U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 AM

56,780 posts, read 81,149,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Interracial dating is extremely common here. Another misconception.
I agree that it is more common that people realize in terms of the South and has been occurring "on the low" for decades, actually.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
All that said..No place ion this continent is our ancestral home or a place we should be attached to for that matter.
I actually kind of agree with you, in the sense that people of African descent were doing great things before arrival in the Western Hemisphere and that we have to take a broader view of our histroy as such. Take a look at the ancient Mali, Ghana and Songhai empires for example.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 AM

265 posts, read 262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually kind of agree with you, in the sense that people of African descent were doing great things before arrival in the Western Hemisphere and that we have to take a broader view of our histroy as such. Take a look at the ancient Mali, Ghana and Songhai empires for example.
I'm the one who first mentioned "ancestral homeland," and it seems as if everyone is taking a reactionary stance against the term instead of the substance behind it which I outlined in a previous post. I spoke of the historical, cultural, and biological/genetic distinctions that we have as African Americans which are distinct from Africans. Speaking of the biological/genetic distinction alone, I'm reminded of Prof. Henry Louis Gates TV show where he tested Black celebrities to determine their African ancestry and he himself learned that he's genetically half Irish.

Also, the term isn't meant to ignore any positive contributions of African civilizations. We as humans tend to get overly romantic when speaking of "home" or "homeland" when the reality isn't so rose-colored. Most were disparaging the concept of the South being the American (I'll insert that adjective from now on) ancestral homeland for the vast majority of African Americans based on the atrocities that were committed against our ancestors in the South. That's totally unrelated to the fact of where our cultural and historic roots originate in this country.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I'm the one who first mentioned "ancestral homeland," and it seems as if everyone is taking a reactionary stance against the term instead of the substance behind it which I outlined in a previous post. I spoke of the historical, cultural, and biological/genetic distinctions that we have as African Americans which are distinct from Africans. Speaking of the biological/genetic distinction alone, I'm reminded of Prof. Henry Louis Gates TV show where he tested Black celebrities to determine their African ancestry and he himself learned that he's genetically half Irish.

Also, the term isn't meant to ignore any positive contributions of African civilizations. We as humans tend to get overly romantic when speaking of "home" or "homeland" when the reality isn't so rose-colored. Most were disparaging the concept of the South being the American (I'll insert that adjective from now on) ancestral homeland for the vast majority of African Americans based on the atrocities that were committed against our ancestors in the South. That's totally unrelated to the fact of where our cultural and historic roots originate in this country.
I personally understand all of that. My thing is a general statement that people of African descent should view things outside of the US and this hemisphere as well. My parents are from Mississippi and South Carolina, in which both states are historically the Blackest states in the US and that was due to having major ports of entry for slavery(Vicksburg and Charleston). So, I understand that from an American perspective.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM

265 posts, read 262,053 times
Quote:
I personally understand all of that. My thing is a general statement that people of African descent should view things outside of the US and this hemisphere as well.
I agree, and my terminology doesn't preclude that.

However, I find it interesting that in some (possibly many) cases, African immigrants here in the US don't seem as prone to adopt African American culture and instead opt to adhere to mainstream culture only (which, in some instances, takes some of its cues from African American culture incidentally). That goes to the cultural part of my argument in that our culture is uniquely American; we descendants of African slaves just happen to be the creators and proprietors of it.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I agree, and my terminology doesn't preclude that.

However, I find it interesting that in some (possibly many) cases, African immigrants here in the US don't seem as prone to adopt African American culture and instead opt to adhere to mainstream culture only (which, in some instances, takes some of its cues from African American culture incidentally). That goes to the cultural part of my argument in that our culture is uniquely American; we descendants of African slaves just happen to be the creators and proprietors of it.
No doubt, as if people do some research, around 80% of people of African descent in the US descend from people that came before the Civil War. For Whites, 70% of them descend from people that came after the Civil War. So, in that sense, you are absolutely correct. It's even been shown that 30% of Whites have African ancestry ranging from 2-20% in this country. So, that influence is more common in this country's history than it portrays.

