Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Stay away from Houston and Austin, and Texas in general. Those are still Southern cities and still have many of the issues found in other parts of the South. Houston specifically is very conservative and has a large black population. Seattle, Denver, and San Diego would all be good choices. Also look into Boise and Billings, which are up-and-coming Western cities.
Houston is too big to be JUST conservative.

Also, you have to understand that many of the major cities and college towns in the South are more "liberal"/open minded/tolerant than the rural and small town areas of the South.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Stay away from Houston and Austin, and Texas in general. Those are still Southern cities and still have many of the issues found in other parts of the South. Houston specifically is very conservative and has a large black population. Seattle, Denver, and San Diego would all be good choices. Also look into Boise and Billings, which are up-and-coming Western cities.
If you think running to the West will free of these type of problems; than you are wrong. The West (outside of CA) lacks a large vibrant black community compared to other regions of the country. You can't say places like Denver and Seattle are progressive and not racist; when they have incredibly small black populations for their size.

Houston is very conservative???; yet Harris County (Houston) voted blue in the last election and just recently elected a lesbian mayor. You claim to not have problems with blacks, but you point out we have a large black population as if that makes things worse.

Why don't you just stop hiding your true feelings and ask "Which cities in the West have the least black people?"

Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'm glad you're narrowing things down. I know a lot of people gave you a hard time on your other thread about being non "stereotypical" and looking for a place that is truly open-minded when it comes to race. Your list is a pretty good one.

I lived in Seattle one summer for an internship and found people to be very community-minded, fair, and tolerant. Though Seattle's black population is fairly small, I saw plenty of friendly interaction between the two races. Also, the fact that there really isn't a bad neighborhood in Seattle that is nearly all-black helps the situation. I walked around Seattle's "black" neighborhood a few times and saw a very good mix of people coexisting. The Pacific Northwest really doesn't have a history of racism, and due to the small black population and absence of "ghettos" that can be found in other regions of the country, people likely aren't socialized to fear blacks and think negatively of black neighborhoods as they are in other regions.

I don't know too much about Denver but I've heard good things with regards to diversity and integration. Houston is diverse, but more segregated than Western Cities, minus Los Angeles. San Diego is known to be home to a lot of conservatives (whom lots of people presume to be more racist than liberals... but that often is NOT the case at all), but I have heard that there are better race relations there than further north in the Los Angeles area.

Finally, I think it would be worth looking into Austin as well. Central Austin and the hills to its west and northwest are known to be home to a lot of tolerant people. There aren't too many blacks there either and it is right on the border of where the South stopped and the West began, so there really isn't much of a legacy of racism or fear of blacks there, to my knowledge. Also, due to the University of Texas being a highly-respected research university, there are plenty of intellectuals who care more about what you read or what you aspire to do than about the color of your skin. I don't have much experience with Austin, though, and am primarily going by what friends who have lived there before tell me.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
Western cities can't be as intergrated as Houston when they lack a large black community.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'm glad you're narrowing things down. I know a lot of people gave you a hard time on your other thread about being non "stereotypical" and looking for a place that is truly open-minded when it comes to race. Your list is a pretty good one.

I lived in Seattle one summer for an internship and found people to be very community-minded, fair, and tolerant. Though Seattle's black population is fairly small, I saw plenty of friendly interaction between the two races. Also, the fact that there really isn't a bad neighborhood in Seattle that is nearly all-black helps the situation. I walked around Seattle's "black" neighborhood a few times and saw a very good mix of people coexisting. The Pacific Northwest really doesn't have a history of racism, and due to the small black population and absence of "ghettos" that can be found in other regions of the country, people likely aren't socialized to fear blacks and think negatively of black neighborhoods as they are in other regions.

I don't know too much about Denver but I've heard good things with regards to diversity and integration. Houston is diverse, but more segregated than Western Cities, minus Los Angeles. San Diego is known to be home to a lot of conservatives (whom lots of people presume to be more racist than liberals... but that often is NOT the case at all), but I have heard that there are better race relations there than further north in the Los Angeles area.

Finally, I think it would be worth looking into Austin as well. Central Austin and the hills to its west and northwest are known to be home to a lot of tolerant people. There aren't too many blacks there either and it is right on the border of where the South stopped and the West began, so there really isn't much of a legacy of racism or fear of blacks there, to my knowledge. Also, due to the University of Texas being a highly-respected research university, there are plenty of intellectuals who care more about what you read or what you aspire to do than about the color of your skin. I don't have much experience with Austin, though, and am primarily going by what friends who have lived there before tell me.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
That part is not necessarily true. Just ask people in that region about NE Portland, the Central district of Seattle or the hilltop neighborhood of Tacoma, among others.

Here's some more interesting infromation:
A short Oregon coast black history lesson | North Coast - OregonLive.com
Oregon History Project
The Seattle Times: Opinion: Stain of racism still haunts Seattle neighborhoods

and there are other examples, like the incidents in Mercer Island, a wealthy suburb where Blacks were being pulled over for no reason. On Wealthy Island, Being Black Means Being a Police Suspect - NYTimes.com

So, it's not necessarily perfect on that front either and there is a history. For instance, Oregon had restrictions on Blacks entering the state at one time: black exclusion and negro exclusion and exclusion of negroes and oregon constitution and original oregon constitution

Blacks (http://www.idaho-humanrights.org/Our%20Complex%20Past/includes/blacks.htm - broken link)

Black Heritage Society of Washington State (http://www.blackheritagewa.org/index.asp - broken link)

Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If you think running to the West will free of these type of problems; than you are wrong. The West (outside of CA) lacks a large vibrant black community compared to other regions of the country. You can't say places like Denver and Seattle are progressive and not racist; when they have incredibly small black populations for their size.

Houston is very conservative???; yet Harris County (Houston) voted blue in the last election and just recently elected a lesbian mayor. You claim to not have problems with blacks, but you point out we have a large black population as if that makes things worse.

Why don't you just stop hiding your true feelings and ask "Which cities in the West have the least black people?"
Here's an article that touches on the irony you mentioned about these cities: The White City | Newgeography.com

Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's an article that touches on the irony you mentioned about these cities: The White City | Newgeography.com
I think it's just coincidence that those cities have a relatively low black population. It's not the reason why they're so popular/'cool.'

Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I think it's just coincidence that those cities have a relatively low black population. It's not the reason why they're so popular/'cool.'
I don't think that is what the article is saying. What it is getting at is that it is ironic that they have lower than usual Black communities for being so "liberal". I know that their location and costs, among other things, have a lot to do with why the percentages are lower than usual too.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM

The thing with Austin is that it's pretty close to areas with a sizable black community. I doubt Seattle or Denver are going to have popular black events like the Texas Relay.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The thing with Austin is that it's pretty close to areas with a sizable black community. I doubt Seattle or Denver are going to have popular black events like the Texas Relay.
They might, but they are most likely are going to be on a neighborhood level. Denver is about 12% Black and Seattle is about 10% Black. These sites might help to decide:
Seattle Black Pride - Home
Black Heritage Society of Washington State (http://www.blackheritagewa.org/index.asp - broken link)
Seattle Black Events » Serving People of Color
Seattle Cultural Guides - African American Heritage
http://www.me.washington.edu/diversity/AAResourcesUW2006.pdf (broken link)
http://naamnw.org/
Welcome to the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle
FESTIVAL SUNDIATA - Welcome

African American Arts & Culture
The Denver BlackPages
http://www.caahealth.org/page.cfm
Black American West Museum Home Page
Home

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times
There was also an old thread about the good cities for black people in the west
The best cities for the african americans in the west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.