Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree if the number one rule is always treat people the way you would like to be treated then yes,there would NOT be so much trouble.Part of the problem is that our suspicious nature does not allow for us to get to know the individual.No I sympathize with you with what happened.I was making the point that what if I met you and I knew nothing of your past,but upon meeting you tell me that black people have the Black PANTHERS-"they are like the KKK" and the other things you mentioned.Not knowing your past,it would b.e logical for me to assume because of your statements that you are a person who are making excuses for those who traditionaly have made life miserable for blacks.I don't mean to sound harsh because personally I am the type that reacts slow.I just meant that because there are so many people who really are racist,that are not always obvious,when you go through life being hurt by people like that who you thought you could trust,you learn to read between the lines.Most racist people will not tell you verbatim they are racist in 2010.Im thankful that though all my parents had to endure what they had to in the worst part of this countries history,they never taught me to hate back.So no we don't always have to agree,but we should always try to respect each other.You have my respect for at least saying how you feel.
There is a difference between the Black Panthers of yesterday and today's "New Black Panther Party". The Black Panther Party of yesterday was mainly about the power structure and were willing to work with White people and other ethnicities and other leftist groups. The philosophy was that nonviolence would not work and that it would take revolution to restructure the USA's government. It was formed in response to the police brutality in the 1960's. Their calling "All power to all people". The "New Black Panther Party" is just a group that spews hate and dumb rhetoric. That group is as bad as the KKK, but the only difference is that the NBPP has not gotten the chance to run the government in some places. The KKK actually did run the government in some places, like Indiana. I haven't heard about any murders related to the NBPP, but the KKK has killed thousands of people.
Having the parents that I have, I do have a sense of empowerment. My father is the first generation of his family to be born in the North, of parents who left the South in the Great Migration. I am the next generation of it. My father was born, raised, educated(and has a masters degree in technology and science) and he went to the South(and Southwest and West Coast). Having part of my heritage routed in the Great Migration gives me a sense of pride. Same way as your parents growing up where they did, teaching you not to hate. For me, growing up the way I did gave me a perspective on things. I grew up in a few diverse places and it grew on me. Then I lived in a rural, predominantly White area outside of Atlanta. It was a culture shock for me. I went from a place where diversity was valued, to a place where I was the one Black kid in my homeroom(and one of a few I would see during the course of a day). I did encounter a few issues living out there. I also met some nice people out there. I learned something from my own "transient" living. You have to take the person individually. Applying a stereotype to everyone isn't helpful.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
Don't even bother responding to this guy, he's just a bigot.

Anyway, the reason I say the Northeast is the best is because down south it is still segregated. The northeast is segregated too, however, not by race but by class. There are a lot more professional blacks in the Northeast. Well I don't want to generalize a whole region but I can speak on the DC/MD/VA sector because that is where I am from.

Racism down here is institutionalized. Many people down here hold the same close-minded views as JMadison, the troll I quoted in this post.
To be honest, most of my southern white friends, from places like oh, say, Jackson Mississippi, are 100% more comfortable with blacks than any of my white friends from the Northeast. Heck the Northeastern whites still have "Little Italy's" and the like going on. They don't even neccesarily want to mix with each other, LOL!

The northerners simply don't want blacks around at all. The southerners, who after all fought to keep blacks, just don't want them *on top*.

Just my experiences. Nothing to do with bigotry at all.

Bear these in mind:

1) Just because some says something that "sounds" racist, doesn't make that person a racist, if what they are saying is true. Some facts, like it or not *do* fall along racial bounds.

2) Just because a bigot or racist says something about a particular race doesn't make it false. (In fact, if what they say is true, and you attack them as a bigot or racist, you are committing and "ad hominem" attack. Google on it.)

You would characterize me as a bigot, and/or a racist, yet if you go find all my posts, you'll find spots where I argue that blacks are superior in various ways. So how's that fit into your calculus? LOL! In fact, that's what I perceive as the problem, blacks will africanize the western hemisphere and then it will become the mess that africa is. Those of us with less aggressive genetics might percieve that for what it is, a threat to our own heritage.

