U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 7,172,195 times
Reputation: 1675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMHO, the south being more family friendly than the north is a myth.

discuss.
The south has a lower cost of living so if you have a family its alot cheaper down south thus making it family friendly when it comes to your budget.
But other that ....no not really. Its a myth.



mas23

 
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It's hard to say, because, like humor, manners can be hard to translate across regional lines. For instance, what Northerners might see as admirable frankness, is often perceived as tacky rudeness in the South. And vice-versa, what we Southerners might regard as genuine friendliness might be perceived by northerners as being too familiar and intrusive. Or, yes, downright fake.

Something is often lost across the regional boundaries, and it also comes down to a value judgement as to positive or negative. Naturally I side with my native region as to plus or minus...but anyway,

Back in my old produce manager days, I never will forget a regular customer from up north.

He was retired military and had been stationed at the local AFB beforehand. He told me that when he first moved to Texas (he was originally from New Jersey, I think) he was actually put off and repulsed by people holding a door open for him. Or making friendly small-talk in checkout lines in grocery stores and such. Things like "how you doing today?" or some such.

Where he came from, he explained, strangers spoke to you for only one of three reasons: 1. Mistaking you for someone else. 2. An immoral proposition, or, 3. The prelude to a mugging or armed robbery!

So yeah, he was very suspicous and on guard. Almost hostile in his body language and/or refusal to acknowledge the greetings. Then, later, it began to dawn on him that perhaps he had mis-judged it all. Slowly, over time, he began to return the pointless yet sincere nods and hidys and such with some of his own. Then even initate it.

And like a lot of converts are to a new religion, the guy said he became a True Believer in that Southern hospitality is real. And further, that he would never move back up north.

Of course, I always thought this fellow sounded a little funny when he would say "how y'all doin' today?"...what with the yankee accent and all...but I had better sense than to tell him that.

For one thing, I didn't want him to have a relapse.

For another, his service in the military involved specialization in hand to hand combat and giving advanced instruction in such.
This sums up more experiences than I can count, and this is coming from a non-native Southerner who lives here by choice.
 
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,957,625 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMHO, the south being more family friendly than the north is a myth.

discuss.
that depends on what you mean by that. i found that in the west nuclear families are much more common, with associates being family friends. in the south sunday night dinners in which cousins, aunts, uncles, ect all showed up were quite common. it also seems like big family reunions are more common in the south, at least compared to the west coast, and northeast.

also keep in mind that im talking about white families. i found that hispanics in the west and northeast were very family oriented with frequent family functions and this didnt vary much by region. also, many blacks out of the south seem to do this as well, but less so, but obviously black culture in the US is rooted in the south.

this might have to do with the fact that many southerners (white and black) have more generations in their areas on average than other parts of the country, and thus they have more family. also, it could be a christianity thing.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 09-11-2010 at 08:02 PM..
 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It's hard to say, because, like humor, manners can be hard to translate across regional lines. For instance, what Northerners might see as admirable frankness, is often perceived as tacky rudeness in the South. And vice-versa, what we Southerners might regard as genuine friendliness might be perceived by northerners as being too familiar and intrusive. Or, yes, downright fake.

Something is often lost across the regional boundaries, and it also comes down to a value judgement as to positive or negative. Naturally I side with my native region as to plus or minus...but anyway,

Back in my old produce manager days, I never will forget a regular customer from up north.

He was retired military and had been stationed at the local AFB beforehand. He told me that when he first moved to Texas (he was originally from New Jersey, I think) he was actually put off and repulsed by people holding a door open for him. Or making friendly small-talk in checkout lines in grocery stores and such. Things like "how you doing today?" or some such.

Where he came from, he explained, strangers spoke to you for only one of three reasons: 1. Mistaking you for someone else. 2. An immoral proposition, or, 3. The prelude to a mugging or armed robbery!

So yeah, he was very suspicous and on guard. Almost hostile in his body language and/or refusal to acknowledge the greetings. Then, later, it began to dawn on him that perhaps he had mis-judged it all. Slowly, over time, he began to return the pointless yet sincere nods and hidys and such with some of his own. Then even initate it.

And like a lot of converts are to a new religion, the guy said he became a True Believer in that Southern hospitality is real. And further, that he would never move back up north.

Of course, I always thought this fellow sounded a little funny when he would say "how y'all doin' today?"...what with the yankee accent and all...but I had better sense than to tell him that.

For one thing, I didn't want him to have a relapse.

For another, his service in the military involved specialization in hand to hand combat and giving advanced instruction in such.
Alot of it is culture, and what part of the South you are in. My own experiences with Atlanta's suburbs would be different than if I were to go further north to Ellijay, it will be markedly different. Where I live, people still hold doors open for others, northerner or southerner. There is some small-talk depending on the situation. Thing is, things move faster.

How does this relate to African-Americans in the South? Well, The suburb I live, it is basically a suburb with a large university, and has many transplants in the area. Sometimes I might go shopping and run into African-Americans from other states, mainly New York, Illinois, California and other states. My major has many geographical elements to it. Sometimes I might have small talk with them because I know about the places they are coming from and might have a chat about it.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
 
243 posts, read 243,243 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
I'd say the best place for black people is the Northeast. Not the South. This is still the south, the only reason its getting more progressive down here is because more Northeners are moving here.
And a big reason they are moving here is because of the "progression" up north.
 
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
atlanta is a good example of why people would be attracted to the south.
New orleans and memphis should take classes from atlanta leadership.
Atlanta has been known to have corruption, though not as much as New Orleans. As a state, Georgia is ranked as being more corrupted than Louisiana, but New Orleans as a city is probably more corrupt than Atlanta. Tennessee is ranked as the most corrupt state in the nation.
 
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
And a big reason they are moving here is because of the "progression" up north.
What "progression" are you talking about? Sometimes that word can be used in a sarcastic way.
 
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Southeastern Tennessee
711 posts, read 978,236 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?
The lower cost of living and job opportunities has to be the only reason.
 
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
The lower cost of living and job opportunities has to be the only reason.
One also must look at the personal benefits of moving to a place before deciding. Just because Atlanta is good for some Black people doesn't mean it will be good for all Black people. None of us are a monolith. History is one of a few things that African-Americans share. With that said, we are all different individuals with different needs. There are Black people who fit right in going to Atlanta and find their niche. I have a friend that found his niche in New York City. The South might be a big magnet for African-Americans at the present time. This doesn't mean everyone will come. Sometimes people go wherever that can find their niche.
 
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Southeastern Tennessee
711 posts, read 978,236 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
One also must look at the personal benefits of moving to a place before deciding. Just because Atlanta is good for some Black people doesn't mean it will be good for all Black people. None of us are a monolith. History is one of a few things that African-Americans share. With that said, we are all different individuals with different needs. There are Black people who fit right in going to Atlanta and find their niche. I have a friend that found his niche in New York City. The South might be a big magnet for African-Americans at the present time. This doesn't mean everyone will come. Sometimes people go wherever that can find their niche.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top