U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,875 posts, read 6,632,343 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Republicans are making the south the hot spot. Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston are booming... while Democratic states such as New York and California are broke. Democrats complain about Republicans, and yet so many of these liberals are moving down to these conservative states to for low taxes, a better quality of life, and booming cities.

Looks like the south is the most progressive now. People need to stop thinking Republicans are racist, as a Republican myself, I know for a fact I am not racist, I would love world peace, and I would love it if everybody could live well... but I have the common sense to comprehend that this is not possible, and that people need to work to reach their dreams, peace is not possible, and racism will always exist. My family was poor, and we made it, refusing any help from the government... no food stamps, no welfare, nothing... I went to school, my dad worked his butt off trying to spark the business, and my mom held the apartment together. With all that hard work living in poverty in Brooklyn... the business took off and is going strong. I do not feel bad for any poor American, food stamps or welfare.... I have seen how much people abuse food stamps and welfare here, and it angers me to see that my taxes are paying for junk food and drugs for these poor people I should supposedly feel bad for. It is people like my family who make this country successful, who even when poor would not accept help from the government because we believe in hard work to achieve our goals, we believe in making it ourselves.

Excuse me for writing all of that, but it is the truth, liberal ideas are just a cover up of the reality... to cover up the poor... to cover up racism... to cover up international relations... saying what they are doing is working, when it is boiling under the lid they put on it... because they do not see the reality of life in poverty and they do not see the reality of where their tax money really goes and how they can beat the system and use even food stamps to buy drugs.

I am sorry for this, but I feel as though I have had this sock in my mouth on this website for a while. I am sick of people taking every chance they get to bash Republicans, because I rarely see Republicans taking every chance they get to bash liberals... in every thread, and I know there are plenty of Republicans on here, it all begins with smart remarks from a liberal.
First off I would like to commend you for executing the American dream .It is good to know that in this country hard work will take you as far as you need to go.I do sincerely believe that.More people who are down and out need stories of inspiration to help themselves out of poor situations.

That said I have some disagreements with somethings you say.I am curious to know how old you are?I asked because of these reaseons.

1)if you were born within the last 30-40 years(the sixties) it is much different than prior to those years.Why?
Well the greatest expansion of our country happened from the 1930's and slowed in the 1970's.You could do anything to make money and someone was always willing to give you a hand.Today its just not like that.Everybody is out on their own.ot an excuse just the truth.People dontv help each other out like they used to.

2)the breakdown of the Family.DRUGS<DRUGS<DRUGS!!These kileed the cities.Even when people were poor they had hope and each other to pull through.A mother of 15 with 3 children by different fathers is more than likely gonna raise those children while she works.So yes she could do it.Its her own fault.So why not make her pay for it?Not my kids.Truth is that we would rather wait for those 3 kids that have had little upbringing and put them in jail and pay for room and board but not pay for daycare or extended schooling!!Regardless of why these kids are growing up without being taught right from wrong,The answer is not cut off her food stamps!!Survival of the fittest means unfortunately does not necessarily mean making the most money and having a family.

I also I do not agree that because you identify with Republican ideals that you must somehow be racist.It has not always been that way for the party of Lincoln.The Republicans got this reputation due to the likes of David Duke,Rush Limbaugh,Pat Roberts,Ralph Reed,Jesse Helms,Clarence Thomas,Mark Furhman,Ann Colture,Sean Hannity,(The rest of FOX NEWS),Dick Cheney,The Heritage Foundation,etc......

I don't consider myself a liberal ore conservative.In doing so regulates you to a small way of thinking.However I got say that it is "liberal" ideas that in the past have allowed for thing such as:
Womens Suffrage
Allow for blacks to vote,Equal rights
Family leave bill
Social Security,Medicaid,etc

So you want to talk about progressive in the South because of Republican control?
Traffic jams in GA wiil continue thanks to GA Sonny Perdue not securing funds for creation and expanding public transportaion . Business will not move somewhere the traffic is horrendous.That has happened on more than one occasion.They just keep building wider roads to go further away from the city.

Instead of a comprehensive plan on water conservation when we had a drought.Lets pray for rain!!

Lets waste time making a law making English the official language

Or how about making prayer manditory in schools?
Or lets pass more gun laws allowing them to be carried in more public places..