It's easy to see. Go to any majority black place is the world, with a few exceptions where the blacks are doing well within a community like Hollywood, or Pro Sports, and you'll see nothing but malaise.

It's just the way it *is*. To say it isn't neccesarily racist, or even bigoted.

I have continuously argued for "equal in the eyes of the law". Which of course butts heads with the "more equaler" status of affirmative action et. al. I have also argued against Neo-Nazi and KKK type approaches to the issue.

As I've said elsewhere, "equal in the eyes of the law" is what's right. However, that doesn't mean I neccesarily want to live in those communities, as a matter of personal freedom/choice.

And having been attracted to asian gals in the past that felt whites were "*****s" or at least "not asian", I know it doesn't feel great to hear it. But that's just how it is. Can't expect a gal that finds my features unattractive, even if they are an artifact of my race, to want to love me.

It's just the way it goes.

Doesn't have to be any White Supremecist motivation behind it at all. Just freedom of choice.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
To be honest, most of my southern white friends, from places like oh, say, Jackson Mississippi, are 100% more comfortable with blacks than any of my white friends from the Northeast. Heck the Northeastern whites still have "Little Italy's" and the like going on. They don't even neccesarily want to mix with each other, LOL!

The northerners simply don't want blacks around at all. The southerners, who after all fought to keep blacks, just don't want them *on top*.

Bear these in mind:

1) Just because some says something that "sounds" racist, doesn't make that person a racist, if what they are saying is true. Some facts, like it or not *do* fall along racial bounds.

2) Just because a bigot or racist says something about a particular race doesn't make it false. (In fact, if what they say is true, and you attack them as a bigot or racist, you are committing and "ad hominem" attack. Google on it.)

You would characterize me as a bigot, and/or a racist, yet if you go find all my posts, you'll find spots where I argue that blacks are superior in various ways. So how's that fit into your calculus? LOL! In fact, that's what I perceive as the problem, blacks will africanize the western hemisphere and then it will become the mess that africa is. Those of us with less aggressive genetics might percieve that for what it is, a threat to our own heritage.

It's easy to see. Go to any majority black place is the world, with a few exceptions where the blacks are doing well within a community like Hollywood, or Pro Sports, and you'll see nothing but malaise.

I have continuously argued for "equal in the eyes of the law". Which of course butts heads with the "more equaler" status of affirmative action et. al. I have also argued against Neo-Nazi and KKK type approaches to the issue.

As I've said elsewhere, "equal in the eyes of the law" is what's right. However, that doesn't mean I neccesarily want to live in those communities, as a matter of personal freedom/choice.

And having been attracted to asian gals in the past that felt whites were "*****s" or at least "not asian", I know it doesn't feel great to hear it. But that's just how it is. Can't expect a gal that finds my features unattractive, even if they are an artifact of my race, to want to love me.

Doesn't have to be any White Supremecist motivation behind it at all. Just freedom of choice.
One, I don't see what isn't bigoted with not wanting Blacks to be on top, or to share in the economic prosperity. When you want to have a certain ethnicity to be below you, then that is bigoted. Jackson being more comfortable with Blacks? If that was the case, then more White people would be living there. Besides, the only reason Blacks were even kept around was not for justice reasons, but for economic reasons. When slavery was abolished, there was Reconstruction. After Reconstruction ended, there was the Jim Crow laws. The only reason Blacks were even kept around in many places was to do the dirty work, the sharecropping. Once farming went mechanized, alot of African-Americans found themselves out of work and went to the northern urban areas for work. Fact is, the USA in general didn't have alot of use for African-Americans. Once a certain industry didn't need as many people, or that industry could find cheaper labor, where did it leave the Black persons who took those jobs? Jobless.