Even in my part of Upstate NY, some of the first permanent residents of the area were Black folks, free and some came enslaved, but bought their freedom. Here's some evidence of that: http://www.oswego.edu/ugrr/bakeman.html (broken link)

http://www.pacny.net/freedom_trail/Bakeman.htm

http://www.auburncayugafreedomtrail..../AuburnMap.pdf

http://www.tourauburnny.com/userfiles/file/lessonplans/hs/HS_Introduction_1108.pdf (broken link) (Go to page 7)

http://books.google.com/books?id=kG8...page&q&f=false

Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,506,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Seriously, you think miscegenation is the measure for racial acceptance?

That's totally destroying your blood line. You don't have to destroy your bloodline to be accepting.
The only way my bloodline would be destroyed is if I had no kids. And seeing how the attraction patterns of many black women are today, that would more likely happen if I decided to live in an area that was more culturally black. Subsequently, interracial relationships are probably my best hope for my continued lineage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
To answer your question as i hope it was issued with sincerity than just baiting,but because people acknowledge and talk about a lot of this stuff in the South its almost a dead issue.Sometime its shocking to me too see how much comfort there is between blacks in white in the rural areas.Morehouse had a white valedictorian.there was no backlash,just support for a fellow brother.Atlanta is no different than D.C. I have so many friends that are Asian and black,white and black,you name it,I got it.

You can think what you want but I gotta say some of you act as if those who chose to move South are accepting less humanity.It so ridiculous at this day in age.And NO the South does not need to PROVE anything.Many of our ancestors who remained in the South went through everything so all of America could be better.You live in the state that was the capitol of the confederacy,why do you excuse it as though it never happened there?Not just that but the rest of the Northeast had to change too.Things were not rosy there either.
-I may be from the "capitol state of the Confederacy," but as for today, Northern Virginia especially has little vestiges of the Old South, and is as "Yankified" as Philly, NY, and Boston.
-Note that I said that the North and Midwest and Northeast aren't that much better when compared to the South of today. In all honesty, my measuring comparision is not between the South and the North, but the South with the Western US, along with Canada and Western Europe. I never said the North, much less DC, was better in the race department; which leads to my third point:
-If Atlanta is no different than DC, than that's pretty scary and sad considering that from my experience, DC is a very racially segregated city and race determines who you can hang out, date, and marry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Interracial dating/marriage is pretty common in North Alabama, specifically Huntsville. I've never noticed anyone bat an eye at it either. We have very good friends, white husband, black wife with a mixed daughter. We've had conversations with them about it. Frankly, she says she gets more grief from her family than anything. His family is supportive. Other than the rare old timer who hasn't moved past the 60s, they've never had any issues. Even those issues are no more than a sideways look from an old fart.
That's nice to hear, but black female/white male couples are nothing new and don't cause that much stir compared to the "opposite pairing." When that "kind of pairing" becomes as common and acceptable, only then will progress be good enough for me to consider the South as a whole.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM

314 posts, read 643,516 times
Quote:
My point exactly

Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM

9,958 posts, read 6,903,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Born and bred...How so did you come to this conclusion of having a better understanding of black American culture than me? Nah..I only hate the self destructive aspects of our culture hardly the whole culture..I'm actually very proud of my culture....As a whole we are very messed up as a people and it's cause of the same history some of us proudly claim as part of thier heritage...Being proud of your Southern slave roots is equivalent of the idiots whom claim to be proud of coming from the most violence plagued ghettos..If more blacks Americans pride in their heritage/origin we wouldn't be so lost as a people...I said Afrocentric blacks tend to be more progressive and stable not necessarily more successful but they are less likely to fall into the self destructive pitfalls that have plagued AA people and are known to try to improve their communities. ..African Americans on average are more wealthy than Africans by default of living in the richest country on Earth not necessarily cause we are more successful than Africans..By your same standards Africans living in America usually outdo American born blacks.
Co-Signed Indentured Servant

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-07-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM

9,958 posts, read 6,903,631 times
In regards to attitudes and relationships, I think we need to be careful not to extrapolate from the diversity of our own relationships and conclude that certain types of attitudes have really diminished. What I have found is that the people who get along together tend to get together. I mean, just because somone of another race has befriended you does not mean that one can extrapolate and say that that race is accepting of your race. People with certain types of attitudes and beliefs don't get together unless its simply part of their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.