Oh yeh,the South has some progressive things ,but the Republicans are rarely behind it.

 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,875 posts, read 6,632,343 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Northeast is still very segreageted racially too, and part of the reason is the emphasis on "multiculturalism" on the school/politic level rather than just letting it happen! I don't think about race or ethnicity but I just end up with friends of all colors, see?

In the DC area there are still specific "middle class black" areas which is strange since if a black person is able to move out of the city, why the need for a spcific "black middle class" or "black elite" area rather than just moving out to a good ol suburb? One town in Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts is known as a vacation spot for the "black elite", if a black person can afford Martha's Vineyard why not go to any beach there, why congregate on a specific black area? New York City is also very segregated though the younger generations are doing better.

As a person of Asian descent i've found the south and Texas more integrated than either the Northeast or California. I live in Maryland now and its not bad, I see more mixing/integration among the working class/blue collar folks than the upper echelons of Baltimore society. Also east Coast Jewish also tend to form exclusive cliques here, especially the ones originally from New York. The South is also attracting more people because its conservative policies create a business friendly environment that promotes growth and a good place for companies to relocate to. At the same time jobs are constantly being lost in the Northeast, and the Midwest as well, don't know about California. The South is much more affordable, and it does have better family values. See in the end black people are just like anyone else they move for the same reasons! I personally have not experienced much raciam anywhere except two incidents, one of them involving a black woman who didn't like my McCain sticker....I think its good that we've moved on and we should learn from the past but not live in it. Democrats like to promote ethnic divisions, people like Wright, Gates, ACORN, and radical pro-illegal groups buy into it when we are all really just Americans. Nobody wants to bring back slavery or Jim Crow anymore. I've seen stereotypical "rednecks" in small southern towns who have Confederate flags and are best friends with or even married to blacks and Hispanics.

Of course there are racial issues in the south, like there are everywhere, but what the liberal New York media portrays and especially what Hollywood portrays is exaggerated or totally false. Like that movie A Time to Kill is ESPECIALLY offensive and inaccurate, the book took place in 1970 and they changed the setting to today and didn't change anything else...well....
Gates?Are you talking about Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates?If so please elaborate because i am not getting how he is used in the same sentence as Jerimaih Wright.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,875 posts, read 6,632,343 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Who cares about your views, we are happy down south and our politicians are handing out benefits like the "Black Farmers" checks!! Wake up, what do you think is going on down south, it's called guilt from slavery,wake up or i might just lost you !!
You should read why those Farmers are getting those "checks".It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with slavery or guilt.Those farmers were denied based on race well after Jim Crow while there white counterparts got loans with the same prerequisites.
African immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Black Farmers Still Looking For Justice
 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Soon to be Southlake, TX
648 posts, read 812,723 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
First off I would like to commend you for executing the American dream .It is good to know that in this country hard work will take you as far as you need to go.I do sincerely believe that.More people who are down and out need stories of inspiration to help themselves out of poor situations.

That said I have some disagreements with somethings you say.I am curious to know how old you are?I asked because of these reaseons.

1)if you were born within the last 30-40 years(the sixties) it is much different than prior to those years.Why?
Well the greatest expansion of our country happened from the 1930's and slowed in the 1970's.You could do anything to make money and someone was always willing to give you a hand.Today its just not like that.Everybody is out on their own.ot an excuse just the truth.People dontv help each other out like they used to.
I am in my 20s, I grew up in Moscow and in Brooklyn. I agree that many people in the Northeast especially, do not help each other, but the population is so large it is hard to be helping everybody, it is a much faster way of life and I think people get a negative vibe from that and assume it is just people being rude. But I have never met someone who when you ask him or her for help, they refuse. People will help if you ask for it. I do not like to ask for help when working, but if I am fixing my car (I bought a junky 1969 Camaro and am fixing it in my garage) and I see my neighbor out and I need help with something for a few minutes, even being a Manhattan white collar guy like him he will help me and we have a conversation.

