U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,373,992 times
Reputation: 1428

Advertisements

Are there day or weekend vacations you can take from your city or town within 2 to 5 hours that give you change from your day to day scenery?

I live in Phoenix, AZ and have argued that we are not the only state where you can drive 2 to 5 hours for a different feel. People always boast that in Phoenix (desert), you can drive 5 hours to an ocean, or 3 hours up a mountain for skiing, cooler weather, change of scenery. I of course feel you can change scenery in a lot of other states.

So let me know, does anyone live in a city where its possible to have a nice mini vacation you can take to escape the daily grind with in 2 to 5 hours away?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,284 posts, read 3,976,601 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Are there day or weekend vacations you can take from your city or town within 2 to 5 hours that give you change from your day to day scenery?

I live in Phoenix, AZ and have argued that we are not the only state where you can drive 2 to 5 hours for a different feel. People always boast that in Phoenix (desert), you can drive 5 hours to an ocean, or 3 hours up a mountain for skiing, cooler weather, change of scenery. I of course feel you can change scenery in a lot of other states.

So let me know, does anyone live in a city where its possible to have a nice mini vacation you can take to escape the daily grind with in 2 to 5 hours away?
Thanks,
Actually, if you are looking for a beach, you can trim at least an hour off of that drive from Phoenix if you are driving to Puerto Penasco, MX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,373,992 times
Reputation: 1428
Before any AZers get on and do their thing, just like they do on our thread, let some other cities have a go at it! Ok, 4 hours to a beach if you aren't afraid of going to Mexico and getting shot by the drug cartel. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,284 posts, read 3,976,601 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Before any AZers get on and do their thing, just like they do on our thread, let some other cities have a go at it! Ok, 4 hours to a beach if you aren't afraid of going to Mexico and getting shot by the drug cartel. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Long Island
7,876 posts, read 9,671,459 times
Reputation: 4971
Yes, I live less than 5 hours from:

Cities:
Philadelphia, Baltimore, & Washington DC.

Fun Spots:
Wildwood (NJ), Atlantic City, Hersheypark, Dorney Park, Six Flags Great Adventure, Splish Splash, etc.

Other:
The Hamptons, Poconos, Woodbury Commons, etc.

I didn't include places North/Northeast/Northwest of New York City because I don't know a lot about them (except the Poconos lol). I live about 2 miles from the beach (Long Beach/Atlantic Beach) so I didn't include that. My most radical change in scenery was an hour and 45 minute flight from NYC to Orlando, it went from hot & steamy with regular trees to hot & steamy with Palm trees .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 2,468,369 times
Reputation: 440
I live in Houston, and San Antonio, Austin, and Corpus Christi are about 3-4 hours away, Dallas and Fort Worth are about 5 hours away. South Padre, McAllen, the Mexican border, and Banton Rouge, LA are about 6 hours away and New Orleans is about 7 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
4,793 posts, read 9,816,349 times
Reputation: 3199
Within 2 hrs or less:
Philadelphia
Atlantic City
Most of the Jersey Shore
the Poconos
the Catskills
Hudson Valley
much of Long Island

2-3 hours:
Cape May
Delaware beaches
Baltimore
PA's Amish country
Saratoga
the Berkshires
Providence
Newport, RI
New London, CT
Mystic, CT
the Hamptons
Montauk Point

3-4 hours
Ocean City, MD
Chincoteague, VA
Washington, DC
Annapolis, MD
Harpers Ferry
the Pennsylvania "Wilds"
the Finger Lakes
Ithaca
Cooperstown
the Adirondacks
Lake George
Boston
Block Island

Within 4-5 hours
Charlottesville, VA (possible in 5 hrs, but unlikely)
Richmond, VA
Ohiopyle
PA's Allegheny Natl Forest
Syracuse
More of the Finger Lakes
Lake Placid
Killington, VT
Green Mtns of Vermont
Manchester, NH
Portsmouth, NH
Cape Cod (probably can't get to the end of the cape in under 5 hrs)
Martha's Vineyard

If you extend the reach to 6 hrs you can get to a lot more places
Wiliamsburg, VA
deep into the Shenandoah Valley
West Virginia mountains
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Montreal, PQ
Burlington, VT
Stowe, VT
Lake Winnepesaukee, NH
White Mtns of NH
Portland, ME
Provincetown, MA
Nantucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Long Island
7,876 posts, read 9,671,459 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Within 2 hrs or less:
Philadelphia
Atlantic City
Most of the Jersey Shore
the Poconos
the Catskills
Hudson Valley
much of Long Island

2-3 hours:
Cape May
Delaware beaches
Baltimore
PA's Amish country
Saratoga
the Berkshires
Providence
Newport, RI
New London, CT
Mystic, CT
the Hamptons
Montauk Point

3-4 hours
Ocean City, MD
Chincoteague, VA
Washington, DC
Annapolis, MD
Harpers Ferry
the Pennsylvania "Wilds"
the Finger Lakes
Ithaca
Cooperstown
the Adirondacks
Lake George
Boston
Block Island

Within 4-5 hours
Charlottesville, VA (possible in 5 hrs, but unlikely)
Richmond, VA
Ohiopyle
PA's Allegheny Natl Forest
Syracuse
More of the Finger Lakes
Lake Placid
Killington, VT
Green Mtns of Vermont
Manchester, NH
Portsmouth, NH
Cape Cod (probably can't get to the end of the cape in under 5 hrs)
Martha's Vineyard

If you extend the reach to 6 hrs you can get to a lot more places
Wiliamsburg, VA
deep into the Shenandoah Valley
West Virginia mountains
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Montreal, PQ
Burlington, VT
Stowe, VT
Lake Winnepesaukee, NH
White Mtns of NH
Portland, ME
Provincetown, MA
Nantucket
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,262 posts, read 7,770,281 times
Reputation: 2912
All of New Jersey

NYC is 15 minutes.
Philadelphia is almost 2 hours
The whole Jersey Shore
all of Long Island
The Whole Hudson Valley up to Plattsburgh (Canada Border)
Baltimore= 3 hours
Washington DC= almost 4 hours
Boston= over 3 hours
Providence= about 3hours
All of Connecticut
All of Rhode Island
All Of Massachusetts
Syracuse= almost 4 hours
Rochester= 5 hours
All of Delaware
All of Maryland
Some Spots along the Chesapeake Bay
Much of Vermont
Portland Maine is around 5 hours away
The Poconos in PA

Last edited by BPerone201; 11-08-2009 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 4,233,440 times
Reputation: 1661
Default It's truly amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
This.
living in the NYC Metro area. Not just for want is available in the city, but a few hours drive of it.

My daughters played travel sports and we have been to just about all these places (and for vacations).

If you can get there (not very far away), go to the Hudson Valley region. Absolutely beautiful in all seasons. One my favorite places in all of NYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top