Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Do they have West Indian Day Parades, Latin Festivals, Chinatown, Little Havana, Little Haiti, Greek town, Little Italy, Little Tokyo, Mexican Restaurants, El Salvadorian Paupusa(sp) Restaurants, Peruvian Chicken Restaurants, West Indian Roti/Jamaican Jerk Chicken Restaurants, Ethiopian Restaurants, South and West African Restaurants, etc?????????
My man have you ever been to Houston or Atlanta? Especially Houston when talking about Mexican and Salvadorian restaurants.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My man have you ever been to Houston or Atlanta?
I have been to Atlanta, and I did not see any Caribbean West Indian, West African, or Ethiopian Restaurants.........

Quote:
Especially Houston when talking about Mexican and Salvadorian restaurants.
I have not been to Houston(I definitely want to go in the future) and I am not surprised that they do have Latin Restaurants in Houston...

The question is; are the Latin Restaurants in Houston have better tasting food than the Latin Restaurants in LA and San Diego........

Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 AM

287 posts, read 498,165 times
Quote:
I have been to Atlanta, and I did not see any Caribbean West Indian, West African, or Ethiopian Restaurants.........

I have not been to Houston(I definitely want to go in the future) and I am not surprised that they do have Latin Restaurants in Houston...

The question is; are the Latin Restaurants in Houston have better tasting food than the Latin Restaurants in LA and San Diego........
simple google search
Nadia's West African Restaurant - Norcross | Urbanspoon

Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:

Well the last part is mostly opinionated as you will get people arguing for both sides. Texas does have a step up in Tex-Mex. As far as what the rest of Houston has to offer.
B4-U-EAT - Houston Restaurant Guide

Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM

159 posts, read 406,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Some very misinformed and ignorant posts in this thread already, most likely from folks that have spent very little time in the South. Your chances for peace and prosperity are as good or better in today's South than anywhere else.
I have to agree with this. I've spent a lot of my life living in the North and a lot living in he South. Other than the major northern cities (like NYC, Chicago, Detroit, and Philly) the rest of the North is pretty darn white. Untrue of the South.

An example--go to the Bronx, you'll find tons of black people. Drive 20 mins to Westchester county and (other than Yonkers and Mt. Vernon, which border the Bronx) you'l be very hard pressed to find a black person. My black ex bf and I drove a few hrs north of NYC, on our way to Niagara Falls, and stopped at a cafe in upstate NY. We saw some of the most backward looking, white people, who gave us many stares.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
I have been to Atlanta, and I did not see any Caribbean West Indian, West African, or Ethiopian Restaurants......
Then you really didn't get around much........

Food & Drink | Creative Loafing Atlanta | Restaurants & Bars

Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
I have to agree with this. I've spent a lot of my life living in the North and a lot living in he South. Other than the major northern cities (like NYC, Chicago, Detroit, and Philly) the rest of the North is pretty darn white. Untrue of the South.

An example--go to the Bronx, you'll find tons of black people. Drive 20 mins to Westchester county and (other than Yonkers and Mt. Vernon, which border the Bronx) you'l be very hard pressed to find a black person. My black ex bf and I drove a few hrs north of NYC, on our way to Niagara Falls, and stopped at a cafe in upstate NY. We saw some of the most backward looking, white people, who gave us many stares.

This all depends on where you are in Upstate NY. Actually, the "blackest" major city in NY State is Rochester. Buffalo, Albany and Syracuse have higher percentages of Blacks than NYC. There are black communities in smaller cities and towns too. So, it really depends on where you are in Upstate NY. I wonder where you were in regards to the people staring at you guys.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:03 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post

This all depends on where you are in Upstate NY. Actually, the "blackest" major city in NY State is Rochester. Buffalo, Albany and Syracuse have higher percentages of Blacks than NYC. There are black communities in smaller cities and towns too. So, it really depends on where you are in Upstate NY. I wonder where you were in regards to the people staring at you guys. In fact Rochester has a higher Black percentage than Charlotte, Charleston SC, Nashville and Raliegh, among some others. Same with Buffalo as well. You will also find some suburbs in Upstate NY with Black folks too.

Also, that is not true about Westchester County. There are quite a few Black folks in Peekskill, Ossining, Tuckahoe, Dobbs Ferry, White Plains, New Rochelle, Port Chester and some in other communities. In Rockland County, most of the Nyacks(especially Nyack and Central Nyack), Spring Valley, the Haverstraws, among a few others.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Just One......

Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Well the last part is mostly opinionated as you will get people arguing for both sides. Texas does have a step up in Tex-Mex. As far as what the rest of Houston has to offer.
B4-U-EAT - Houston Restaurant Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.