U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
"Southern hospitality" is mostly an act.
Of course it's an act. Southern hospitality doesn't mean that we geniunely like everybody.. that would be totally ridiculous. Southern hospitality is about treating strangers nicely, whether you like them or not. It doesn't make us "fake", it just means that some people hold themselves to higher etiquitte standards when dealing with strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:14 PM

122 posts, read 307,929 times
I have to agree with anonymous on this one. I've lived in both SC and NC and I haven't witnessed any real difference ( and I just love Charleston, went to h.s. there ).

The point is that (a) the poll doesn't really mean anything, not really, when you look at the sample space and context ( increase the sample space and-or change the context and you might get a completely different result ), and (b) perceptions are biases. We all have perceptions and we all have biases. I can love one place and someone else can hate it. If ten people say the world is flat and one says it is round, the only thing that proves is that ten people say the world is flat and one says it round ( sorry, the Zen in me couldn't resist that ).

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Default Curious about Friendly Retirees

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There are certainly friendly and not-so-friendly people everywhere. I lived in both Carolinas for significant amounts of time. Possibilities for why NC fared better:

The same is true for the Triangle in NC to some extent, but folks there generally relocated for work rather than retirement, and for some reason that translates into a friendlier bunch, if one is to generalize.
We are interested in relocating for retirement and finding friendly people is our main focus, along with weather. I'm really curious about your statement that the people who relocate for work are friendlier than people who relocate for retirement. Can you elaborate a little further on this point?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaughtry View Post
Adream-

I think you said it right when you asked about the perceived "friendliness factor". I lived in different places around North Carolina, including Wilmington and Charlotte, both of which are close to South Carolina. In Charlotte I knew people who lived in South Carolina who came to Charlotte for work and/or church. I don't think that there's any significant difference between the friendliness of the people of these two great states.

Here are my theories. South Carolina still suffers nationally from political issues surrounding its stance on the use of the Confederate flag at the state capitol. Additionally, due to North Carolina's closer proximity to the concentrated population base of the Northeast, I think more people have had experiences with the colleges and universities of North Carolina or its vacation spots in the mountains or on the coast. For example, it seems like there's quite a pipeline from PA, NJ, and NY to the Outer Banks and to both the public and private universities of the state. So, for those people, they speak to what they know and have experienced.
You are aware that that flag is now restricted to a MONUMENT on the statehouse grounds? It no longer flies above the capital building.
We don't "suffer" from it. Tourism in SC is a major part of our income, and according to a newspaper article a few months ago, the NAACP boycott really isnt hurting us that much.

We have, in true South Carolinian style, simply told the rest of the nation to mind its own damn business...
Most of us like it that way.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM

395 posts, read 400,223 times
IMO, South Carolina is more like Virginia. More snooty and "blueblood". I know that William Byrd II said NC was a "humble oasis in between two mountains of conceit" - VA and SC.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:53 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Default NC/SC Friendliness

It doesn't really matter which state is friendlier now. As more and more northeasterners migrate to the area, the friendliness factor will change drastically. Northeasterners are more reserved and that will show up shortly as a distinct change in attitude.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM

395 posts, read 400,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In the South, anywhere in the South, even in the semi-South like Maryland, almost all the unfriendly or rude or arrogant people are originally from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.
That is really true. I know I have friends from Deep South, and I invite them to Richmond to experience the charm of the area. While they comment on how they know Virginia " is still in the South"- they also tell me its a lot more "Northern" or un-Southern - its because of all the Non-Virginians we have now!

I cringe because I know those people arent the real Richmonders- they are the transplants! And all the natives here are nice (well not all, just in general) But I know that I cringe when some of my Deep South friends go to a restaraunt in Virginia and get greeted with " Hieeee. How are you guyeeees?" ECK.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
IMO, South Carolina is more like Virginia. More snooty and "blueblood". I know that William Byrd II said NC was a "humble oasis in between two mountains of conceit" - VA and SC.

Well, just break my poor lil snooty heart why dont you??

HA! NC'ers are just as cocky as we are. And I can say this because I was born a Tar Heel.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,083,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
That is really true. I know I have friends from Deep South, and I invite them to Richmond to experience the charm of the area. While they comment on how they know Virginia " is still in the South"- they also tell me its a lot more "Northern" or un-Southern - its because of all the Non-Virginians we have now!

I cringe because I know those people arent the real Richmonders- they are the transplants! And all the natives here are nice (well not all, just in general) But I know that I cringe when some of my Deep South friends go to a restaraunt in Virginia and get greeted with " Hieeee. How are you guyeeees?" ECK.
I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm from the Deep South(South Carolina) and my city is growing like crazy. I cringe the most when I hear Southerners saying "you guys". It makes me want to shake them and say "it's 'y'all'. You are from the South!"

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm from the Deep South(South Carolina) and my city is growing like crazy. I cringe the most when I hear Southerners saying "you guys". It makes me want to shake them and say "it's 'y'all'. You are from the South!"
Amen! What happened to guys being, well, guys? I am not a guy, will never be a guy and don't like to be called one. Thank you very much That is one thing you will NEVER hear me say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or