U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM

594 posts, read 950,053 times

Advertisements

Here in the U.S., sales taxes are not included in the price except for Gasoline, and very few other goods. Okay, maybe most of us know how much the sale tax is in their states and maybe some other certain states, but most of us don't know what items are taxed or not, and it's various in different states. For tourists, it's even harder. Okay, I understand that it's not that hard to just add couple of dollars or cents to the price, but not all of us might have extra money, or know how much the total price would be. It's much easier & better to have taxes & fees INCLUDED in the price of the item like it is in Europe!

Example:

On the sign, it says the price of an Ice-Cream is $2,99. Then, it tells you to pay $3.20 on the cash register. WHY NOT PUT $3.20 ON THE SIGN WHEN YOU PAY THAT MUCH?! I would have rather payed $3.50 than $3.20 if they included tax on the price!!!

Last edited by PalmBch; 11-09-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,199,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Here in the U.S., sales taxes are not included in the price except for Gasoline, and very few other goods. Okay, maybe most of us know how much the sale tax is in their states and maybe some other certain states, but most of us don't know what items are taxed or not, and it's various in different states. For tourists, it's even harder. Okay, I understand that it's not that hard to just add couple of dollars or cents to the price, but not all of us might have extra money, or know how much the total price would be. It's much easier & better to have taxes & fees INCLUDED in the price of the item!
Let me guess... like it is in Europe?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydand View Post
let me guess... Like it is in europe?
yes!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
I agree 100%. The worst is when you have cash and the sales plus the tax ends up being something like $10.14.

so you have to get $9.86 back in change instead of a $10 bill.

I remember the first time I went to Europe and right away noticed that everything is a flat out amount rounded to the nearest 5. I was like HOLY SH** - WHY AREN'T WE DOING THIS????

It's just such common sense. They only do it so you see $2.99 and think it's two dollars and something....not three.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,894,782 times
When I was a kid my parents would take me to California almost every year so we could visit our family in LA. It's a good 11-12 hour drive from where we live in Oregon, so we'd stop here and there. Well, one summer we had stopped to get gas somewhere in the Central Valley and I went inside the convenience store to buy water or something. When I got to the register I found out, much to may 6 year old dismay, that I didn't have enough money because of the sales tax! Luckily I had my parents there to give me another dollar.

I was startled more recently at a layover in SFO when I didn't have enough cash to buy a drink with my meal after I'd calculated I did have enough. Luckily I had my debit card on me. It had been a couple years since I'd had to buy anything besides gas out of state so I'd forgotten about that...

It is very misleading to me (as someone who's only lived in a no-sales tax state) and I don't think it's right to display prices before tax. I'd want to know how much of the price is tax, but I don't want to carry around a calculator with me either. Oh, and plus various localities have varying tax rates from the state... It's so confusing. Keep it simple... Just include the tax in the price displayed next to the product. Not always possible to advertise it with the tax, but at least in the store show the price with the tax!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,298,871 times
I like it our way better. This way you know how much the government is hosing you.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,484,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like it our way better. This way you know how much the government is hosing you.
Why can't they just put it on the receipt like they do here?

There's no mistaking the GST, it's right there at the bottom of the docket.

It's interesting that some of you folks don't like it because I have to say it's one of the most confusing things for me whilst I'm there, coming from a country where the tax is included. I assumed that you guys must like it that way.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
^ they put it on the receipt everywhere, including the USA

Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
RECEIPT!!
Eh, They should still put on the receipt how much tax was charged.
We have

Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Why can't they just put it on the receipt like they do here?

There's no mistaking the GST, it's right there at the bottom of the docket.

It's interesting that some of you folks don't like it because I have to say it's one of the most confusing things for me whilst I'm there, coming from a country where the tax is included. I assumed that you guys must like it that way.

No, we don't like it and it stinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or