Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Oh...I agree to a degree but for clowns to claim the South as the ancestral home of African Americans as we didn't have history before slavery or for blacks to be so proud of their Southern roots that they defend the South's racist history or claim that it's okay cause their alleged great grandpappy might have been plantation owning swine pig is crossing the line.
Okay, so what's the alternative? These people you speak of are culturally American. They have extensive roots in American territories. All of their experiences are American. All of their relative's experiences are American. Should they claim some kind of loyalty to some African nation that they have exactly zero experience of? What are the benefits of that?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM

314 posts, read 759,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Okay, so what's the alternative? These people you speak of are culturally American. They have extensive roots in American territories. All of their experiences are American. All of their relative's experiences are American. Should they claim some kind of loyalty to some African nation that they have exactly zero experience of? What are the benifits of that?
Being culturally American doesn't make Amerikka the land of their ancestors muchness suppress their African ethnic makeup...By and large black American culture is vastly different from white and others American culture.I would suggest these oreos quit lying to themselves and accept whom they are..The reason blacks in Amerikka are so screwed up as if is as a people is that they have adopted so many negative characteristics of Amerikkan culture from the hatered of blacks which leads to black on black crime, Eurocentric standards of beauty which leads to low self esteem/inferiority complex, and greed which leads to crime and drug the trade..There are more positives to black Americans re identifying with their African heritage than you give credit for....The Afrocentric black Americans seem to be the most progressive and stable.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-06-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
That's all good, but to be blunt, do blacks and whites date together, live together (in the same houses), and "sleep" together. At this point, those are the measuring sticks of progress in the South. And to be blunt again, I have only really seen those things on the rise in Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia (and I'm not just counting NoVA), nor I am counting South Florida neither.

I know I sound like a buzz-killer, but I'd love to give the South a chance, Only thing is it needs to prove itself! But if it makes you feel any better, the North/Midwest isn't that much better in current comparison.

To answer your question as i hope it was issued with sincerity than just baiting,but because people acknowledge and talk about a lot of this stuff in the South its almost a dead issue.Sometime its shocking to me too see how much comfort there is between blacks in white in the rural areas.Morehouse had a white valedictorian.there was no backlash,just support for a fellow brother.Atlanta is no different than D.C. I have so many friends that are Asian and black,white and black,you name it,I got it.

You can think what you want but I gotta say some of you act as if those who chose to move South are accepting less humanity.It so ridiculous at this day in age.And NO the South does not need to PROVE anything.Many of our ancestors who remained in the South went through everything so all of America could be better.You live in the state that was the capitol of the confederacy,why do you excuse it as though it never happened there?Not just that but the rest of the Northeast had to change too.Things were not rosy there either.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Being culturally American doesn't make Amerikka the land of their ancestors muchness suppress their African ethnic makeup...By and large black American culture is vastly different from white and others American culture.I would suggest these oreos quit lying to themselves and accept whom they are..The reason blacks in Amerikka are so screwed up as if is as a people is that they have adopted so many negative characteristics of Amerikkan culture from the hatered of blacks which leads to black on black crime, Eurocentric standards of beauty which leads to low self esteem/inferiority complex, and greed which leads to crime and drug the trade..There are more positives to black Americans re identifying with their African heritage than you give credit for....The Afrocentric black Americans seem to be the most progressive and stable.
Blah blah blah....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
You didn't grow up in the South did you? Your spelling of America with k's is a nice touch. I also like the fact that I have a much better understanding of American black culture than you. You seem to have more of a hatred of it than anybody I know. I don't look at blacks in America as "screwed up". I see legitimate reasons for cultural and economic differences based upon history. The reason I am proud of black history in Georgia is because of the way it has risen above adversity. There is no reason to look for pride in the country of origin for black Americans. They have done it right here. As far as Afrocentric blacks being more successful? I have only to compare the success of black Americans to that of black Africans to see where you go wrong.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Blah blah blah....
In other words I'm right and you cant' refute anything I said

Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You didn't grow up in the South did you? Your spelling of America with k's is a nice touch. I also like the fact that I have a much better understanding of American black culture than you. You seem to have more of a hatred of it than anybody I know. I don't look at blacks in America as "screwed up". I see legitimate reasons for cultural and economic differences based upon history. The reason I am proud of black history in Georgia is because of the way it has risen above adversity. There is no reason to look for pride in the country of origin for black Americans. They have done it right here. As far as Afrocentric blacks being more successful? I have only to compare the success of black Americans to that of black Africans to see where you go wrong.
Born and bred...How so did you come to this conclusion of having a better understanding of black American culture than me? Nah..I only hate the self destructive aspects of our culture hardly the whole culture..I'm actually very proud of my culture....As a whole we are very messed up as a people and it's cause of the same history some of us proudly claim as part of thier heritage...Being proud of your Southern slave roots is equivalent of the idiots whom claim to be proud of coming from the most violence plagued ghettos..If more blacks Americans pride in their heritage/origin we wouldn't be so lost as a people...I said Afrocentric blacks tend to be more progressive and stable not necessarily more successful but they are less likely to fall into the self destructive pitfalls that have plagued AA people and are known to try to improve their communities. ..African Americans on average are more wealthy than Africans by default of living in the richest country on Earth not necessarily cause we are more successful than Africans..By your same standards Africans living in America usually outdo American born blacks.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-06-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
That's all good, but to be blunt, do blacks and whites date together, live together (in the same houses), and "sleep" together. At this point, those are the measuring sticks of progress in the South. And to be blunt again, I have only really seen those things on the rise in Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia (and I'm not just counting NoVA), nor I am counting South Florida neither.

I know I sound like a buzz-killer, but I'd love to give the South a chance, Only thing is it needs to prove itself! But if it makes you feel any better, the North/Midwest isn't that much better in current comparison.
Interracial dating/marriage is pretty common in North Alabama, specifically Huntsville. I've never noticed anyone bat an eye at it either. We have very good friends, white husband, black wife with a mixed daughter. We've had conversations with them about it. Frankly, she says she gets more grief from her family than anything. His family is supportive. Other than the rare old timer who hasn't moved past the 60s, they've never had any issues. Even those issues are no more than a sideways look from an old fart.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:

Seriously, you think miscegenation is the measure for racial acceptance?

That's totally destroying your blood line. You don't have to destroy your bloodline to be accepting.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Seriously, you think miscegenation is the measure for racial acceptance?

That's totally destroying your blood line. You don't have to destroy your bloodline to be accepting.
I agree with this but I don't believe that it should be a concern if you happen to fall in love with whomever you fall in love with,you should be able to do so without prejudice in a free country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.