U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,004,526 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm confusing it with parts of Montana, then (and notice that I said "parts").

Beautiful pictures, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,998,227 times
I sort-of understand the confusion. I was aware much of it is mountainous, but I also thought I read somewhere that a part of Wyoming is flat. Hence settlers going to Oregon would go through Wyoming because it was easier then crossing higher mountains.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,004,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I sort-of understand the confusion. I was aware much of it is mountainous, but I also thought I read somewhere that a part of Wyoming is flat. Hence settlers going to Oregon would go through Wyoming because it was easier then crossing higher mountains.
I work with a gal from Wyoming, and I could swear that she said it was flat as flat. But now I'm really curious and will ask her about it tomorrow.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM

6,527 posts, read 7,483,594 times
I see you have my state of Michigan on your list. Our weather is very cold in the winter, so if your looking for that we have it. We also get more snow than many of those states, escpecially if you live downwind of Lake superior or Lake Michigan. As far as scenery goes, the northern half of our state is beautiful, forest area with alot of lakes. Anywhere near the great lakes is pretty. Our summers and falls are very very nice. Spring is a bit nasty and wet, slushy. There is one big downfall to Michigan that you must not underestimate, that is the poor economy. If you need a job it could be hard here. Our housing cost is dirt cheap though because of the economy. One thing to consider, Wisconsin and Minnesota are ALOT like Michigan but with a little bit better economy. Those states offer the same upper midwest experience as michigan without the severity of recession we have here.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,981 times
Hmm...Alaska?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,998,227 times
Of large cities Anchorage, Alaska does have the lowest temperature they list.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c460.html

Although Grand Forks, North Dakota is third and is first for coldest winter.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c456.html

Of smaller towns/cities Fairbanks appears to get colder in the winter, although also warmer in the Summer, than Anchorage.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairbanks-Alaska.html

I would guess Barrow, Alaska gets very cold as it's on the Arctic Ocean. That appears to be right as its average high for July doesn't seem to quite reach 50 while its average high for December through March is below zero.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Barrow-Alaska.html

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,894,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I work with a gal from Wyoming, and I could swear that she said it was flat as flat. But now I'm really curious and will ask her about it tomorrow.
She was probably from the part that IS flat as a pancake. Wyoming is really big, and it is a Rocky Mountain state (just like Colorado and Montana) with the Rockies running through it. East of them, it's flat--the high plains/Great Plains. In the mountains or west of them, it is not flat.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The majority of the state is dominated by the mountain ranges and rangelands of the Rocky Mountain West, while the easternmost section of the state includes part of a high elevation prairie region known as the High Plains.

The Great Plains meet the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming. The state is a great plateau broken by a number of mountain ranges.
To the OP, I'd recommend it as a good place for what you're looking for.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,440,191 times
If you go for Minnesota try Duluth or the area along the Lake Superior shore. Minnesota can get hot and humid in the summer (some parts more than others) and the cities and towns along the lake always feel nice and cool. MN gets snow, but not as much as some other cold parts of the country.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 AM

4,806 posts, read 9,441,195 times
Grand Forks ND is the coldest city (average temp wise) in the lower 48 for any place over 50,000 pop. Looking at sites that have a long history of climate records...the honors for coldest city (again looking at average temp--not the coldest ever) belongs to Langdon ND in far northeast ND. There are areas in far northern New England and northern MN that rival it for sure.

As someone who lives here...trust me it is cold in most winters and stays cold for weeks on end....getting to 30 in January winter is cause for celebration and to take off the winter coat.

For Langdon ND average Jan monthly temp 11.6 average monthly low -9.2

Dan meteorologist in GF ND/EGF MN

Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 AM

30,721 posts, read 49,520,236 times
Maine?

Mostly forested, lots of rivers, lakes.

Over 3,000 miles of coastline.

If you like wildlife: moose, deer, beaver, wild turkey, we have lots of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.