U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,456,800 times

Advertisements

A. Sometimes, you have a long-running show that is great because it has all the right pieces in place. The people, the history, great locale, etc. It's consistent.

B. Sometimes, you have a long-running show that has run its course. The people who made it great initially have moved along or have tired of it. You can create new energy with new people, and sometimes it will reinvent itself. Other times, the wrong people start running the show, and the show suffers or they run it into the ground.

C. Sometimes, you have a newer show that seems to be all the hype. People want to learn more about it. Everyone says it's the new "it" show. Sometimes it will grow into something lasting, sometimes it will fade. Other times it will grow to be so popular that it will surpass the popularity of other popular long-running shows.

D. Sometimes, you have a show that's sat in the background. It wasn't necessarily a "hyped" show, but it continued to lure more viewers slowly and surely, until one day it became a quite noticeable show.

Which cities do you believe fall into each of these categories?

Last edited by AZLiam; 11-09-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,100 times
A. NYC, Chicago, Boston, Minneapolis, DC, Denver

B. Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis

C. Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte

D. Tampa, Louisville, Nashville (arguably could be put in cat C), Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Denver (arguably a type "C" or "A" though)

These are all debatable though. I'm still trying to figure out Los Angeles and SF. Some people will argue that they are an "A" type, but you have plenty of former Californians who have moved elsewhere and are all too eager to point out California's economic issues in a sort of schadenfreude.

Category D was a bit hard for me because there are cities that are growing, but not at the hyped-up growth of the Category C cities. Tampa is fast growing, but it almost always seems to be overshadowed by the hype of South Florida and Orlando. Orlando and Las Vegas to me could arguably become Category "B" cities due to the overdependence of a service based economy and only depending on growth to fuel the economy rather than focus on diversifying the overall economy. Vegas has suffered quite a bit during the foreclosure crisis.

I'm still trying to figure out Denver. It has grown rapidly, but not as rapidly as the sunbelt cities. It gets a lot of hype, but it seems to be quite a "comfortable" place in many ways.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,140,226 times
A. New York
B. New Orleans
C. Atlanta
D. Houston

Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
A. New York
B. New Orleans
C. Atlanta
D. Houston

Do you say "D" for Houston because yes, it's been growing pretty fast, but it doesn't seem to get the hype of Dallas, Atlanta or even Austin? I've always felt Houston has been under-the-radar.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Do you say "D" for Houston because yes, it's been growing pretty fast, but it doesn't seem to get the hype of Dallas, Atlanta or even Austin? I've always felt Houston has been under-the-radar.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM

218 posts, read 1,157,646 times
Why does everyone say New Orleans for B? Do you believe it falls under the category of a city that will reinvent itself or be run into the ground?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
Why does everyone say New Orleans for B? Do you believe it falls under the category of a city that will reinvent itself or be run into the ground?
New Orleans does actually have a chance to reinvent itself, but given the history of corruption and self-serving politicians in the area, who's to say? I certainly hope that New Orleans can reinvent itself, but I've always saw New Orleans as a city whose best days were long ago (it was once the Largest City in the South).

Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM

It's already been driven into the ground and is reinventing itself as we type.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It's already been driven into the ground and is reinventing itself as we type.
Yeah, they have nowhere to go but up

Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 PM

218 posts, read 1,157,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
New Orleans does actually have a chance to reinvent itself, but given the history of corruption and self-serving politicians in the area, who's to say? I certainly hope that New Orleans can reinvent itself, but I've always saw New Orleans as a city whose best days were long ago (it was once the Largest City in the South).
I'd disagree that New Orleans has nowhere to go but up, at least in terms of a tourist destination and historical city. It's still a very well preserved and culturally rich city, and Katrina luckily spared some of the most historic areas. As far as walkable, dynamic and tourist-friendly central cities go, as a destination, I'd say it's the best outside of the oft-cited large major cities (New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia). I think it's the only city in the south (not just the "deep south", but literally the whole south) that can compare. Places like LA and Miami simply don't have the same feel, they're more "suburban cities" as they've been coined on here. Orlando and Las Vegas are different types of tourist destinations and are also not comparable.

In terms of crime, I would agree. It's terrible. Actually, mostly in terms of murder...I think as far as other crimes go, it's still bad, but normally bad for an American city. But the murder rates are off the charts (FBI I believe made an estimate of 95 per 100 000 for 2008, the city's estimate was somewhere closer to 60 per 100 000). I think the vast majority of these murders have not victimised people outside of young poor black youth (particularly gang members), but I'm not sure how much this has impacted the rest of New Orleans. And from what I saw of Ray Nagin and reports of certain incidents involving NOPD, I can believe that the local authorities (both governmental and police) are quite corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or