Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,745,697 times

Advertisements

In reference to the StuckinKentucky's "Most Friendly State" poll & thread, I noticed that NORTH Carolina was way ahead of most as being the most friendly, well over their neighbor SOUTH Carolina. SC did not appear to fare very well.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-friendly.html

I've been interested in North Carolina for several years now (yeah...me and everybody's brother) and have started researching Greenville/Traveler's Rest/Seneca, South Carolina lately.
I am interested in the opinions of those familiar with the two states as to why there is such a difference in the perceived "friendliness factor?" Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,889,579 times
I live in the Charlotte area, which strattles NC/SC. Actually, both states are very friendly. I know/have met many awesome people from both.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:48 PM

80 posts, read 460,537 times
Smile Friendliness Factor Question Solved

Adream-

I think you said it right when you asked about the perceived "friendliness factor". I lived in different places around North Carolina, including Wilmington and Charlotte, both of which are close to South Carolina. In Charlotte I knew people who lived in South Carolina who came to Charlotte for work and/or church. I don't think that there's any significant difference between the friendliness of the people of these two great states.

Here are my theories. South Carolina still suffers nationally from political issues surrounding its stance on the use of the Confederate flag at the state capitol. Additionally, due to North Carolina's closer proximity to the concentrated population base of the Northeast, I think more people have had experiences with the colleges and universities of North Carolina or its vacation spots in the mountains or on the coast. For example, it seems like there's quite a pipeline from PA, NJ, and NY to the Outer Banks and to both the public and private universities of the state. So, for those people, they speak to what they know and have experienced.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:59 PM

531 posts, read 2,005,997 times
I live right on the NC/SC border. Both areas have very friendly people. I am surprised more SouthCarolinians did not speak up because they are just as nice!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,656,681 times
In all honesty, the people here in the south only appear to be friendly/neighborly by waving at complete strangers. "Southern hospitality" is mostly an act. Once you get past all that fake cheerfulness from the southern accent ("why bless her heart, she's as dumb as a bag o'hammers") you realize that people here in NC/SC are just as fake (or genuine, depending on how you look at it) as the plastic people in Los Angeles, CA (which I noticed didn't even make the list).

Not saying that people in NC are not friendly. I just don't think people here are necessarily friendlier than Yankees or those from the left coast.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM

238 posts, read 1,141,671 times
I find the people in the South are really nicer. Sure there are some fakes but if you can at least start a conversation with some politeness, finding a real friendship is easier.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,789,862 times
In the South, anywhere in the South, even in the semi-South like Maryland, almost all the unfriendly or rude or arrogant people are originally from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 AM

122 posts, read 346,240 times
I've lived in South Carolina, Alabama, New Mexico, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and now North Carolina. And I have spent significant time in almost every other state, except maybe the Dakotas and Maine. The friendliest place I have ever lived was Auburn, Alabama. And North Carolina isn't bad either. I love it here. Even so, I tend to think there are friendly people and not-so-friendly people everywhere.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,325,429 times
There are certainly friendly and not-so-friendly people everywhere. I lived in both Carolinas for significant amounts of time. Possibilities for why NC fared better:

1) If folks were thinking of the Charleston area, people are VERY friendly, but old-money Charlestonians are notoriously closed about who they let into their social circles. It can be a bit of a snobby place, if you stick around long enough. Still, one of my favorite places in all the world.

2) If folks have spent time around Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head, most of the people they meet probably aren't even from SC. BIG TIME transplant areas. The only people I know who are born and bred in either area are first generation southerners. The same is true for the Triangle in NC to some extent, but folks there generally relocated for work rather than retirement, and for some reason that translates into a friendlier bunch, if one is to generalize.

3) In areas that aren't transplant heavy in SC, folks have generally been around for a long time. That makes them less friendly to outsiders, I'd imagine. My family (both sides) has been in SC since before 1700. We alway endeavor to be friendly to everyone, but I'll admit that I used to get a little miffed from time to time growing up when someone with out of state plates cut me off on the highway (we lived along a popular route to the coast). Why did that bother me more than someone with local plates cutting me off? I don't know. I couldn't say. It's silly.

For the record: Lots of areas of both states can be a little apprehensive to outsiders. I get looks (or feel like I get looks) when I drive down to the Carolinas because my car has Illinois plates. Not everywhere, but in places that are well-kept secrets. Places no one is crazy about getting overdeveloped by outsiders. Parts of the coast. More remote areas of the mountains in Western NC. The sorts of places that people would rather NOT have a guy in a convertible with IL tags poking around for fear that he may erect some silly monstrosity of a cabin and start the decline of an already precarious way of life.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,450,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
In reference to the StuckinKentucky's "Most Friendly State" poll & thread, I noticed that NORTH Carolina was way ahead of most as being the most friendly, well over their neighbor SOUTH Carolina. SC did not appear to fare very well.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-friendly.html

I've been interested in North Carolina for several years now (yeah...me and everybody's brother) and have started researching Greenville/Traveler's Rest/Seneca, South Carolina lately.
I am interested in the opinions of those familiar with the two states as to why there is such a difference in the perceived "friendliness factor?" Thanks!
I think you're giving the poll way too much credit. The sample size isn't large enough to produce meaningful results. Also, you can see that there is a bias towards the more populous states, and also a bias toward the most visited states. Just look at how skewed the results are: Alabama and Mississippi get no votes, but Texas gets 13, and Georgia gets 5?

I've lived in North and South Carolina, and if you're basing your move on this poll, I think you're pointed in the wrong direction.

Last edited by anonymous; 11-19-2007 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.