U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,990,651 times
Reputation: 1115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
I'm gong to halfway agree with my brothers keeper on this.
Any black person who calls the south their "home" is twisted.
But at the same time thats all a lot of people know.
Most black people down south don't know where they came from, since there people have been there since slavery and beyond. The southern region of the USA should never be considered the "mecca" or the "motherland" of black people. Even after jim crow that didn't stop my people from all the racist attitudes and way of life down there. Poor black areas in the south look exactly like slave plantation. and now these southern rappers are making up these dumb songs and dances trying to entertain massa........
I can agree with you on this one. I want to take it one step further and say that applies to the whole US (excluding the West, maybe). I'm not even an "angry Black man" or anti US but history has shown me that to be true. We're just here to be ish on.

Sometime last year, I went to a friend's house for a cookout and I thought it was going to be lame but I'm glad that I went. I was a bunch of guys from Harlem, Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Philly, NC, ATL, etc. The Harlem guys were in their 70s and they told me how it was back then: actually conversed with Malcolm X, the differences between N/S, etc. What stuck with me the most was that all of these dudes were veterans. They told me how they drunk out of the same cups, ate out the same plates, etc (on the battle field) but as soon as they hit US soil, it was back to 2nd class citizenship. These dudes told me a lot that weren't in the books.

On the music, I really don't like what some dudes down here are pushing message wise. Indentured Servant made a great point about Blacks coming in when a trend ends. I was like, "Obama's going to be doing janitorial work now and get trashed for it" and it'll stick with us.

 
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,939 posts, read 33,780,569 times
Reputation: 13922
Some posts above were deleted. Few things are more personal than one's race, but that is not an excuse for replying to posts about your race with personal insults. Disagreeing is fine. Getting personal is not.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM
 
50,510 posts, read 47,025,191 times
Reputation: 15934
Okay, I would like to chime in about the North vs. the South. One thing that has intrigued me about some northern cities, particularly Milwaukee, St. Paul, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc. is alot of the old architecture that is still around. The large southern cities, especially Atlanta, seem to have very little of it in comparison. Not saying it doesn't exist. I am just saying I don't see as much of it.

One thing I am noticing through my own relatives is this: Most of my relatives rarely leave the places they were born in or venture far from them. My father, born and raised in Milwaukee, left in the 1980's and moved to the South, then out West, then back to the South for good in the 1990's. From what I hear, he misses home. To him, the North is home. Many of my relatives who were born in the North stayed in the North, close to their families. Alot of my southern-born relatives stayed close to their families. My mother and a few of her sisters were the exception. I have family in Minnesota for this reason.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,523,959 times
Reputation: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
I'm gong to halfway agree with my brothers keeper on this.
Any black person who calls the south their "home" is twisted.
But at the same time thats all a lot of people know.
Most black people down south don't know where they came from, since there people have been there since slavery and beyond. The southern region of the USA should never be considered the "mecca" or the "motherland" of black people. Even after jim crow that didn't stop my people from all the racist attitudes and way of life down there. Poor black areas in the south look exactly like slave plantation. and now these southern rappers are making up these dumb songs and dances trying to entertain massa........
OMG!You are in Delaware! A freaking slave state with that had Jim Crow laws!Ever hear of Rising Sun Delaware?Remember the little gravesite of 400 slaves that they were gona put a parking lot on top of?Im not sure what you guys are thinking like The North was devoid of major racism to black and there was no major riots.We might as well leave the whole damn country.ANd then where to?.Africa where the effects of Colonialism are so vivid today!

I stated way back that I started tracing my ancestry and found out a few thing that surprised me more than I thought it would.The fact that I got so far back to a point I realized that one of my relative was white and another was Indian.Of course I knew it was a real likely hood but confronted with nfo like that is very conflicting.

It was suppose to be a tribute,A journey in time.I wanted to find out more about how I came to be and from what type of people.When you are confronted directly with he fact that one of your ancestors was a brutal,nasty filthy rapist and you have a NAME to go with that.It's conflicting.In one breath Im proud of my Grandmother and Grandfather who in the 1950's were hated in Perry,Georgia so much so because they were self made and they rarely kept quiet about it around whites.My Grandfather was a war vet and started his own business later.My aunts talk of how their little brother ,(My father)now a retired Dean from Clark Atlanta was mashed in the head at a store,bloodied because he was in line frst before a white woman at 12 years old.