Quote:
2)the breakdown of the Family.DRUGS<DRUGS<DRUGS!!These kileed the cities.Even when people were poor they had hope and each other to pull through.A mother of 15 with 3 children by different fathers is more than likely gonna raise those children while she works.So yes she could do it.Its her own fault.So why not make her pay for it?Not my kids.Truth is that we would rather wait for those 3 kids that have had little upbringing and put them in jail and pay for room and board but not pay for daycare or extended schooling!!Regardless of why these kids are growing up without being taught right from wrong,The answer is not cut off her food stamps!!Survival of the fittest means unfortunately does not necessarily mean making the most money and having a family.
I do not believe in cutting off food stamps, but a friend of mine is a grocery store owner and he has said that people use food stamps for mostly a cart full of junk food. I think the government should be stricter on this issue, allowing items such as bread, fruit, vegetables, and meat... not Twinkies. I also think Republicans value family, friends, and tradition more than liberals, which is very important to me.

Quote:
I also I do not agree that because you identify with Republican ideals that you must somehow be racist.It has not always been that way for the party of Lincoln.The Republicans got this reputation due to the likes of David Duke,Rush Limbaugh,Pat Roberts,Ralph Reed,Jesse Helms,Clarence Thomas,Mark Furhman,Ann Colture,Sean Hannity,(The rest of FOX NEWS),Dick Cheney,The Heritage Foundation,etc......
I do not believe Fox news is racist, I think liberals make a lot of that stuff up, nitpicking at every statement said. I have seen Fox News complain about Bush when they believe he was wrong, I have seen them argue with each other too, they are not as strict to have sex with George Bush as liberals are with Barack Obama.

Quote:
I don't consider myself a liberal ore conservative.In doing so regulates you to a small way of thinking.However I got say that it is "liberal" ideas that in the past have allowed for thing such as:
Womens Suffrage
Allow for blacks to vote,Equal rights
Family leave bill
Social Security,Medicaid,etc
All Republicans I know support those things. That is outdated to say Republicans are against it. It is 2010, not the 50s.

Quote:
So you want to talk about progressive in the South because of Republican control?
Traffic jams in GA wiil continue thanks to GA Sonny Perdue not securing funds for creation and expanding public transportaion . Business will not move somewhere the traffic is horrendous.That has happened on more than one occasion.They just keep building wider roads to go further away from the city.
Look at Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas... liberal and traffic can be horrible in all of those cities, all with horrible public transportation. If Atlanta becomes dense, same with Houston and Dallas, they will have subways expand for sure.

Quote:
Lets waste time making a law making English the official language
Barack Obama has no problem wasting time showing up on every television show you can think of, golfing 500 times a month, taking vacations to Hawaii using your tax money, even golfing when he should have been at the Polish President's funeral, though the volcanic ash cancelled his trip... he could have gone to the Polish embassy and paid his respects, but he went golfing. At least Joe Biden had the class to go to the embassy, I respect that, although I truly think he does not care that much other than to do patchwork for Obama's screw up. I feel like Republicans are the only ones who can truly show respect, believing so strong in military service and veterans benefits.
Obama skips Polish funeral, heads to golf course - Washington Times

Quote:
Or how about making prayer manditory in schools?
Or lets pass more gun laws allowing them to be carried in more public places..
I am a devoted Christian, and I do not believe it should be mandatory. I think they should be allowed to pray for whatever they believe. But I strongly believe in the right to bear arms. People need to realize that you can get rid of legal guns from 99% of the time law abiding citizens, but you can not get rid of illegal guns from 99% of the time criminals. And if you take legal guns away, and the only people left are people with illegal guns, how does that make crime ridden neighborhoods safer?

Quote:
Oh yeh,the South has some progressive things ,but the Republicans are rarely behind it.
I disagree, I think the south is so progressive because the Republicans believe that low taxes attracts business and helps the economy prosper, I say this as a business owner myself, New York State taxes almost killed our business.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 04-24-2010 at 06:54 PM..
 
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Barack Obama has no problem wasting time showing up on every television show you can think of, golfing 500 times a month, taking vacations to Hawaii using your tax money, even golfing when he should have been at the Polish President's funeral, though the volcanic ash cancelled his trip... he could have gone to the Polish embassy and paid his respects, but he went golfing. At least Joe Biden had the class to go to the embassy, I respect that, although I truly think he does not care that much other than to do patchwork for Obama's screw up. I feel like Republicans are the only ones who can truly show respect, believing so strong in military service and veterans benefits.
Obama skips Polish funeral, heads to golf course - Washington Times
This is why a lot of people can be turned off from Republicans specifically (as they are the party out of power right now), or politics in general. Afonega1 talked about the perceived absurdity of pursuing a law to make English the official language of the land. Instead of maybe giving your views on the subject itself or a related issue like immigration reform, you talk about Obama's golfing outings and not going to the Polish president's funeral due to circumstances beyond his control. I mean, come on, at least engage the subject at hand instead of blatantly digressing.

