U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,199,350 times

Advertisements

Well, you have to put a whole lot of effort and strictly watching your own pronunciation. Immersion into a culture is the best way to lose an accent.

That's what I did in Brazil.

But then if you keep your accent, that's okay too. My parents have been in the US for 40 years(from Tonga) and they still have a noticeable accent. Nobody cares as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,292,436 times
I agree, you have to really immerse yourself to the dominant accent-style, and pay attention to the subtleties and practice practice.
It will take time, but it is also because of the influence of the first language that causes a little block.
It is not only sheer enunciation and pronunciation but the intonation too; there are people who speak English with minimal accent but their "intonation" is different that you can tell they're from somewhere else- not like there's anything wrong with this though. "Intonation" is different among English-speaking people around the world too.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
13 is quite old. I know a few people who came to Oz at that age, even younger, and most retain the accent. I myself was not born in Australia, but since I have lived here since I was a mere 1 year old, I have no trace of any accent. Weirdly, though, I had a Singaporean accent until age 5-6, it only became fully Australian perhaps age 8-9, but all the traces are gone.

While my cousin is similar to me, yet there is a faint trace of it in his accent.

Perhaps it will change as you get older, I hear American tends to be easy to pick up.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM

273 posts, read 668,070 times
It does vary from person to person, and some people have an easier time adapting to different accents than others. The language you are changing from/to probably also matters, depending how vastly different they are.

In general, based on what I've usually witnessed, heard, and read, the early teens are a cut-off point beyond which it becomes very difficult to fully learn to speak another language like a native, without an accent....no matter how long you live there later. Obviously, there are always exceptions and some people even take training which I guess helps as well. I've known people who have been in the US for 50 years and almost completely gave up their native language, yet they still had slight accents - they were in their early 20s when they came over.

I came over at age 13 and I've completely lost my accent after about 3-4 years, however, my parents still have thick accents and we've lived here for 17 years.

In the end, I really don't think it matters if you have an accent though, as long as everyone can understand you. I don't think most people care at all, and if anything, it is viewed favorably and people think accents (not all) sound sexy, interesting, smart, etc. I sometimes wish I still had a little bit of mine left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.