U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Reputation: 3232

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Being ghetto/thugged out/gangsta does not equal "black" American. That's like saying being a redneck (no offense to anyone) is equal to being a "white" American.

 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas is headed in that direction.
Really? I'm glad NY still is "holding it down". It does have more Black people than any other state in the US.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,262,997 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why are you afraid of being around other races/ethnicities/cultures? Isn't that segregation? How is that any better than whites fleeing areas because blacks started moving in?
It's not any better and that's the absurdity of it all. I'm a black guy and I'll be the first to tell you that yes, black people can be racist too (shocker for some people)!

If racism and bigotry is to end, everyone has to do it. A writer in early 20th century by the name of Nannie Burroughs wrote "the negro must stop expecting god and white folk to do for him what he can do for himself". Bill Cobsy and others have also reiterated this statement. It can't just be that white people stop calling black people names and consider black Americans for jobs too:

Some black Americans hold themselves down as much as any Jim Crow law because they don't allow themselves to become anything more than what was allowed in the Jim Crow era. The laws have changed, but for some, the mentality hasn't. And those who cling to this mentality aren't somehow "real" black people in contrast to others. Myself? I consider Bill Cosby, Ben Carson and Dr. Freeman who gave me my physical this morning to be "real" black people, not "trying to be white".
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why are you afraid of being around other races/ethnicities/cultures? Isn't that segregation? How is that any better than whites fleeing areas because blacks started moving in?
I don't think that is what she is saying. I've heard this concern from other Black folks from CA too. What I think she is getting at is that the concerns and culture of Black folks in CA is being pushed further and further under the rug. I think the fact she lived there in the first place, tells me that it's not about segregation, but about having concerns and culture being a cherish part of the overall society there.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? I'm glad NY still is "holding it down". It does have more Black people than any other state in the US.
Our black population is still growing though; I believe we just recently did or close to passing the 3 million mark. We have the fastest growing black population in America after Georgia. However, our asian population and especially our latino population is growing like crazy.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,262,997 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? I'm glad NY still is "holding it down". It does have more Black people than any other state in the US.
But as a percentage? Middle of the road.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Reputation: 3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It's not any better and that's the absurdity of it all. I'm a black guy and I'll be the first to tell you that yes, black people can be racist too (shocker for some people)!

If racism and bigotry is to end, everyone has to do it. A writer in early 20th century by the name of Nannie Burroughs wrote "the negro must stop expecting god and white folk to do for him what he can do for himself". Bill Cobsy and others have also reiterated this statement. It can't just be that white people stop calling black people names and consider black Americans for jobs too:

Some black Americans hold themselves down as much as any Jim Crow law because they don't allow themselves to become anything more than what was allowed in the Jim Crow era. The laws have changed, but for some, the mentality hasn't. And those who cling to this mentality aren't somehow "real" black people in contrast to others. Myself? I consider Bill Cosby, Ben Carson and Dr. Freeman who gave me my physical this morning to be "real" black people, not "trying to be white".
I really wish more black people had this attitude. There are so many out there who still have the slave mentality, and think if you're smart, have ambition, etc., you're "acting white." If you speak correct English, you're "talking white." Everything is racism, nothing is your own fault. I'm multiracial, but I get this all the time from certain ignorant black people. It sickens me. Bill Cosby was 100% right, blacks are holding themselves back with the idiotic slave mentality.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Reputation: 3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Our black population is still growing though; I believe we just recently did or close to passing the 3 million mark. We have the fastest growing black population in America after Georgia. However, our asian population and especially our latino population is growing like crazy.
Here's a state you probably wouldn't think of: North Dakota also has a rapidly growing black (as well as Asian and Hispanic) population.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Our black population is still growing though; I believe we just recently did or close to passing the 3 million mark. We have the fastest growing black population in America after Georgia. However, our asian population and especially our latino population is growing like crazy.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Geography has a lot to do with that. For instance, with NY, most of the Hispanics/Latinos here come from the Caribbean and it isn't as easy for them to immigrate here, as it would for say Mexicans to come to Texas, California and other Southwestern states. Same with the proximity of Asian immigrants to those states in comparison to NY. While NY still has their share, it's not like CA and Texas.

What also makes it more interesting for NY is that many of the Hispanics/Latinos are of African descent. So, there is a somewhat shared culture between African-Americans/Blacks with roots in the Caribbean and the Hispanic/Latino communities here. In TX and CA, the Hispanics/Latinos are more Mestizo(Native/Spanish and some African mix). So, the cultures are generally more different.

NY's Black population is also growing, but mainly due to immigration from the Caribbean and Africa.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I really wish more black people had this attitude. There are so many out there who still have the slave mentality, and think if you're smart, have ambition, etc., you're "acting white." If you speak correct English, you're "talking white." Everything is racism, nothing is your own fault. I'm multiracial, but I get this all the time from certain ignorant black people. It sickens me. Bill Cosby was 100% right, blacks are holding themselves back with the idiotic slave mentality.
I think this is so over exaggerated, to be honest. While you might get some that do this, I think most Black people actually give their own props for getting an education and succeeding.

Again, you will actually get some whites that give you this problem, as I've witnessed that myself in terms of not being "stereotypical" per se. So, it isn't just Black folks that do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top