Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times

Advertisements

What makes an American city a world class city?
In my view a world class city has:
-a population with a variety of interests.
-cultural activities (from conventional to controversial, where the latter is not held in some back room attended by no more than a dozen people). Music concerts for varied tastes. Art shows that exhibit art, not crafted (or mass produced) ornaments and decorations.
-cosmopolitan ( a variety of racial and ethnic origins, evident in events and foods).
-different religions and non-believers as well.
-produced well known intellectuals, not just sports stars and entertainment celebrities.
-(to me, very important) a window to the world, that is, the people take an interest in current events, other nations, and cultures. That local media reflects this attitude.
-educational institutions that signify more than providing sports action.
Maybe somebody can add to this list.
Do you think there are American cities that like to label themselves as world class without knowing what world class is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you think there are American cities that like to label themselves as world class without knowing what world class is?
I think so. Miami, Dallas and Houston could fit that category.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Omaha fits into all of those categories

Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Omaha fits into all of those categories
Maybe, but i wouldn't go so far as to say Omaha is a world class city More of a small, plains, growing American city.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM

118 posts, read 537,568 times
world class cities should have economies and cultures that influence the world...

LA, NY, Chi

Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
world class cities should have economies and cultures that influence the world...

LA, NY, Chi

I'll second this. Most large groupings of people in the US fit the criteria Visvaldis lists to varying degrees. Omaha does, Des Moines does, but that doesn't mean I'd put any of those cities on the same status as London, Paris, Toyko, New York, etc... or even Boston, Seattle, Madrid, Sydney and so-on.

I think one thing that is factored in is name recognition, which I guess goes alongside having an influencial economy and culture. If you were to name some random Chinese city with a population of three million, the overwhelming majority of us would have no clue as to what the place was about. If you would go virtually anywhere in the world and say "Paris", "London", "New York", everyone would know what you're talking about.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 PM

64 posts, read 181,394 times
I agree that Omaha fits all of those categories, but I also agree that its not up to the standards of world class cities.

I think most places fit the OP's list and that is where it is flawed. I also think it shows a degree of misunderstanding in larger communities as to the extent of amenities, diversity and general connectedness that exists in places beyond their urban islands. I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is doing that necessarily, but it is something that is seen on this forum regularly and this illustrates it well.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - this seems pretty right on. Many cities, even Omaha, exhibit some of these characteristics, but not nearly enough to qualify.

edited to change the context of where this post was directed (that being removal of a quoted section)

Last edited by kite eating tree; 04-09-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

64 posts, read 181,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I'll second this. Most large groupings of people in the US fit the criteria Visvaldis lists to varying degrees. Omaha does, Des Moines does, but that doesn't mean I'd put any of those cities on the same status as London, Paris, Toyko, New York, etc... or even Boston, Seattle, Madrid, Sydney and so-on.

I think one thing that is factored in is name recognition, which I guess goes alongside having an influencial economy and culture. If you were to name some random Chinese city with a population of three million, the overwhelming majority of us would have no clue as to what the place was about. If you would go virtually anywhere in the world and say "Paris", "London", "New York", everyone would know what you're talking about.
And I'll second this.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Analyze and research Paris and then one will know what a world-class city is like.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
The following should fit what you mean, I think.

Baltimore - John Hopkins, The Peabody, US Lacrosse Museum and National Hall of Fame, Great Blacks in Wax, Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum, H. L. Mencken, Cab Calloway (born elsewhere, but raised in Baltimore), etc.

Boston - Berklee College of Music, New England Conservatory of Music, Boston University, Art Institute of Boston, the Boston Pops, Aerosmith, 'Til Tuesday, etc.

New York City - Dealt with enough.

Philadelphia - Philadelphia Orchestra, Curtis Institute, Patti LaBelle, McCoy Tyner, Will Smith, Bill Cosby, etc.

I've been out much of the day so my mind is blanking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.