Quote:
I disagree, I think the south is so progressive because the Republicans believe that low taxes attracts business and helps the economy prosper, I say this as a business owner myself, New York State taxes almost killed our business.
The South is progressive right now for the same reason that the BRIC nations are progressive: they are rapidly developing and experiencing stronger economic growth because their economies aren't as developed and mature as first world/developed nations. And it's obvious that political orientation isn't a direct cause for that. In many cases here in the South, the taxes are artificially low for businesses because many Southern states don't mind whoring themselves out to the highest corporate bidder. In some (not all) cases they have to import talent because the local labor pool lacks the necessary skills, and then when the incentives dry up, they leave for greener pastures. Corporate welfare/socialism is a major issue in the South. We hate welfare/socialism for private citizens, but love it for multi-billion dollar corporations.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Soon to be Southlake, TX
648 posts, read 812,723 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is why a lot of people can be turned off from Republicans specifically (as they are the party out of power right now), or politics in general. Afonega1 talked about the perceived absurdity of pursuing a law to make English the official language of the land. Instead of maybe giving your views on the subject itself or a related issue like immigration reform, you talk about Obama's golfing outings and not going to the Polish president's funeral due to circumstances beyond his control. I mean, come on, at least engage the subject at hand instead of blatantly digressing.
Liberals do the same thing. Everybody goes off on their own little tangents, how is this strictly a Republican thing? Sounds like you are just trying to find an easy way out to discredit what I said. What I meant was, while people complain that it is wasting time to make English an official language, Obama has wasted 10 times that time golfing, going on vacation, and showing up on television shows like he is a movie star.

Quote:
The South is progressive right now for the same reason that the BRIC nations are progressive: they are rapidly developing and experiencing stronger economic growth because their economies aren't as developed and mature as first world/developed nations. And it's obvious that political orientation isn't a direct cause for that. In many cases here in the South, the taxes are artificially low for businesses because many Southern states don't mind whoring themselves out to the highest corporate bidder. In some (not all) cases they have to import talent because the local labor pool lacks the necessary skills, and then when the incentives dry up, they leave for greener pastures. Corporate welfare/socialism is a major issue in the South. We hate welfare/socialism for private citizens, but love it for multi-billion dollar corporations.
The south is progressive because the taxes are low. This is not the BRIC, this is America. Taxes are the major factor in owning a business in America. My business may either close its Long Island location or expand to some place down south, for lower taxes and more money. In Russia, people do not own businesses, the mob owns the people who own the businesses, and the mob will kill them if they do not submit. China is successful because of poor labor laws, cheap labor. India has poor labor laws, it is easy to find cheap workers there.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Liberals do the same thing. Everybody goes off on their own little tangents, how is this strictly a Republican thing?
Hmmmm...."Democrats do it, so I should do it too?" I thought your whole point here was to show how the Republican way is better? Furthermore, I specifically said Republicans because 1) I'm conversing with you, a Republican and 2) the GOP is the party out of power now.

Quote:
Sounds like you are just trying to find an easy way out to discredit what I said. What I meant was, while people complain that it is wasting time to make English an official language, Obama has wasted 10 times that time golfing, going on vacation, and showing up on television shows like he is a movie star.
There's nothing to "discredit." You're digressing and not dealing with the original point that was made. You could have easily repeated a Republican talking point on the matter of English being made the official language of the country (some of which actually have merit), but you drifted off into a smoke screen argument instead of dealing with the issue at hand, which is much more significant than something that you only perceive to be a problem (and if you're interested in actual facts for such an insignificant issue, see here). This is what disillusions non-idealogue independents such as myself that refuse to align with either party because they both have serious faults.

