U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

278 posts, read 294,710 times

Advertisements

"What the hell are you talking about? Unlike the East and West Coasts, almost every major city in the Midwest has a very significant black population. Illinois has the second highest black population north of the Mason-Dixon line, second only to Maryland.
"

Yet even the cities/states in the Midwest and most of the Northeast pale in comparison to the Deep South and most Southern states. I always find it laughable when this board constantly bashes and berates the South on these boards for being racist. Jefferson County in Alabama ALONE has more black residents than the entire states of Minnesota and Iowa COMBINED. That is only ONE county and yet people from these and other northern states lecture Southerners on racial harmony and the dynamic of living in a heavily integrated society and call us racist for struggling a bit more with it for obvious reasons. I'm not knocking these states and I only point them out to reiterate my point, but what on earth could anyone from Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan (outside of urban Detroit), New York (outside of the greater NYC area), Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, etc, etc. possibly understand the dynamics of living in an area where one out of every 3 or 4 people are black vs one out of every 10 to 20 which is the case across most of the Midwest, Northwest, and Northeast (outside of the immediate urban cores of the major cities). I submit that in defense of black people living in the South as well because they face peer pressures in the South from fellow blacks in regards to relating with white people in the South. In fact, I'd love to hear black Southerners opinions on this and do you get offended when outsiders crack on the South regarding this topic (i.e. the South being more racist than other parts of the country)?

I bring this topic up because I was listening to a national sports show based in the South. They had a guest on the show (white guy from Oregon) who was writing a book entitled "Better Off Without Them" (the "Them" being the South). The writer went on and on about racism in the South while several callers into the show that were familiar with the show called in blasting him. Callers asked for examples of this racism and he couldn't come up with any. The writer was going to have a chapter on SEC football and hadn't even been to an SEC game before. The whole time I'm thinking what on earth does a guy from Oregon know about living in a racially integrated society? Oregon's AA population is 1.6% for crying out loud!! To put that into perspective that means that there is only ONE black resident for every 65 white residents in Oregon. Again I ask, how can someone like that begin to understand race relations (good and bad) in the Deep South??

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,977,074 times
Who are you talking about? African/Americans who have been in this country for generations? Maybe they may want to move to the South where their families originally settled. If you are talking about Caribbean blacks who haven't been in this country very long, even if they originally came to the South, do you think they would want to go South, or back to their homelands where many still have family members?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,403,793 times
Hi, black male from the south here. I think some of the things that are attracting blacks so much back to the south is that it's more family friendly, and socially, most blacks are actually conservative, even if they vote democratic(not all do but many do). Also, the high cost of living is not only forcing blacks, but other ethnic groups out of Cali as well. You views of the south havent been positive, I can imagine not, b/c to outsiders it's just racism, rednecks, and hilbillies w/ no teeth lol. However, there is no prejudice going on here that is not going on in Southern California or the Northeast.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM

48,260 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
"What the hell are you talking about? Unlike the East and West Coasts, almost every major city in the Midwest has a very significant black population. Illinois has the second highest black population north of the Mason-Dixon line, second only to Maryland.
"

Yet even the cities/states in the Midwest and most of the Northeast pale in comparison to the Deep South and most Southern states. I always find it laughable when this board constantly bashes and berates the South on these boards for being racist. Jefferson County in Alabama ALONE has more black residents than the entire states of Minnesota and Iowa COMBINED. That is only ONE county and yet people from these and other northern states lecture Southerners on racial harmony and the dynamic of living in a heavily integrated society and call us racist for struggling a bit more with it for obvious reasons. I'm not knocking these states and I only point them out to reiterate my point, but what on earth could anyone from Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan (outside of urban Detroit), New York (outside of the greater NYC area), Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, etc, etc. possibly understand the dynamics of living in an area where one out of every 3 or 4 people are black vs one out of every 10 to 20 which is the case across most of the Midwest, Northwest, and Northeast (outside of the immediate urban cores of the major cities). I submit that in defense of black people living in the South as well because they face peer pressures in the South from fellow blacks in regards to relating with white people in the South. In fact, I'd love to hear black Southerners opinions on this and do you get offended when outsiders crack on the South regarding this topic (i.e. the South being more racist than other parts of the country)?

