Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,407,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, I hope all my fellow CDers are having a great day. The point of this thread: I'm looking for a place to move to within the U.S. This move will be for my mom and myself and after 30+ yrs in South Florida, we are both very ready for a change. Problem is, we are stumped as to where to move. This is where I need your help! Please, could you recommend a place in the U.S. for two single girls to relocate. I'm finishing my RN and she's retired so we're flexable job wise. I am really looking forward to hearing your responses as I am sure I will learn much, so plug away and tell me where we should move to, and why. Take care, ..lil red........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:38 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,877,336 times
I'm guessing that the reason no one has responded is that your question is very general. With only the info that you and your mother are flexible about where you could work, and that you want out of southern FL, it seems that you could move anywhere that lacks whatever it is you don't like about where you are now. Maybe that's why you're having trouble deciding on a place.

The answers to some questions about what you would want in a place to live might help narrow things down:

What kind of budget do you expect to live on? What overall cost of living and housing costs fall within your expected budget?

What kind of climate do you want?

What kind of local setting do you want? Do you want to live in or near a big city, in the 'burbs, non-suburban small town, in the country, in the country but still within an hour or two of a city, etc., etc.?

Do you want good public transit, or would you be okay with driving everywhere? Or would you want to be able to walk to many of the everyday shopping or dining establishments you might patronize?

What about politics? Is this important? Is it important to you to have any particular political leaning predominate in the area where you live, or would you prefer a moderate political climate, or does this matter? How about the practical issues related to politics, like whether you'd be okay with high taxes if the state provided a variety of services, or would prefer low taxes and just basic services?

What kinds of activities would you want available in a city or town you might live in or near? Art museums, science museums, rock concerts, ballet, theater, symphony, major-league sports, historical sites?

What about outdoor activities you might like? Any kind of natural scenery you'd especially like to have around you?

Are there any regions that you already think seem appealing, where you might especially like to consider living?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,497,946 times
Yeah more information would help. Still the vagueness does let my imagination wander.

Crawfordsville, Indiana is the home of Wabash College which is one of the last secular all-men's colleges. So maybe a single gal would like that

Vancouver, Washington looks to have a fair percentage of female registered nurses and is bound to be a good deal different than South Florida.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Vancouver-Washington.html

Charleston, South Carolina has a good deal of male Registered nurses if you want something that's not quite so far.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c122.html

Bella Vista, Arkansas has plenty of older people, meaning your mom here, and when we drive through it on the way to see grandma it looks pleasant. It likely has more of a change of season than Florida if you want that.

Montana seems to be doing fairly well in this economy and has some towns on the following list.

bizjournals: Rankings of 140 towns (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/181.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.