They talk about how they came and tried to take the land and intimidate them.My grandmother was the one with the shot-gun holding down the fort when he was called away in Korea.When He came back they were living in Colorado one time.He said those people were so hateful.it really was no difference except they were not as "organized"with their hate.

They finally got my Grandfather while I was at the daycare my Grandmother owned and ran to give poor black families for their kids to go while they worked.She used the money from their other businesses to make up the losses where that daycare center never made a profit.She even had several employees including a cook.Most of that came from their pocket.
This was in 1973.My father was in Vietnam.(Forced to go illegally).
They (mob of white people) ran my grandmothers very vocal brothers out of town and one was lynched but got away.
My Grandfather was burned alive in the house we lived in while I was with my grand at daycare.3men all white got away with murder for 10 years after.To this day I remember the smell of smoke and my charred and melted toys.I never really knew my grandfather.

My father came back from the war determined to succeed and although he hated white people through a good portion of my life (so I was told),NOT ONCE did he pass that hatred onto me.He never said negative stuff in front of me.It was not till he was well into his forties that he outwardly changed as he moved into the white corporate world.He was lucky to have some people that were white look out for him when black people around him were fighting for the crumbs.Before he had briefly always worked at HBCU's for a stint(later he went back).

My dad always told me dont let NOBODY chase you away.This is yours.Too many people fought and died to make it so.That land has my families blood on it.I be DAMNED if I let someone tell me I cant have it.The South is living testimony of struggle and greatness in site of all the odds.

For you guys to regulate it to just stupid southern rap and ignorant rappers are just pawns in a divide in conquer scheme where yall think all things South are inferior.
Forgetting as I stated before that the black South:
-Gave us our music and we have given it to the world.Like Rock,Jazz,Blues,and even Country.
-Our confidence or swag to make it through anything they can throw at us.
-Gave us our first and oldest houses of worship
-Our first legislatures
-Our first black millionaires and Billionaires
-Our largest and oldest black business.
etc.etc
Bottom line is leaving and givin up by heading North was just s importnt as those who stayed.Now we are a force everywhere.

I know I jumped all over in this post but I have had little sleep and Im really frustrated at the ignorance and judgmental behavior.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Southeastern Tennessee
711 posts, read 996,228 times
Reputation: 377
I call the south my home as well, I was born and raised down here.

Quote:
Any black person who calls the south their "home" is twisted.
So what you want us to do? leave the south?

Quote:
Most black people down south don't know where they came from, since there people have been there since slavery and beyond. The southern region of the USA should never be considered the "mecca" or the "motherland" of black people. Even after jim crow that didn't stop my people from all the racist attitudes and way of life down there.
I know where I came from. But during slavery days, folks in the northern and western part of the U.S were just as racist as folks in the south. Nowadays, neighborhoods in the north are still segregated except for the ghettos. Neighborhoods I've seen in the south have been fully diverse.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
492 posts, read 883,877 times
Reputation: 398
This thread is funny. But I never understood how blacks from northern cities could bash the south or their southern brethren.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
 
2,399 posts, read 3,641,553 times
Reputation: 1272
I find it odd that so many of you allow stereotypical views about a region to affect your mindset.

First of all, the average Southerner's mindset about blacks is not much different from the average Northerner's mindset, by and large. Most people of all races, honestly speaking, do not wish to see their hometowns taken over by blacks. It has been shown in all regions, that when blacks move to an area in high numbers, the whites and other racial groups flee.

If Northerners are so "enlightened" with regard to race, then why do we still see the same patterns occur?

You want the FACTS?

1) Northerners often pride themselves on "diversity", when they themselves, according to statistics, live a more homogeneous life.

2) It is because of these homogeneous environments that northerners like to give lip service to "diversity" and "inclusion". You see, it makes them feel good and enlightened. It makes them feel superior to favor "inclusion", when they themselves know that their hometowns will never be at risk of racial transition. No threat = Cognitive Dissonance. Cognitive Dissonance allows for the politically correct mantras of the time to be swallowed hook, line, and sinker. You see, not only do they feel good, enlightened, and superior, they also feel trendy and with the times.

