U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has cell phone culture ruined America's once distinct regions?
Yes 12 37.50%
No 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 AM

1,512 posts, read 7,274,327 times

Advertisements

Has cell phone culture ruined the distinctiveness of our country's regions? Does anyone else noticed that cell rudeness and lack of etiquette caused by this technology has ruined everyplace in America, from small town to big city?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,588,859 times
Most people who have a clue (and some manners!) turn off their phones or have them on silent, vibrate or off when they are in a restaurant, theater, church, museum or some place where having a cell phone ringing would not be appropriate and would distract/disturb others. However, these wonderful people are few and far between! Personally, I am very mindful of keeping my phone turned off when I am some place where I feel it would not be appropriate for it to ring. But I am glad I have the phone for emergency situations and to keep in contact with my children so I know where they are and what they are doing.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,088,055 times
Keep the cell in your car - there's no reason to have it glued to your hip. I use it as little as necessary.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,274,327 times
More people have said 'no than 'yes'. This is suprising.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:52 PM

65 posts, read 321,089 times
Anyone in here besides me who has never owned a cell phone?? (and are PROUD of it!)

Old 05-13-2007, 03:07 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
I wouldn't say cell phones have done anything to homogenize the US. IMO, it is a myth that we are so homogenized. Each area has its own distinctiveness, and cell phones can't change that.

They are both a pain and a blessing. My kids both went to out-of-state colleges; it has been nice to be able to call them for free on our family plan. When I was in college, a long distance call was reserved for deaths in the famly and other calamitous events. Many theaters and such now either tell people to turn off the phones or put it in the program.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 7,775,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
More people have said 'no than 'yes'. This is suprising.
Not really, I don't see how cell phones have "ruined" our nation's regions. It's just a phone, no big deal. Freeways, endless suburbs, air and water pollution, strip mines, etc are serious issues that physically impact our nation's regions far more than a bunch of cell phones.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,247,905 times
If your referring to the cell phone & tech gadget mania here & pretty well all over in a rudeness, inattentive way I say you bet, just take a look around people cant shop, drive, or do most anything nowadays without there cell glued to there hip or ear, standing in line at a bank yup there's the one with a cell phone, go through half the grocery store with phone to ear having not a clue that they're blocking isles, driving over curbs, missing stop signs, veering over into the other lane if the thing rings or trying to make a call.

Ever try carrying on a face to face conversation with a cell geek, it can’t be done without there cell going off every 5 or so minuets, text messaging oh yea we really need that too, small kids with cells, I would almost bet that one third of cell users cant even go into the bathroom without that cell, oh yea now that would be an real interesting conversation wouldn’t it, cells do have a purpose and a place in society but it is way over abused

Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,873,701 times
Yep, I had a nice conversation with a person in the stall next to me before -couldn't for the life of me figure out why she was asking how I was and what I was doing , but being polite like I am, I was telling her, until it became clear she was NOT talking to me!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,477,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnywabbit! View Post
Anyone in here besides me who has never owned a cell phone?? (and are PROUD of it!)
Hi Bunny (I just love saying that!) -

If you don't feel you need it, that's great. I wish I didn't, but live in a large city & am sometimes alone on public transit late at night. I'm a small girl & don't look as if a ninja could spring forth from me should I find myself in an iffy situation. I look more like a bunnywabbit! On Sat, I took the 11:45pm bus home & walked home alone from the busstop. A bit scarier than usual as all the streetlights were out on 1 entire street. I need a cell to be safe, given the higher crime rate & increased gang activity here.

I also have had flat tires & dead batteries & needed to call AAA 5-times in 3-yrs. I wasn't near home, any of these 5 times. Again, if it's 11:45pm & I have a flat on the highway or my 16-yr old Geo chariot decides to take its last breath, what are my options? All seem dangerous - walking on the highway to the next exit (hoping I don't get hit by a car or abducted along the way), sitting in my tiny car hoping & praying that police eventually come along (especially chancy when I have a soft-top & the door locks no longer work) or changing a flat at midnight on the side of the highway, alone (I'm not strong enough to change a tire). Yikes!!! I'll take my cell, which I use for urgent calls or emergencies. I carry with me at all times, because as you can see, I've been in situations where I've needed it & felt very secure & safe for having it.

I do choose to use the manners I grew up with to not have disturbingly loud conversations in front of others. The last time I had to call AAA, when my muffler fell off 10-mi from home, it was a lovely warm day, but I rolled up my window so others didn't have to listen to me yell into my phone over traffic. I have overheard plenty of shocking conversations about things I'd only discuss with a very intimate partner or in private with my doctor, but, this is the world we live in & I don't think it's the cell that makes people not conscientious of others. It doesn't occur to them to be considerate to begin with. I feel my best option is to learn to adjust as much as possible, otherwise, I'd honestly be upset everyday I left the house & had to listen to a grown man loudly argue for 15-min with his wife, on the phone, in the middle of the Stop & Shop market's check-out line, directly behind me, that she is too picky with the salad dressing & didn't pick up his laundry, like he'd asked. Loud conversations are part of our society now, but I'm still glad I can not just feel save, but be safe with my cell.

Just my 2 cents... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or