Here is a question. If the statement really is racist, then why would a non-bigoted person say it? Another thing to define is racist. A racist is someone who believes a certain race is inferior to another. Bigotry is hatefulness, which stems from racism. Claiming one race is better than another in general is not only racist, but a fallacy.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 AM

93,282 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

Bear these in mind:

You are missing the difference. In the NE, many cities had ethnic enclaves, in which people of certain ethnic groups lived in. While this was the case, it wasn't necessarily exclusive to that ethnic group and many neighborhoods were shared enclaves. For instance, in my area, we have a neighborhood called Tipperary Hill that is mostly Irish American, but it also has Ukrainian folks and institutions based for that ethnic group. There are Blacks and people of other backgrounds that live there too. So, it doesn't mean exclusivity or that the enclave keeps people out, per se. That has loosened up as time has gone on. Another example is Harlem, which is predominately Black, but has "Hispanics" and even still to this day, a now very small Italian community that has been there a long time, with both in East Harlem.

In the South, it is different in that there isn't as much ethnic variety, usually, among the White population and Whites and Blacks have been around each other in higher numbers, again usually.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM

148 posts, read 550,287 times
It would be great if everyone could walk in someone else shoes for awhile. No matter where they come from black white what ever . Male or female . Rich or poor Bet you more people would understand each other. and I sir respect you for the nice comment back. Take care

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm a young black male living in Southern California. It seems like everyone I've known or grew up with has moved to the old school South. Now my views about the South isn't positive, just anywhere outside the West. It would be cool if all my old friends returned to LA. Be like old times.

What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?

Bruh, I too live in So Cal, Orange County to be exact, and am trying to get the heck up outta here ASAP!! The reason we (Black ppl) are leaving Cali is because we have significantly become out numbered out here. There are waaayyyy more hispanics here than there was 5 yrs ago when I first left Cali to join the military. The South gives off a feeling of comfort, not just because there's plenty of blacks out there, but because our culture is there and the things we like to do. i.e. Sports, Soul Food, Music scene, style...man, Cali caters to 2 3 races now, whites, hispanics and asians...JIMO! Can't wait to leave....never would have moved back if I knew it was gonna be like this...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexiiLioness23 View Post
Bruh, I too live in So Cal, Orange County to be exact, and am trying to get the heck up outta here ASAP!! The reason we (Black ppl) are leaving Cali is because we have significantly become out numbered out here. There are waaayyyy more hispanics here than there was 5 yrs ago when I first left Cali to join the military. The South gives off a feeling of comfort, not just because there's plenty of blacks out there, but because our culture is there and the things we like to do. i.e. Sports, Soul Food, Music scene, style...man, Cali caters to 2 3 races now, whites, hispanics and asians...JIMO! Can't wait to leave....never would have moved back if I knew it was gonna be like this...
Texas is headed in that direction.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:

Bear these in mind:

Northerners don't want blacks at all? Ha I do not know where are you going with this pal. You have to remember that the South was part of the Confederate states and not the North... So maybe South is the one that did not want the Blacks.. However that is changing. I live in Va Beach now. Before VA used to be very racist. Now I see Whites and Black mingling with each other. However there is still racist parts but only in the very country parts.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexiiLioness23 View Post
Why are you afraid of being around other races/ethnicities/cultures? Isn't that segregation? How is that any better than whites fleeing areas because blacks started moving in?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Blacks are well represented in ALL segments of society.AS another poster said;"to claim you cannot get a job cause you are black is nonsense if you live in Atlanta"
Your absolutely right. I've come to just ignore the Fairfaxian's posts. He's a typical (black) racist. Every single post I've ever seen him post on the entire forum is about how the northeast is so terrible and then he divides black people into categories etc. or how he is an "educated" black guy and "black" culture doesn't accept him for it.

I've been called an oreo and such too by other black people for getting university degrees and wearing jeans that fit. But I'm not seriously going to think that these people calling me an "oreo" or saying "i'm trying to act white" are "real" black people in the same way I don't think that a white guy spewing racial words is a "real" white guy. The saddest thing is, some people fall for it and get all worked up and feel "unaccepted" because of a few ignorant people. Most black people could care less. The same people seem to accept the president as a "black" guy even though he is mixed and his father is from another continent!

Being ghetto/thugged out/gangsta does not equal "black" American. That's like saying being a redneck (no offense to anyone) is equal to being a "white" American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.