U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,282 times

Advertisements

As I've grown older, the axiom "The more I learn, the less I know" has proven fairly true, and made me a fairly moderate guy. I'm curious which cities would reflect this, and not necessarily in just a socio-political sense.

I'm registered to neither the Democratic or Republican party, and unlike many people I see on he net, there are aspects of both philosophies I like. I don't necessarily have a preference between left or right leaning moderates; what I DON"T like are monolithic blocks of like-minded zealots who feed of their mutual feelings of ideological superiority and alienate those who think differently.

I wouldn't want an environment of stifling religious culture that aimed to try and tell everyone how to live, nor would I want one where people either can't or don't care to distinguish the average American Christian from Pat Robertson.

I wouldn't like somewhere that's economically depressed, but also probably wouldn't like somewhere that's yuppie central, where people who would be considered solidly middle class elsewhere feel like they're just getting by.

I wouldn't want to be somewhere boring or hopelessly out of the loop, and would want access to at least one pro sports team, but I'm not fixated on being seen in all the hottest bars/restaurants and having endless "cool" things to do.

Basically, what are some overall middle-of-the-road cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,429,477 times
My location of Dayton, Ohio is. So is Columbus.

Cincy would fit, too, but has a rep for conservatism as a whole (fair amount of truth to that)

Cleveland is liberal, along with the rest of NE Ohio and Toledo.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
Omaha is pretty much 50/50 in voter registrations between Democrats and Republicans, but we don't have a pro team, economy is awesome though.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
San Diego is very moderate overall and the county is evenly split between democrats and republicans. People tend to be somewhat apathetic about politics and do get in your face about it here. A survey of the countries most liberal/conservative cities based on voting patterns placed SD right in the middle.

SD seems like a decent fit for you except it's expensive and b/c of that it has a shrinking middle class.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,040,201 times
The San Antonio area is fairly moderate, in terms of electoral politics Bexar County has been correct in 12 of the past 13 Presidential elections. Obviously with all cities it is more liberal in the urban areas and more conservative in the suburban areas. Once you get out of Bexar County into Kendall and Comal County it gets very conservative very quickly. San Antonio is also listed as one of America's friendliest cities. I'm not sure if there is a huge correlation between friendliness and political extremes but not having people protesting yelling about stuff clearly helps.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
The San Antonio area is fairly moderate, in terms of electoral politics Bexar County has been correct in 12 of the past 13 Presidential elections. Obviously with all cities it is more liberal in the urban areas and more conservative in the suburban areas. Once you get out of Bexar County into Kendall and Comal County it gets very conservative very quickly. San Antonio is also listed as one of America's friendliest cities. I'm not sure if there is a huge correlation between friendliness and political extremes but not having people protesting yelling about stuff clearly helps.
If you look at the precinct-by-precinct election results in Bexar County, there are many very red precincts and very blue precincts and there are distinct lines dividing the two areas by by geography. Although the county has plenty of red and blue voters, I haven't encountered many moderates here in San Antonio, nor can I think of any currently holding public office.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,712,249 times
The Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois was fairly moderate when I lived there.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,282 times
Sperling's has San Antonio proper at about 55-45 split Republican-Democrat. I can see it might be conservative-leaning, but would anyone familiar with the area say it's overwhelmingly conservative? Keep in mind, my hometown of Washington, DC is registered about 89% Democrat, and you're probably better off coming out in support of Fidel Castro than you are a Republican politician in that town, so from where I stand the numbers make San Antonio look fairly moderate.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Someone here said Indianapolis was relatively moderate. Davenport, Iowa looks like it's in a county that's consistently Democratic, but not strongly so. Dayton, as mentioned, looks like a good choice. Spokane is deemed conservative for a Northwest city, but judging by some things that might means it's moderate by general standards.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
You know, Knoxville is pretty generic. Moderate politically & socially. Moderate economy, moderate weather, moderate traffic, a bit on the religious side but still in the moderate range.

You will encounter zealots on both the right and left but they are in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.