Quote:
The south is progressive because the taxes are low. This is not the BRIC, this is America. Taxes are the major factor in owning a business in America. My business may either close its Long Island location or expand to some place down south, for lower taxes and more money. In Russia, people do not own businesses, the mob owns the people who own the businesses, and the mob will kill them if they do not submit. China is successful because of poor labor laws, cheap labor. India has poor labor laws, it is easy to find cheap workers there.
It seems that you missed my point. I was not comparing the BRIC nations with America, I was comparing them with the South. Just as the BRIC nations are highly developing nations, the South is a highly developing region of America because it developed later than the North. Countries/regions that are economically mature and established do not have the same advantages because they are more or less fully built-out. And just as you pointed out with the BRIC nations, the South also has cheaper labor. It also has less stringent labor laws (which can be perceived as a positive in some ways compared to unionization). And again, that is the major reason why the South is where it is in terms of economic development and policy. That will change as population densities increase and the region becomes much more economically developed. We can't keep whoring ourselves to the highest corporate bidder forever while things like education, infrastructure, etc. continues to take a back seat.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Soon to be Southlake, TX
648 posts, read 812,723 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There's nothing to "discredit." You're digressing and not dealing with the original point that was made. You could have easily repeated a Republican talking point on the matter of English being made the official language of the country (some of which actually have merit), but you drifted off into a smoke screen argument instead of dealing with the issue at hand, which is much more significant than something that you only perceive to be a problem (and if you're interested in actual facts for such an insignificant issue, see here). This is what disillusions non-idealogue independents such as myself that refuse to align with either party because they both have serious faults.
I know the Republican party has faults, everything does. You are not saying anything new. I even said myself that Fox will always point out negatives done by Bush and they will argue with each other. They have faults, at least the Republicans will admit a fault, I even disagree with some Republican ideas, and many Republicans disagree with each other. But liberals, they truly believe they are saviors.

Quote:
It seems that you missed my point. I was not comparing the BRIC nations with America, I was comparing them with the South. Just as the BRIC nations are highly developing nations, the South is a highly developing region of America because it developed later than the North. Countries/regions that are economically mature and established do not have the same advantages because they are more or less fully built-out. And just as you pointed out with the BRIC nations, the South also has cheaper labor. It also has less stringent labor laws (which can be perceived as a positive in some ways compared to unionization). And again, that is the major reason why the South is where it is in terms of economic development and policy. That will change as population densities increase and the region becomes much more economically developed. We can't keep whoring ourselves to the highest corporate bidder forever while things like education, infrastructure, etc. continues to take a back seat.
The south has less strict laws because they are Republican. I believe in less stringent business regulations because more government involvement will hinder the growth and success of the business. I think as long as the south keeps its taxes low, they will remain a hot spot.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I know the Republican party has faults, everything does. You are not saying anything new. I even said myself that Fox will always point out negatives done by Bush and they will argue with each other. They have faults, at least the Republicans will admit a fault, I even disagree with some Republican ideas, and many Republicans disagree with each other. But liberals, they truly believe they are saviors.
As do conservatives; don't they want to "save" the country from Obama right now? And Democrats argue and disagree with each other all the time.

Quote:
The south has less strict laws because they are Republican.
That's a correlation, not a causation. Even under Democratic leadership, the same economic development policy is in place in Southern states; my own state of NC is a good example of that. Most of the time, it's not about low taxes, but a boatload of tax incentives, aka corporate welfare. I think this chart is really good. We need some hard stats here, not just conjecture. Here's a relevant excerpt from this article:

Quote:
He said when a large industrial concern—such as a ThyssenKrupp in Alabama or Kia Motors in Georgia—is exempt from corporate income or property taxes for a couple of decades, someone else, or other businesses, must make up the difference. Cobb, the historian and author, is also skeptical that generous public subsidies for industry ultimately pay off. In addition to forgoing local and state tax revenue, these incentive packages also risk turning communities into one-industry towns because job training programs are generally geared toward a single company or industry, Cobb noted. Also, he said, for all the recent success in luring manufacturers, many Southeastern states remain near the bottom of many quality-of-life measures such as infant mortality and educational attainment.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 04-24-2010 at 09:05 PM..
 
Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
 
2,086 posts, read 1,222,884 times
Reputation: 862
Russian, I am liking everything you are saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top