U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,387,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Any of smaller California cities, with the exception of maybe Bakersfield and Fresno.
Surprisingly to outsiders who think it is a just conservative city, Fresno has a public and active gay community. Yes there is also a conservative element in the city but Fresno has more diversity in many ways than people hear about.

Fresno's Reel Pride founded in 1990 is one of the oldest GLBT film festivals in California (Sacramento's started after they found out Fresno had one ), one of the oldest gay pride parades in the state, and more.

Fresno Reel Pride
Fresno Rainbow Pride - A Project of Community Link, A GLBT Community Service Organization - Fresno, CA
Central California Alliance
Gay Fresno
Fresno Stonewall Democrats
Welcome to the Imperial Dove Court Fresno/Madera Inc. Website
Golden State Bears of Fresno, CA - Main Page

It may not fit the desires of the OP or others in this thread, but Fresno is also broader than many might realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:28 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
I think Atlanta makes sense too; it meets your criteria and has the third highest lgbt percentage. There are places in Atlanta like Grant Park and Decatur with a very large and vibrant lgbt populations, while having less exhausing paces of life and better costs of living than the city's top gayborhood: Midtown Atlanta.
One trend I have observed is the migration of the gay community in large number to the suburbs. After all, many of them want just what straight couples are looking for as well...more house for the $, and the bucolic existence that suburban life can offer. Far and away more of my gay friends (granted, most I know are 40+) are living outside the city limits rather than within.
I thought it was interesting when I looked on the C-D list of communities, the suburban Atlanta neighborhood of North Druid Hills (in unincorporated DeKalb County) was ranked as the highest in the metro in terms of same-sex male couples living together as a % of the general population. It was also ranked 10th in the nation.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
The OP describes is self-described as smart and "hot." This maybe unfair, but I'm not sure pretention is high on the list of things he's trying to avoid.
I AM smart and hot, yet contrary to what aspersions you bitterly jealously cast upon me, I am QUITE nonpretentious. HOOMPH and HAROOOMPH!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,951 times
I would like to thank all of the thoughtful and intelligent people who have taken their time to considerately respond to my inquiry. There are many fine cities among your suggestions featuring many compelling reasons for further investigation. While Atlanta and Seattle are wonderful cities, they have become too big for what I am looking for. Plus I would not enjoy the excessive precipitation in Seattle. Since living in LA for almost a decade, I have become a huge fan of a relatively winterless climate. Austin and Palm Springs will be the initial places I will look into more comprehensively. However, Denver, in spite of it's 4 season (and snowy but dry) winter climate, has also piqued my interest.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM

111 posts, read 295,492 times
I'm not sure about the economy, but Saugatuck Michigan is very cultured and scenic. Though it's a small town, there's a notable gay/lesbian presence there.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 AM

305 posts, read 364,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartHotGay43 View Post
I have spent most of my adult life in New York and Los Angeles and I have just about had it with the high cost of living, exhaustive pace of life, competitiveness, pollution, overcrowding, and commitment phobia. I will consider any place in the world where there is a modicum of sophistication, tolerance, and a decent local economy.
Minneapolis.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 AM

14 posts, read 19,113 times
It will be impossible to find the combination of excitement and weather of Los Angeles/Orange County. If you are willing to accept a more sedate lifestyle then there are a lot of options. Commitment phobia is everywhere though, especially in the life. Sorry, my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or