Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Actually,I thought what you said in that post that he is referring to was intended to be understood as you stated it.(You made a blanket statement about a place that you obviously know little about but made negative comments about the inhabitants of the area.)So seriously where was the sarcasm?You did sound serious.Anyone who tends to write often ,can understand that sarcasim just does not convey well in written form,unless it is just blatantly obvious.No one knows you on here so we have no way of knowing how you really feel.You seem to know how to use the smile icons,So I would suggest you use the when denoting sarcasism so as to avoid confusion of your true meaning.

Also too answer your critical views of how less progressive Southern Blacks are.You should consider these things.
Martin Luther King Jr from Atlanta had as his most trusted fiend and advisor Bayard Ruskin a black openly gay man who actually was the brains and organizer of the March on Washington,was forced out by NEW YORK STATE Representative and SCLC board member Adam Clayton Powell jr.

Billionaire Blacks
Oprah Winfrey-Mississippi
Robert Johnson-MS(BET Founder)
Donald Watkins-Alabama http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Watkins

Reginal Lewis-VA First black man to complete an LBO of a Billion dollar company

Douglas Wilder-VA first Black (elected) Governor of a US State
PBS Pinchback-Georgia fist appointed Govermor of a U.S. state in 1868.Wealthy landowner

Andrew Young-Louisiana first UN ambassador

Walter Massey-MS Former Morehouse College President,Now Chairman of the Board of Bank of America

Last edited by afonega1; 01-29-2010 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
I'd say the best place for black people is the Northeast. Not the South. This is still the south, the only reason its getting more progressive down here is because more Northeners are moving here.
Well I live in the South now. I live in Va Beach. Here is ok for Black people. It is a military city so is a little diversed. In Va Beach there are Indians, Hispanics, Filipinos. So I would say in places that are military cities or diversed is ok if black people move to these places. However if it is in the rural south, then it is not a good idea for black people to move to this kind of place.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well I live in the South now. I live in Va Beach. Here is ok for Black people. It is a military city so is a little diversed. In Va Beach there are Indians, Hispanics, Filipinos. So I would say in places that are military cities or diversed is ok if black people move to these places. However if it is in the rural south, then it is not a good idea for black people to move to this kind of place.
What do you mean "this kinda place"?Seems like you and some others have a disdain for rural South as if its all negative.You know very little about the rural south.If you did you would know that rural south is not so easily categorized as being all the same demographically and even culturally speaking.For instance the rural south that encompasses the Appalachian Region no way resembles other parts of the rural South.Its roughly 90% white.Whereas the other regions can be as high 90%black like some of the cities in Mississippi,Louisiana.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If I had to pick a city in the West outside of CA to move to; I'd definitely pick Denver.
Yup, there or actually Las Vegas. What's interesting with Denver is that the city has a Black (Wellington Webb) or Hispanic/Latino(Frederico Pena) mayor from 1983-2003. Pena was the mayor from 1983-1991 and Webb from 1991 to 2003. Webb was born and raised in Denver too.

Also, Seattle had a Black mayor and County executive at the same time(1997). Norman Rice, was the mayor from 1989-1997 and was also born and raised in Denver. Ron Sims was the King County Executive from 1997-2009. Sims was born in Spokane and his parents moved there from Newark, NJ after WW2, as his dad was stationed there with the Air Force.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-29-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup, there or actually Las Vegas. What's interesting with Denver is that the city has a Black (Wellington Webb) or Hispanic/Latino(Frederico Pena) mayor from 1983-2003. Pena was the mayor from 1983-1991 and Webb from 1991 to 2003. Webb was born and raised in Denver too.

Also, Seattle had a Black mayor and County executive at the same time(1997). Norman Rice, was the mayor from 1989-1997 and was also born and raised in Denver. Ron Sims was the King County Executive from 1997-2009. Sims was born in Spokane and his parents moved there from Newark, NJ after WW2, as his dad was stationed there with the Air Force.
I used to be stationed in Denver also when I was in the Air Force.I really enjoyed my time there.That would be the furthest "Western" city I could live in though.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I used to be stationed in Denver also when I was in the Air Force.I really enjoyed my time there.That would be the furthest "Western" city I could live in though.
Yeah and if I lived there, it would most likely be in either Denver itself or Aurora, which has a higher Black percentage than Denver at around 15%. Maybe the Colorado Springs area too.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM

161 posts, read 418,140 times
ive lived down here most all my life(deep south) and from what i can tell ,
the blacks and whites get along much much better with eachother than they do living up north.
there are many interracial couples here also.,
the media plays it up alot about the deep south 'hatred' of blacks.
its another lie from them as usual.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
There are actually lots of rural areas in the South where black people are dominant. I know a lot of black people who take pride in being "country" They love the lifestyle just as much as rural whites do

Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Stay away from Houston and Austin, and Texas in general. Those are still Southern cities and still have many of the issues found in other parts of the South. Houston specifically is very conservative and has a large black population. Seattle, Denver, and San Diego would all be good choices. Also look into Boise and Billings, which are up-and-coming Western cities.
Moderator cut: see comment Have you ever even been to Houston or Austin?

BTW weren't you the guy going on about how blacks need to "assimilate" or something? If that's you then I shouldn't be surprised with this post.

Last edited by Bo; 02-06-2010 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: I explained why this was deleted in my Direct Message.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
The bottom line is racism has been a part of this WHOLE country from the beginning. Not just the south. The southern white male has just been made into a scapegoat by the rest of the country in order to preserve the image of the rest of the country. If this country were to really start looking like the great oasis they have been trying to sell to the rest of the world they needed to pin the negatives of racism on a scapegoat.

Ever since the Civil War the north has been no better than the south. At the beginning of the war the north swore that it was a "White man's war for Union" and had nothing to do with slaves or blacks therefore blacks would not be taken into the union army. However, they changed their tune when they were losing early on.

Heck even old Abraham Lincoln who many people idolize today had some interesting words in his debates with Stephen Douglas:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything"

Those are some words from the NORTHERN great emancipater.

Hell the biggest racists and exploiters of blacks today aren't rednecks in the south (who are actually the last of our worries if you ask me). They are in high powered positions whether it be corporations or with the government.

It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York.

I'm not saying the south is perfect because obviously some terrible things have happened here. But as a black man who has had a father from Brooklyn who experienced northern racism first hand, it makes me angry when I hear northerners try to sweep what has happened and still happens there under the rug and project some false image. That's just not the case and it irritates me every day that they have gotten away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.