U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,868 times

Advertisements

Would really love some information on possible relocation to New England. My fiance is an ERYT yoga teacher with 10+ years experience teaching in North & South Carolina (native of CA) and I spent several years working in Northern VA as a Sr. Executive Assistant to a large developer (prior to living in New Zealand for a few years). I am currently the administrative advisor to a non-profit conservation group while I am finishing my Associates in Business Admin.

Currently we live in Pinehurst, NC and would like to take some time living in the New England area. My fiance has done alot of training in MA and fell in love with the Berkshires. I'm not a real big fan of bitter cold, would prefer an area with mild winters and lots of rolling green farmland, much like the area of Virginia were I was raised (Loudoun County).

We would really love to live in a close-knit community (soon to have children) that has alot of antiquity, liberal-minded and a good locale for a yoga instructor. I use to ballroom dance and fence so I'd like to live close to some nice studios/community centers that offer a variety of hobbies. A charming, historic town with cobblestone streets, pubs, gas lamp lighting, beautiful old buildings would be the dream (I loved England and would like to live in a town with a similar feel to that of the quaint villages there).

It would be good to be within an hour commute if necessary for me to find adequate work (I do buy and sell fine art as a hobby, an area with a large antiques/art market would be very ideal as I would like to spend more time in the future investing in my own business). Prefer an area that is kind to the pocketbook as well (we love really old homes with character, have no need for an expensive new home). We also have a little furry pipsqueak, finding a nice pet-friendly environment is also important.

I'd welcome any advice on all the NE states, we do plan to make a few trips up this year for me to get a feel.....right now I'm just trying to get a jump start on designating areas based on our interests/needs. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
What about a community like New Paltz, NY? It's near the Catskills and not too far from NYC. Here's some info.:

Community of New Paltz, NY
Welcome to New Paltz, NY - The Heart of Ulster County
New Paltz Chamber of Commerce 2009
HV/Net - Hudson Valley Network
Town of New Paltz, NY

Old 11-09-2009, 01:24 PM

ckhthankgod,

What a beautiful area! Thank you very much for your posting, I've started looking at the links you provided (I simply love those old, stone buildings!).....one of my favorite little towns in Virginia was Middleburg. Close enough in to commute to metro DC, far enough out to enjoy historic architecture, quaint shops and surrounded by some of the prettiest horse farms in the state....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:09 AM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
When you talk about New England, and describe your ideal place a quaint, with cobblestone streets, that kind of look, I'm thinking Portsmouth. I don't know how well the area meets your preference for avoiding cold, snowy winters, but you're not going to escape that completely in most of New England. Portland would be similar, but it's that much farther north, that much colder (still relatively mild due to its location on the coast, but with emphasis on that word relatively).

Southern coastal New England will generally have the mildest winters in the region, but some of the really nice towns are expensive. If you can find something in your price range, you might check out Mystic, CT. You also might find some elements of that quaintness you're looking for in Sandwich, MA, though again that area could be somewhat expensive depending on your definition of affordable.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,983 times
Out of curiosity, do you mean solely New England or also other Northeastern states like NY?

As ogre mentioned, I think it's going to be difficult to find exactly what you want at an affordable price. But there are a few possibilities that come to mind...

Some of the towns on the North Shore in Massachusetts - particularly the Newburyport / Ipswich area. These towns sound like an almost perfect fit, except that the real estate tends to be quite pricey and the farmland is pretty flat (not exactly "rolling").

A similar option is Newport, Rhode Island - if the mystifying Old World charm is overshadowed by the busy touristiness of the place, then there are plenty of charming old towns around Narragansett Bay - Jamestown, Wickford, Tiverton, and Little Compton all come to mind. The farms literally roll right into the ocean. But again, we're talking about prime real estate here.

Portsmouth, NH is another great recommendation for Old World charm, but again we have mostly flat coastal area -- and once you start heading up that way, the winter gets more severe. But the climate is still more temperate than most of inland New England.

For true rolling hills and somewhat milder winter weather, I would probably advise you to look at Connecticut and western MA. You're more likely to find village greens and white steeple churches than cobblestone streets and gas lamps, but you could check out the Litchfield Hills region in northwest CT (maybe Litchfield itself?). In the northeastern corner of the state, you might consider looking into Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, or Canterbury, although these are all quite small.

I assume the Berkshires have the kind of landscape you're looking for, but not necessarily the climate? If you head slightly east to the flatter Pioneer Valley, you might be interested in Deerfield and/or Northampton. Just some possibilities.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Thank you!

I just want to thank everyone for all the options! I've been researching NY more as well (so I am keeping it very much open as an option)....

Two major factors for staying on the east coast, we're both extremely close to our families and having lived five years in CO....I hate not being close to the ocean! We have considered No. CA/Oregon/Washington for mild winters but there again, to far off from our families.

I will look forward to checking out the towns mentioned and thank you all again for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or