I bring this topic up because I was listening to a national sports show based in the South. They had a guest on the show (white guy from Oregon) who was writing a book entitled "Better Off Without Them" (the "Them" being the South). The writer went on and on about racism in the South while several callers into the show that were familiar with the show called in blasting him. Callers asked for examples of this racism and he couldn't come up with any. The writer was going to have a chapter on SEC football and hadn't even been to an SEC game before. The whole time I'm thinking what on earth does a guy from Oregon know about living in a racially integrated society? Oregon's AA population is 1.6% for crying out loud!! To put that into perspective that means that there is only ONE black resident for every 65 white residents in Oregon. Again I ask, how can someone like that begin to understand race relations (good and bad) in the Deep South??
My opinion on the whole thing(this post) is this.

You mentioned that the dynamic down here is different. I say that race relations in this nation in general have not been good. I tend to have issues with the South because of history. Slavery, the Civil War, Jim Crow are all part of it. One might say race relations are different in the South for obvious reasons. My opinion is that in the South, there have been so many things gone wrong. I personally feel like the dynamic in the South has been one of control. When I say control, I mean I feel like race relations in the South have been based on who controls who, and not just on a systematic level. I am also speaking about a personal level. A peculiar and disturbing paternalistic attitude was part of the deal. African-Americans were basically viewed as "children" at best.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:45 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,659,501 times
IMHO, the south being more family friendly than the north is a myth.

discuss.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,575,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

discuss.
It's not. It's a total myth.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

discuss.
I'd say it's a myth. The people in north just happen to be more blunt and direct; which people tend to see as mean. The nicest people tend to be out the Mountian West/West Coast.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM

499 posts, read 541,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm a young black male living in Southern California. It seems like everyone I've known or grew up with has moved to the old school South. Now my views about the South isn't positive, just anywhere outside the West. It would be cool if all my old friends returned to LA. Be like old times.

What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?
Perhaps because hispanics are committing genocide on Blacks in California?

Or the fact that San Fransisco's Black population is almost 0% zero percent but still claims to be one of the most diverse places in the country?

California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country?

Quality of life in Los Angles is dropping like a rock due to illegal immigration?

California has the highest business taxes and regulations and is very business unfriendly?

The state is about go bankrupt?

Good move, I'd jump off that sinking ship too.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'd say it's a myth. The people in north just happen to be more blunt and direct; which people tend to see as mean. The nicest people tend to be out the Mountian West/West Coast.
It's hard to say, because, like humor, manners can be hard to translate across regional lines. For instance, what Northerners might see as admirable frankness, is often perceived as tacky rudeness in the South. And vice-versa, what we Southerners might regard as genuine friendliness might be perceived by northerners as being too familiar and intrusive. Or, yes, downright fake.

Something is often lost across the regional boundaries, and it also comes down to a value judgement as to positive or negative. Naturally I side with my native region as to plus or minus...but anyway,

Back in my old produce manager days, I never will forget a regular customer from up north.

He was retired military and had been stationed at the local AFB beforehand. He told me that when he first moved to Texas (he was originally from New Jersey, I think) he was actually put off and repulsed by people holding a door open for him. Or making friendly small-talk in checkout lines in grocery stores and such. Things like "how you doing today?" or some such.

Where he came from, he explained, strangers spoke to you for only one of three reasons: 1. Mistaking you for someone else. 2. An immoral proposition, or, 3. The prelude to a mugging or armed robbery!

So yeah, he was very suspicous and on guard. Almost hostile in his body language and/or refusal to acknowledge the greetings. Then, later, it began to dawn on him that perhaps he had mis-judged it all. Slowly, over time, he began to return the pointless yet sincere nods and hidys and such with some of his own. Then even initate it.

And like a lot of converts are to a new religion, the guy said he became a True Believer in that Southern hospitality is real. And further, that he would never move back up north.

Of course, I always thought this fellow sounded a little funny when he would say "how y'all doin' today?"...what with the yankee accent and all...but I had better sense than to tell him that.

For one thing, I didn't want him to have a relapse.

For another, his service in the military involved specialization in hand to hand combat and giving advanced instruction in such.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,866,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Perhaps because hispanics are committing genocide on Blacks in California?

Or the fact that San Fransisco's Black population is almost 0% zero percent but still claims to be one of the most diverse places in the country?

California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country?

Quality of life in Los Angles is dropping like a rock due to illegal immigration?

California has the highest business taxes and regulations and is very business unfriendly?

The state is about go bankrupt?

Good move, I'd jump off that sinking ship too.

latinos are not commiting a genocide against blacks california .

when was the last racially motivated homicide by hispanics to blacks anyway?

but yea that stuff only happens in l.a county. blacks and Hispanics are very close in north cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.