3) Northerners who have had to live a "diverse" lifestyle are generally every bit as anti-diversity and anti-political correctness as the typical southerner who has to live in a diverse area. In fact, some tend to be far worse, as there's no stereotype hanging over their head about expressing their views, such as there is with the so-called "racist southerner". Most southerners, holding their views or not, are apt to stay silent.

4) Blacks and other non-whites are every bit as racist as the typical white person, and usually more so. Their racism is condoned by a politically correct society, so much that most people don't blink an eye to it. You see, for them to favor their own at the expense of others isn't racism, it's "cultural enrichment".

5) So many non-southerners who are anti-south base their views on nothing more than a media that likes to portray southerners as dumb, uneducated, and sometimes racist. They see the rural hillbilly or small town hick depiction and think that it is the norm, when it is the exception, by and large. They then use this stereotype with the other stereotypes about the region, ie: that it is a racist backwater, from history twisted by the left wing Hollywood media, to say things that are blatantly ridiculous. They haven't an original, non-biased thought in their head. Those who have visited the region know the true score about it, but those who choose to not visit or see it for the whole region it is, will not see it. They choose to remain ignorant.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
492 posts, read 883,877 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
4) Blacks and other non-whites are every bit as racist as the typical white person, and usually more so. Their racism is condoned by a politically correct society, so much that most people don't blink an eye to it. You see, for them to favor their own at the expense of others isn't racism, it's "cultural enrichment".
I think blacks and other non-whites can be just as prejudice, but not racist. I mostly equate racism with thinking one's race is above or superior.
 
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM
 
314 posts, read 655,035 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Oh and bout the IMF.Once again you made assumptions about who I am and what I know.I brought up that point as I will state again since you are obviously mentally challenged:That money was used by somebody in those governments.Regardless of who put who where and when,someone has to choose to do the dirty work.The fact that a black person does it makes it worse.Someone had to pull the trigger.At some point we gotta b smarter,its not always about being stronger.

Yes .I do believe can affect more change working in the confines of the government rather than driving myself numb with anger ,hate,and resentment. cant do anything with that when it consumes as it has you.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal
I know exactly what you are but I'll keep it to myself cause the last time I expressed my opinions on your kind feelings got hurt then mods deleted my post

Thomas Lancaster Dubois...the fact still remains even if some African government officials misused the funds loaned to them by IMF it doesn't change the fact the IMF is a predatory institution used to keep third world countries including most of those in Africa in debt via bloated interest rates or the fact that Western Imperialist entities having being robbing Africa bare of it's riches and resources for centuries...In other word corrupt African leaders are the pawns/fall guys...The real source of Afric'as poverty is whitey/United States and Europe.

So you work for the US government? Your position all makes since now..Blacks whom have worked for the system that oppresses their people have always had an unusual loyalty and affection for the white power structure...Sort of like a lap dog and it's master..
 
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,523,959 times
Reputation: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I know exactly what you are but I'll keep it to myself cause the last time I expressed my opinions on your kind feelings got hurt then mods deleted my post

Thomas Lancaster Dubois...the fact still remains even if some African government officials misused the funds loaned to them by IMF it doesn't change the fact the IMF is a predatory institution used to keep third world countries including most of those in Africa in debt via bloated interest rates or the fact that Western Imperialist entities having being robbing Africa bare of it's riches and resources for centuries...In other word corrupt African leaders are the pawns/fall guys...The real source of Afric'as poverty is whitey/United States and Europe.

So you work for the US government? Your position all makes since now..Blacks whom have worked for the system that oppresses their people have always had an unusual loyalty and affection for the white power structure...Sort of like a lap dog and it's master..
have gave you my answer to everything you brought up.Have you.NO.My feelings did not get hurt but what i would like to know how "Brother Keeper" is keeping his brothers?You are very accusatory but yet you cant answer your own reason you pt others down.3 or 4 pages later its still the same.You have no self esteem or motivation but deter others in th life they live.Yet what ARE YOU doing?
All talk and bravado,typical makings of a hypocrite.If I am all that you say am then there is nothing let to say to you.We disagree.Yet someone so deep and dedicated in the struggle has absolutely NO words of wisdom?

Oh I get it you just another DICtator .You DICtate but never follow.Your plans are for you only.Ok I give up and I submit to YOUR devine knowledge and leadership.Ok so now.So where do we start Mr.Omar Al-bashir? Or can you do that without more insults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top