U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,337,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I think a better question is "Why African Americans move on perceived perception or hype?" Never understood it. Really I would hope every black person in America would not want to concentrate in one city (Atlanta). "Really" think about it how boring? The south is huge region. The only southern city that has been discussed up until this point indepth is Atlanta. What are my other choices Dallas,Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Houston, Miami etc... What do these cities have to offer? What makes these cities great for African American? What are the living and working enviorments like? etc...
Atlanta got the jump on the reverse migration trend among African Americans because for the longest time, it was the most progressive Southern city in terms of race relations. There have been Black mayors running the city for some time now, other Black leaders (police chief, etc.), successful Black businesspeople, etc. This has been since the 70's when it was quite rare to see these things in a major American city, and that image and reputation has persisted until this day. So it wasn't just "perceived perception" or "hype" that drew, draws, and continues to draw African Americans to Atlanta; it was based on real progress. Now if people took that to mean that they could just move to the city and a great job would magically fall in their lap, then that misguided notion is on them. But other cities have also been quiet beneficiaries of the reverse migration trend as well. This information is available if you just do a few simple Google searches.

The New Great Migration: Black Americans' Return to the South, 1965-2000 - Brookings Institution

Best Places for African Americans to Live in the US

Best Way - The Best Places to Live for African Americans | eHow.com

Charlotte Ranked #1 for African Americans

Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,337,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My man. Historically, Socially, and Financially, Blacks are finding out the South may be the best place for them. Even with both great migrations, the South still had over 50% of this country's black population. According to the US Census designated states, 18 states have over a million blacks. 11 states in the South had over a million Blacks compared to only 3 from the Midwest, 3from the from the Northeast, and 1 from the West. Heck, 4 out of the 6 states that have over 2 million blacks reside in the South. The Black American Culture is more abundant in the South than it is any other region. It's cheap and there are more opportunities. What's happening now is that Blacks are just simply returning back to the South.
Precisely. There are many stories out there about Blacks returning home to the South:

New South: A return to Southern roots : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis

Family roots lure many African-Americans back to South - CNN.com

Blacks Returning To The South - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Quote:
My man. Historically, Socially, and Financially, Blacks are finding out the South may be the best place for them. Even with both great migrations, the South still had over 50% of this country's black population. According to the US Census designated states, 18 states have over a million blacks. 11 states in the South had over a million Blacks compared to only 3 from the Midwest, 3from the from the Northeast, and 1 from the West. Heck, 4 out of the 6 states that have over 2 million blacks reside in the South. The Black American Culture is more abundant in the South than it is any other region. It's cheap and there are more opportunities. What's happening now is that Blacks are just simply returning back to the South.
I have to wonder about things here in DFW. If thats the case, then why is Dallas loseing african-americans and why is DFW's African American growth rate flat? Assuming DFW is part of the south anyway (which is a whole other topic).

DFW Metropolitan Area Demographics

Hispanics and Asians are growing more in number than either whites or blacks it seems.

From data Ive seen (speaking from percentages), Houston and Atlanta are becoming much bigger for african americans and DFW is becoming bigger for Hispanics.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM

102 posts, read 265,581 times
I am not going to quote anyone but I am speaking to a few different posters.

Someone said that nobody would verbally assault but they would be looking at them and thinking racist thoughts? You must be looking for racism really hard, which is a shame because you will start misinterpreting every single act someone does as racially motivated.

You don't have to look for it in the south, for some reason people of all races feel comfortable with sharing their racist thoughts with me and I've heard some sick and twisted stuff. You see it whenever there is some kind of black festival and business and roads close and hotels try to find ways not to accept anyone. You see black people getting pulled over on bicycles for being suspicious. I've seen black people who wanted to go jogging or walking for exercise and get stopped by police. "What are you doing, Where you going" Then they check for Warrants."Can I search your pockets." etc...

I'll take class segregation over racial segregation any day. Down here down south you see poor white neighborhoods with people living in shacks and trailers but then you see black neighborhoods with nice cookie cutter houses. But when the majority of the population (white folks) don't wanna live there, so of course the property values plummet. You will understand the frustration when you can't sell your nice pool home for a decent price because of the racial make-up of the neighborhood.

