U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,157,033 times
Reputation: 211

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ahahaha, tourists make a city now? Is this what puts Las Vegas and Orlando above Boston and Chicago? Jesus christ...
No tourists don't make a city, that's not what I said. You said SJ was becoming more powerfull than SF and I agree that on a tech industry level that is very true but SJ lacks in everything else compared to SF.

Edit// By mistake I put do instead of don't, fixed it.

Last edited by kcee510; 11-07-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,157,033 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol...
they aren't are they?

note to self, please memo the sf 49ers and tell them not to move to santa clara...
Thank you! Can someone also explain to me why then the SF 49ers headquarters and practice facilities are located in Santa Clara (next to SJ) if it's not even considered in the same metro as SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,580,918 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
No tourists do make a city, that's not what I said. You said SJ was becoming more powerfull than SF and I agree that on a tech industry level that is very true but SJ lacks in everything else compared to SF.
What the ****? I didn't say that. Get your **** straight.

And besides, San Jose has its own arena, opera, ballet, symphony, night clubs, theaters and all that. Who cares if San Francisco's is all "world-class" (**** ****)? The point is that the cities are distinct in many senses.

Stick to sideshows and drooling over an orange bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,157,033 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What the ****? I didn't say that. Get your **** straight.

And besides, San Jose has its own arena, opera, ballet, symphony, night clubs, theaters and all that. Who cares if San Francisco's is all "world-class" (**** ****)? The point is that the cities are distinct in many senses.

Stick to sideshows and drooling over an orange bridge.
My bad Machiavelli stated SJ was becoming more powerfull then SF...no need need to flip out. The cities are distinct in many ways just as Oakland is distinct from SF. However I believe SF,Oakland, and SJ are all one metro.

The news stations here cover all three cities as one metro

abc7news.com: San Francisco Bay Area Breaking News for San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose

San Francisco, Oakland & San Jose: Bay Area News, Weather & Traffic - KTVU California

KRON4.com - The Bay Area's News Station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
 
306 posts, read 241,975 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
No tourists do make a city, that's not what I said. You said SJ was becoming more powerfull than SF and I agree that on a tech industry level that is very true but SJ lacks in everything else compared to SF.
The last time that I checked, the people who currently live in the city make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,157,033 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
The last time that I checked, the people who currently live in the city make it.
This is just not my day lol...I had an accounting miderterm at 9am so excuse the mistakes my brain is working in overdrive right now. It should say Tourists Don't make a city. Proof reading was never my strongest strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Reputation: 9584
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There may be some spots but, the Parkway may seem rural because its surrounded by trees, but thats because it is a designated US Park Service highway. No trucks allowed nor can highrise developments be built directly off it. There are in fact many suburban developments off each of the exits as soon as you bare off the highway. Laurel, Columbia/Ft Meade, Arundel Mills is one of the largest malls in the state with new apartments and townhomes being built around it (and maybe soon casinos), BWI airport and the hotel district surrounding it are all exits along the 20 mile stretch from 495 Beltway to 695 Beltway. Nonetheless in another 10-15 years the development will truly resemble that of one metro area when the BRAC re-alignment adds another 30,000 jobs in AA and Howard county.

I understand the facts about commuting patterns but many people commute from Howard and Anne Arundel county to work in Montgomery, Prince George's or DC. I know more people that live in Columbia who work and go out in the District than they do Baltimore. In fact when their friends from out of town come in, they tell them they live near DC although physically about 10-15 miles closer to Bmore.
Well I do see your point. But I still do not look at Baltimore and Washington as one MSA like I look at Dallas and Fort Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Fresno
254 posts, read 618,694 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
It does not mateer where someone is from.

It's clear that San Jose is a LONG commute away from San Fran, which is why it's included in the CSA and not the MSA.

This is my opinion and the government see it this way too. I am not the only one.
Since when is the government trustworthy lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The rationale behind a MSA is travel and commute patterns. If people do not travel between two areas in sufficient numbers, then those two areas are not part of the same MSA, even if there is a continuous belt of suburban development between them. In that concept, a MSA is equivalent to our general concept of "city".

In the case of SF and San Jose, the local people are not willing to travel between them to the extent required, and that splits them into two independent regions. And they are, in fact, economically and socially independent. Both San Jose and SF-Oakland could survive if they were split and seperated.

The same thing seems to apply to both Washington and Baltimore. They are independent in terms of travel/commute, and have independent economies.

In the case of Dallas-Fort Worth, FW is integrated into the Dallas metro. WE know that because 30% of the local county commutes to jobs in Dallas county. Obviously, the local people believe that it is feasible to travel between Dallas county and and Tarrant county (Fort Worth) for entertainment and jobs. If Tarrant county (Fort Worth) were to be seperated from DFW metro and moved to another part of the state, its economy would collapse. 30% of its workforce would be unemployed.
This is the most intelligent post in the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
They are definitely still two separate metro areas. There are about 80 miles between the actual cities. If you're going to include Austin/San Antonio, you might as well include Phoenix/Tucson (99 miles), but I certainly do not see Phoenix/Tucson as one (and hope they do stay separate).
OK, if we go down this road, then how about Niagara Falls-Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse-Utica-Rome-Schenectady-Albany-Troy-Springfield-Hartford-New Haven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top