U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,106,485 times

Advertisements

5 hrs north - Montreal
5 Hrs West - Syracuse
5 Hrs South - Philly
(They are all between roughly 310-320 miles from boston)

and everything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM

927 posts, read 1,913,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Where I live, a lot of people consider going nowhere a valid vacation option. It is nice to just take time off for enjoying everything the city has to offer.
Very true. "Staycations" are very popular in NYC. Places like NY and others in the northeast are cultural hotbeds and tourist meccas, so residents could easily have plenty of days filled just getting to know their own city.

In fact, in many major cities people just don't have the time getting to know where they live because they have to do un-fun things like, y'know, work and sleep for most of their time living there.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM

353 posts, read 512,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Ahh, got you. Now that we've established that proximity to vacation spots isn't really a significant selling point, let's concentrate on the text I bolded. That is the reason people don't want to live in Phoenix (or at least I wouldn't want to live there). I want to live in a place that is interesting for its own sake. When I take a vacation, it is because I am looking to find something, not to escape something.

Where I live, a lot of people consider going nowhere a valid vacation option. It is nice to just take time off for enjoying everything the city has to offer.
Are you kidding? I live in Scottsdale. People from all over the country flock here. If you can't find something to do here it's you not the city.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
I think you misread what people say Twiggy ... it's not to escape boredom, it's to gain a diversity of experiences

although we are close to many things, i can content myself very well right here in phoenix ... there is an absolute ton to do here, especially for a sports nut like myself

when I lived in philadelphia I loved how close it was to other cities/experiences ....... you could hit NYC, Baltimore, DC, the beaches of NJ/DE/MD, go up into the poconos, etc

however, it's harder to completely change climates and find that kind of diversity in philadelphia than it is here in AZ

5 hours would get you to virginia beach, but that's not far enough south to be really pleasant in the winter

it's the variety of the type of vacations you can take that make phoenix interesting .... if you like taking beach vacations you can live many places, in phoenix you can find a beach year round that will be relatively pleasant .... although I wouldn't want to do much swimming at rocky point in the winter months, the temps still break 70 pretty frequently

within 2 hours of each other you have a city that gets over 100" of snow every winter and a city that roasts in the summer with many days over 110 degrees

it's the diversity that is touted ... just because people say "escape the heat" doesn't mean they are miserable ........ back in upstate NY people would escape the snow by travelling to florida and myrtle beach ........ i swear like 60% of my town resided at myrtle over our spring break ...... wasn't because people hated where they lived, just were looking for something different and a break from the worst part of the weather

in the NE if I drove 2-3 hours I'd probably be close to the same temps, trees, topography, etc

here those 2-3 hours can see you transition from cactus to pine trees as you traverse through canyons, etc

it's nice having diversity of options nearby for when you want to find something a little different

Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,085,708 times
The nice thing about living near DC is that there are plenty of options within a few hours drive. Baltimore is about 1:15 for me less than an hour for others. It's close by but a totally different city from DC with a cool harbor and skyscrapers.

Of course there's NYC which is about 5 hours away by the bus. The buses to NYC are really cheap too you can get tickets for like $15 if you reserve early enough. This is also something for our New York friends to consider if they want to take a trip to DC.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Very true. "Staycations" are very popular in NYC.
Staycations are also very popular here in phoenix ...... it's not that unique

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

terrence - i loved visiting DC when I was living in philly (baltimore as well, although we usually day tripped for that one with a couple overnighters due to heavy drinking.......)

one of the things I loved about DC was that the metro system was really good ... us broke college kids could stay on the outskirts a little bit, pay a lot less for hotels and then just ride the train in to wherever we wanted to go

Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
terrence - i loved visiting DC when I was living in philly (baltimore as well, although we usually day tripped for that one with a couple overnighters due to heavy drinking.......)

one of the things I loved about DC was that the metro system was really good ... us broke college kids could stay on the outskirts a little bit, pay a lot less for hotels and then just ride the train in to wherever we wanted to go
Ah gee. DC is definitely fun. Of course after living here a year I don't appreciate the touristy stuff as much although I love taking out of guests sightseeing. Last month took my mom into the city but the weather was awful so I was definitely not enjoying myself as much as I normally would.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Of course now it's time for me to plan my Philly weekend would love to make that a day trip but I think it's a little too far for that. Might just stay at a cheap motel along the way if I get sleepy. Philly hotels were looking kinda expensive, not DC expensive but still more than I wanted to pay this close to Christmas. We'll see.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

last time I was there it rained pretty much the whole weekend ... i'm wanting to make an east coast swing again sometimes soon as there is a lot that I miss

i was the same way when it came to touristy stuff in philly ...... although I wouldn't do too much of it with my local buddies, as soon as one of my friends from back home or some family would come into town I'd have a whole list of things that i've been wanting to check out and then just drag them along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or