U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,015,044 times

Advertisements

I'm a young black male living in Southern California. It seems like everyone I've known or grew up with has moved to the old school South. Now my views about the South isn't positive, just anywhere outside the West. It would be cool if all my old friends returned to LA. Be like old times.

What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM

33,132 posts, read 56,533,130 times
I was born in raised in East Oakland many of my black friends from my childhood and teen years live in Sacramento and Solano County--and some, Id say about 10 according to our class website, now live in Atlanta.

I say cool. If they are happy there why not? They can get much bigger and nicer homes for better prices down south.

Plus Atlanta has a huge concentration of talented black artists and entertainers who have a real cohesive community of black-oriented filmakers and tv and music productions.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,429,602 times
The South is sometimes seen as more "family" friendly. Also several Southern cities are majority black and actually provide fairly good chances of advancement for minorities. I think I read somewhere that many of the least segregated cities in America, at present, are Southern cities.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

102 posts, read 270,120 times
I'd say the best place for black people is the Northeast. Not the South. This is still the south, the only reason its getting more progressive down here is because more Northeners are moving here.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,015,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
I'd say the best place for black people is the Northeast. Not the South. This is still the south, the only reason its getting more progressive down here is because more Northeners are moving here.
Regardless of how things are, the West will always be my home.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 AM

14,323 posts, read 19,869,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
Interesting comment. Why is the Northeast the best place for black people?

I guess I don't view the South as progressive...at least not politically. We can always count on that region of the country to vote the way the klan does, for the Conservative agenda. This despite so much black presence.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,429,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I guess I don't view the South as progressive...at least not politically. We can always count on that region of the country to vote the way the klan does, for the Conservative agenda. This despite so much black presence.
This is a broad and rather unfair maligning of a large swath of America.

I really doubt the Klan wants people like Joseph Cao and Bobby Jindahl in office, but conservatives did. Even Sarah Palin I doubt fit the Klan ideal of women, which traditionally tends to be domestic and submissive. It was also a conservative woman, Elizabeth Rickey, who maybe did the most to expose and derail David Duke.

There is an unfortunate history of racism and segregationism in the conservative movement, but to say it "votes the way the Klan does" is insulting and unjust.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,421,155 times
Best guesses... lower housing prices, and compared to SoCal, the South is much more africanized.

I'd say it's safe to say that the blacks have or will successfully taken over the south. It is in what demographers refer to as "the black belt". So given that white flight is the only acceptable response to africanization, eventually it'll probably be entirely like Detroit. At least in the cities. Most major southern cities I can think of of the top of my head are already or are approaching majority black.

So long story short, more affordable, more people of the same ethnicity, growing every day.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 AM

102 posts, read 270,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Best guesses... lower housing prices, and compared to SoCal, the South is much more africanized.

I'd say it's safe to say that the blacks have or will successfully taken over the south. It is in what demographers refer to as "the black belt". So given that white flight is the only acceptable response to africanization, eventually it'll probably be entirely like Detroit. At least in the cities. Most major southern cities I can think of of the top of my head are already or are approaching majority black.

So long story short, more affordable, more people of the same ethnicity, growing every day.
Don't even bother responding to this guy, he's just a bigot.

Anyway, the reason I say the Northeast is the best is because down south it is still segregated. The northeast is segregated too, however, not by race but by class. There are a lot more professional blacks in the Northeast. Well I don't want to generalize a whole region but I can speak on the DC/MD/VA sector because that is where I am from.

Racism down here is institutionalized. Many people down here hold the same close-minded views as JMadison, the troll I quoted in this post.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 AM

833 posts, read 1,200,309 times
Wow lots of stereotypes in this thread already isn't there? UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) has been ranked 3rd in the nation of most interaction between races and classes. The two schools before that are in Miami and Mass. So one of the cities that was the center of Civil Rights fight is now one of the best places for race interaction. In the larger cities in the south it is very de-segregated. Of course when you move out of the cities to the more rural areas there isn't much interaction but people of all races still live there. Yes there is still racism of ALL kinds not just towards blacks but to whites and latinos as well. But as was said there are some very large black communities in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.