Germantown on the other hand, my neighborhood was considerably blacker than it was when we purchased our home but we were still able to sell it for double what we paid.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,278,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
No I am not joking. If it's a smaller percentage then how is it the same number? That's my point. I didn't say that there were no black people in VA I said fewer there's a difference. Northern Virginia does NOT have more black people than DC's Maryland suburbs.

Black population of Montgomery and Prince George's counties: 663,570
Black population of Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William counties: 233,589
1. That's the DC Area you're looking at, not the entire states.
2. If those numbers are right, they are obviously heavily affected by a single county, Prince Georges County, which has 527,183 blacks out of a total population of 825,924. The only other (county-level) jurisdiction in Maryland with a black majority is Baltimore.
3. Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, and Richmond, Virginia are all at least 50% black.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
Don't even bother responding to this guy, he's just a bigot.

Anyway, the reason I say the Northeast is the best is because down south it is still segregated. The northeast is segregated too, however, not by race but by class. There are a lot more professional blacks in the Northeast. Well I don't want to generalize a whole region but I can speak on the DC/MD/VA sector because that is where I am from.

Racism down here is institutionalized. Many people down here hold the same close-minded views as JMadison, the troll I quoted in this post.
Houston is the south, and is one the most if not THE most integrated major city in all of America. Stop generalizing.

You are right about DC/Md/Va, though. Washington is an excellent city for blacks.

I can't speak for Atlanta, but blacks and other races get along just fine in Texas.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,222 times
Quote:
Say a word!

The fact of the matter is that the South is where it's at. And the numbers don't lie.

Black New Yorkers are LITERALLY trading in their public housing for a single family home in a decent neighborhood down south. Which is exactly what my grandpa did in the 70s. He went from the roach towers in Brooklyn to now owning his own piece of land in Georgia lol.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I have to wonder about things here in DFW. If thats the case, then why is Dallas loseing african-americans and why is DFW's African American growth rate flat? Assuming DFW is part of the south anyway (which is a whole other topic).

DFW Metropolitan Area Demographics

Hispanics and Asians are growing more in number than either whites or blacks it seems.

From data Ive seen (speaking from percentages), Houston and Atlanta are becoming much bigger for african americans and DFW is becoming bigger for Hispanics.
Houston has always seemed to have the more "black-friendly" reputation than Dallas. Dallas has always been looked at as more conservative and "good ol' boy" and country-er than Houston, so the area doesn't seem to be as attractive to African Americans. When I was considering relocating to Dallas in the past, even people in Dallas were telling me to "Go to Houston instead" and lamented about the lack of black professionals in the area. Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of blacks who have moved to the area and like it just fine. But the Metroplex doesn't seem to have the appeal of Houston or Atlanta for black professionals.

I moved to Atlanta a few years back, and while I like it here, I do finds the city to be overrated in many ways. And there are a lot of people who buy into the perceived hype and don't do proper research before jumping the gun to move here. I know that Houston and Charlotte are often seen as alternatives to Atlanta for black professionals. So is Dallas, but for some reason, the Metroplex just doesn't seem to appeal to as many. :shrugs:

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,531,826 times
Well, one thing I've noticed from living in the Northeast, especially as an African-American, is that to a certain extent, people in this region talk about race and race-class interaction and people in the South live it (whether there are positive/negative implications and IMO, especially because of historic social pressure). It's not to say that areas of Boston don't have racial/ethnic diversity, but you can be fairly good at predicting the direction (and area) in which certain people live, simply based on race/ethnicity here. That goes for more cities than just Boston.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,997,813 times
If we're talking about the small towns/rural areas then yes, the South is a lot less progressive racially.

However, if we're talking about the major cities, and since Atlanta is the city mentioned, then it's definitely not fair to make blanket statements about the north being more racially progressive than the south. For all the people I've heard talk Boston up as some type of progressive utopia, my parents (black and latino) experienced decidedly more race-based nastiness up there than any of the other places they've lived, and a friend of ours who went to Harvard Law immediately left for DC, because he saw barely any black people of status up there. I'd say Boston has at least as many, if not more, racial issues than places like Atlanta, Charlotte or Louisville. And let's not forget Howard Beach and Bensonhurst in NYC.

Basically, a lot of southern cities have such large, long-standing black populations that people were basically forced to find ways to live together, whereas you see a lot more white-dominated sections of northern metro areas.

And again, there is the fact that 250 grand buys you a nice house in a nice area in the South, and lands you in a slum in the Northeast/California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.