U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM

7,875 posts, read 6,641,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No doubt, as if people do some research, around 80% of people of African descent in the US descend from people that came before the Civil War. For Whites, 70% of them descend from people that came after the Civil War. So, in that sense, you are absolutely correct. It's even been shown that 30% of Whites have African ancestry ranging from 2-20% in this country. So, that influence is more common in this country's history than it portrays.

Even in my part of Upstate NY, some of the first permanent residents of the area were Black folks, free and some came enslaved, but bought their freedom. Here's some evidence of that: bakeman (http://www.oswego.edu/ugrr/bakeman.html - broken link)

Benjamin and Rachel Bakeman House

http://www.auburncayugafreedomtrail..../AuburnMap.pdf

http://www.tourauburnny.com/userfiles/file/lessonplans/hs/HS_Introduction_1108.pdf (broken link) (Go to page 7)

North star country: upstate New York ... - Google Books
Which is exactly my point.I am here to stay.As much as I love my Africa roots,Im only African bey heritage,but my heritage is in th U.S.And its not just about slavery in my history.Its about overcoming obstacles when:
Many did not care if we made it or even lived it was never meant for us to be citizens of this country or have ownership.So why does it not make sense to take what is rightfully ours to share as Americans?People like King made America live up to its promise of equality.Its done better since then but there is a lot more to do.Electing a black person as president is not enough.Blacks need to be more educated and involved in the Global network.We cannot stand by being consumed with what is going on in this country.blacks in this country really do need to do more to make our country do right by Africa.The fact is that is where we came unwillingly ripping out the fabric of social order driving the continent in chaos.Our country(and Europe) has undermined several nations.

If there was one country in Africa we should at least do more for is Liberia.We set that country up to fail.They finally have good leadership and are slowly making progress.
One that note.To relate this thread to Africa.Atlanta has the highest concentration of Africans i the U.S.It is the number one destination.
West African country of Senegal moved its tourism office to Atlanta from the Empire State Building in New York after 30 years.
Apparently Africans have an affection for the South too.Thats not all about cheap land in jobs like some people would have you believe as the only reason people move South.Other wise there would be as high a rates amongst other ethnicities and race in the South as Africans and African Americans

What I really hate is people who talk out their neck about all the wrong this country has done.So they don't vote,complain,yet wont leave!If I hate something then there is only a couple of things you can do:
1)Get involved and try to make changes from the inside.
2)LEAVE.Why would you stay anywhere you hate and despise?

I found this regarding our topic:
Quote:
Chicago has been surpassed by Atlanta, Georgia as the city with the second-largest black population in America.

The tri-state Chicago metropolitan area has nearly 10,000,000 residents; the area around Atlanta is roughly 6,000,000. And as recently as 1990, it ranked only seventh nationally in the size of its African American population.

While Atlanta's influx of 446,000 new black residents in the last decade is by far the greatest in the country, many other southern cities also saw their African-American populations rise. Dallas and Houston gained more than 100,000 black citizens each; Miami, Charlotte, Phoenix and Tampa also saw significant upticks.

Nine of the top 10 metro areas for black population gains from 2000 to 2008 are located in the South, including the three "New South" areas of Charlotte, Orlando, and Tampa. These regions are attracting highly-educated African Americans, including those from northern destinations. Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and Dallas rank sixth, ninth, and 25th, respectively, on the number of black adults with a bachelor's degree, whereas Philadelphia and Detroit rank, respectively, 59th and 79th
The State of Metropolitan America - Brookings Institution
Chicago's Black Population Drops To Third In Nation; Atlanta Now Second

Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM

314 posts, read 348,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No doubt, as if people do some research, around 80% of people of African descent in the US descend from people that came before the Civil War. For Whites, 70% of them descend from people that came after the Civil War. So, in that sense, you are absolutely correct. It's even been shown that 30% of Whites have African ancestry ranging from 2-20% in this country. So, that influence is more common in this country's history than it portrays.

Even in my part of Upstate NY, some of the first permanent residents of the area were Black folks, free and some came enslaved, but bought their freedom. Here's some evidence of that: bakeman (http://www.oswego.edu/ugrr/bakeman.html - broken link)

Benjamin and Rachel Bakeman House

http://www.auburncayugafreedomtrail..../AuburnMap.pdf

http://www.tourauburnny.com/userfiles/file/lessonplans/hs/HS_Introduction_1108.pdf (broken link) (Go to page 7)

North star country: upstate New York ... - Google Books
Those test are unreliable cause they were done by Eurocentrics whom's agendas that can and obviously has led them to manipulate the results to show whatever they want.

Similar studies done by not coincidently done by Caucasoid scientist whom are known for their white bias have made similar outrageous claims such as native born and bred blackskinned Africans are 80% Caucasian and less than 5% African as well as claiming Tut was ethnicallly European

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-07-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,249,496 times
The whole term "African American" is an embarrassment to black people. Its extremely ignorant. Black people are wholeheartedly Americans. The term african american is a form of mental slavery

Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 AM

314 posts, read 348,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The whole term "African American" is an embarrassment to black people. Its extremely ignorant. Black people are wholeheartedly Americans. The term african american is a form of mental slavery
Nah trying to identify with your oppressor/former slave master=white Amerikkkans is mental slavery...Claiming your African heritage is a form of rebellion against the mental slavery

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,264 posts, read 19,780,743 times
This thread was closed because it became clear after many insulting posts were deleted that it could not continue as a civil discussion. Not making posts that personally insult others is the main requirement we have for threads here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.