countries history,they never taught me to hate back.So no we don't always have to agree,but we should always try to respect each other.You have my respect for at least saying how you feel.

Last edited by afonega1; 02-16-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top