U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,888,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Its not by chance that I drive to, or through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park about every 8 to 10 weeks.

And from Beaverton. Your "Rose City" is Portland, right?
Portland, indeed.

Those are some mighty fine pictures you've got up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM

723 posts, read 1,398,348 times
Within 5 hours of the Charleston area:

So much to do!

Charleston, of course, is one of the largest tourism destinations on the East Coast (lots of beautiful sights), and has a huge pull. Thousands of students take field trips there, and you have great beaches.

Within 1 hour:

Folly Beach
Kiawah Island (beautiful beach, home of 2012 PGA Championship)
Sullivan's Island
Isle of Palms
Seabrook Island
Edisto Beach (all great beaches with their own characteristics)
Summerville (beautiful town known for its azaleas)
Moncks Corner/Lake Moultrie (great lake known for its fishing, could be more than 1:00 from some areas)
Georgetown (small town, has several museums)
Walterboro (beautiful historic homes in downtown)
ACE Basin, Edisto River (one of the few black-colored rivers in the nation)
Several others I didn't mention

1 to 2 hours:

Beaufort (beautiful military town, very scenic, 1:15-1:45)
Most of the Grand Strand, including Myrtle Beach (1:20-1:40 for southern beaches, 2:00-2:20 for northern beaches including North Myrtle Beach)
Lake Marion (another great lake to fish on, 1:00-1:45)
Manning (nice small Southern town, 1:30)
Sumter (another good military town, 2:00)
Savannah (great scenery, beautiful city, 2:00-2:30)

That's just within 2 hours! You have Hilton Head in the same distance, you are 1:45 from Columbia, less than 3 hours to Augusta, 3:10 to Wilmington, less than 3:30 to Charlotte, 3:30 to Greenville, 4 to Hendersonville and some of those close-in NC mountain towns, about the same to Asheville, 4 to Jacksonville, 4:30 to St. Augustine, 5:15 to Atlanta, and a lot of other places I didn't mention.

We are in a great location in the Southeast.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 8,035 times
Raleigh NC is also a short drive to beaches, mountains, amusement parks, DC - and it feels like you live in a park even when you drive down the tree-lined freeways. Recently transplanted here and love everything about it!!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Within 2-5 hours of Rochester we have Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Adirondacks, VT, Whiteface, Lake Placid, Lake George, Wine country, Catskills, NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland,Toronto, Thousand Islands, Lake Ontario

Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Within 2-5 hours of Rochester we have Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Adirondacks, VT, Whiteface, Lake Placid, Lake George, Wine country, Catskills, NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland,Toronto, Thousand Islands, Lake Ontario
Montreal and Ottawa are also around 5 hours from Rochester.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Montreal and Ottawa are also around 5 hours from Rochester.
Forgot about Ottawa. I think Montreal is around 6.5-7. It took me 5.5 hours to get to Plattsburgh and from Plattsburgh it's around another hour to Montreal.

Upon second look it looks like Montreal is only 5.5 hours away. I though it was much farther.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Forgot about Ottawa. I think Montreal is around 6.5-7. It took me 5.5 hours to get to Plattsburgh and from Plattsburgh it's around another hour to Montreal.

Upon second look it looks like Montreal is only 5.5 hours away. I though it was much farther.
Yup, take I-81 north off of the Thruway and once you cross over at the 1000 Islands Bridge, take a right and travel on the highway for about a couple of hours. You could also take Route 37 before the 1000 Islands Bridge to Ogdensburg and crossover there.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,983,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I live in Dayton.
Close by:
In the Dayton Metro: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, The Greene Town Center, the Nutter Center, the Oregon District
An HOUR SOUTH:
In the Cincinnati Metro: Bengals games, The Beach Waterpark, King's Island Theme Park, Kenwood Town Center, Cincinnati Mall, Carew Tower (one of the tallest skyscrapers built before the Empire State Building), downtown Cincinnati shopping in general, and Newport on the Levee, upcoming All American Tower
AN HOUR NORTH:
In the Columbus Metro: downtown, Short North, German Village, Ohio State games, COSI, and the Easton Town Center
-Lima and Springfield and Troy are moderately sized historic towns
TWO HOURS WEST:
In the Indianapolis Metro: plenty of suburban shopping, Children's Museum, DOWNTOWN, and beautiful suburbs!
THREE HOURS SOUTHWEST:
Louisville Metro
THREE HOURS NORTH:
Cleveland Metro= alot of shopping, Lake Erie, Cedar Point (one of the biggest theme parks in the world)
and don't forget Akron Metro, Canton, Youngstown
FOUR HOURS NORTH: Toledo
FOUR HOURS SOUTH: Memphis and Nashville
FOUR HOURS EAST: Pittsburgh
FIVE HOURS WEST: CHicago
Dayton has a really great proximity to alot of great cities!

It takes you 4 hours to drive 140 miles from Dayton to Toledo ?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,823,302 times
Raleigh-

to the North:
Washington, D.C.
Richmond
Charlottesville, Va.

to the West:
Boone and surrounding mountains in NC
Asheville, NC
Greenville, SC
Charlotte

to the South:
Myrtle Beach
Charleston
Columbia, SC

to the East:
Outer Banks
Wilmington, NC
Norfolk, Va.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,360,275 times
There's plenty to do right here, but within about five hours you have Prince William Sound, Wrangell-St. Elias National Park (by far the largest NP), half a dozen easily-accessible glaciers, five different mountain ranges, and so on. Basically, Southcentral Alaska and a bit of the Interior: endless wilderness, rocky beaches, alpine tundra, temperate rainforest, mountains and canyons and grizzly bears. If you really have to go to a city, you can get to Anchorage in five hours and hit five different breweries in an afternoon. And then you can go home to a town where nobody locks their doors at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or