Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,786,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thats the point I'm trying to make. Not all Gay people are flamboyant nor are in your face.
And to be fair, I didn't see where YoungFresh&New said that they were. Others seemed to assume that she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,660,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And to be fair, I didn't see where YoungFresh&New said that they were. Others seemed to assume that she did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFresh&New View Post
I'm not trying to avoid completely but certain cities create communities specifically for certain lifestyles (like san fransisco) and Atlanta is one of those cities.

But enough about this. I'm trying to move somewhere safely!
Quote:
Well...Atlanta is a little too flamboyant for me and my fiance. We prefer to not raise a future family around that type of activity.

DC is nothing more then a district so that means location in VA or MD, which imo, isn't truly southern. I hope this doesn't offend.
Quote:
haha! Trust me, I've been "token" all my life! I'm grateful for the networking power I acquired but I'd rather live with the community. I'm a marketing major (BA) by the way. As for GA...sigh..besides the trannies and flashy lifestyle I've seen during my numerous trips to Georgia...the market is WAY too flooded. I'd rather work with a city that needs the new blood and will not put me on the back burner. Atlanta, with all it's spendor, defienity has become competitive whereas places like Charolette (suffering from the mistake of putting all it's steam into the finance industry) needs the help to diversify their industries.

I've had friends who graduated from Howard U. They saw the "well-to-do" are quite stuck up
Quote:
I'm not trying to avoid completely but certain cities create communities specifically for certain lifestyles (like san fransisco) and Atlanta is one of those cities.

But enough about this. I'm trying to move somewhere safely!

so none of these responses above makes you think she's talking about the gay community in general vs. a few members of the community?

whats hypocritical is that she wants to stay away from the "flamboyant" community yet wants to find a city with a large African American presence. Last time I checked my African American friends are some of the most verbose and expressive people I know.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,829,767 times
Raleigh NC.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
so none of these responses above makes you think she's talking about the gay community in general vs. a few members of the community?
I suppose if you're trying to be offended, you've found enough proof for satisfaction.

Quote:
whats hypocritical is that she wants to stay away from the "flamboyant" community yet wants to find a city with a large African American presence. Last time I checked my African American friends are some of the most verbose and expressive people I know.
How does "verbose" and "expressive" equal "flamboyant" in the gay sense of the word??? Your line of thinking on this point makes no sense to me and is borderline stereotypical (loud Black woman, hand on hips, rolling her neck, sucking her teeth, etc.).

Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I suppose if you're trying to be offended, you've found enough proof for satisfaction.

How does "verbose" and "expressive" equal "flamboyant" in the gay sense of the word??? Your line of thinking on this point makes no sense to me and is borderline stereotypical (loud Black woman, hand on hips, rolling her neck, sucking her teeth, etc.).
I'm trying to be stereotypical here on purpose to prove a point! just like not all of the gay community is flamboyant, not all of African American community does what you listed.

I mean would it be perfectly acceptable to you for me to say I went to southside during labor day and what a mistake that was!!! now I'm looking for a city where I can be away from the African American community because I don't want to raise my children around that?

I think you are being a bit naive. it was clear what the OP meant and wanted to say, she was just trying to be "politically correct" about it which failed and clearly she's offended numerous people not just me.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-13-2009 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM

23,314 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
I'm trying to be stereotypical here on purpose to prove a point! just like not all of the gay community is flamboyant, not all of African American community does what you listed.

I mean would it be perfectly acceptable to you for me to say I went to southside during labor day and what a mistake that was!!! now I'm looking for a city where I can be away from the African American community because I don't want to raise my children around that?

I think you are being a bit naive. it was clear what the OP meant and wanted to say, she was just trying to be "politically correct" about it which failed and clearly she's offended numerous people not just me.
I'm actually kind of sorry that I called her out on it. I may not like the attitude, but on the other hand I challenged some people on another thread that were attacking a poster for inquiring about majority white communities in south GA. I said that we weren't here to give value judgments but to offer relevant information. So I guess I need to follow my own rules.
Having said that, it occurs to me that a young, ambitious and educated AA might find fulfillment in today's New Orleans, a city rapidly growing and on the mend...there would be great satisfaction in being a part of its' renaissance, I should think.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm actually kind of sorry that I called her out on it. I may not like the attitude, but on the other hand I challenged some people on another thread that were attacking a poster for inquiring about majority white communities in south GA. I said that we weren't here to give value judgments but to offer relevant information. So I guess I need to follow my own rules.
Having said that, it occurs to me that a young, ambitious and educated AA might find fulfillment in today's New Orleans, a city rapidly growing and on the mend...there would be great satisfaction in being a part of its' renaissance, I should think.
LoveinD. Nicely said, however I must inform you that New Orleans hosts Gay Mardi Gras and loads of gay gatherings every year..... what to do where to live and also you have much more patience then I do, I have no tolerance for "closeted" ignorance.

back to what the OP was looking for. In all honesty if you want to avoid the "gays" then a medium-large city is not your best option. Maybe places like Macon or Boluxi?

I can honestly tell you that in the south New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, DC, Richmond, VA Beach, Raleigh-Durham, Savannah, Charleston all have a decently sized and visible gay communities. You might want to avoid these areas.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,730,514 times
Quote:
I may be mistaken but I don't think she was using the word "preference" in regards to sexuality, but in regards to the neighborhood or type of town she'd like to live in--at least that's how I read it. But even if she's not, it's still a legitimate point. I'm not going to beat up a White person if he/she chooses not to live in a mixed or majority Black neighborhood. I see no need to expend energy on that. And neither will beating up on this particular poster as to what she desires in a place to live actually change her mind about what she desires in a neighborhood. That's the beauty of America; we've all got freedom.
Yeah...I see. It's okay as long as it isn't you that's being disparaged.

This isn't simply someone looking for a place to live among similar people. It's obvious to me that it's someonewho doesn't like gay people and wants to live in a gay-free place. Sorry, but there isn't a place that fits her needs...gay people are allowed to live anywhere they want, and she won't usually be able to tell who is and who isn't - so all I can say is...good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah...I see. It's okay as long as it isn't you that's being disparaged.
Not at all. That thread that LovinDecatur referred to where a person asked about majority White towns in south Georgia was one that I perused and I really didn't care that the poster didn't prefer to live in a town with a significantly-sized Black population. I think one of the problems with the Black community these days is that too many times, we look to be offended. But I digress because I'd be here all night with that one. And just in case you didn't pick up on it, I'm Black.

Quote:
This isn't simply someone looking for a place to live among similar people. It's obvious to me that it's someonewho doesn't like gay people and wants to live in a gay-free place. Sorry, but there isn't a place that fits her needs...gay people are allowed to live anywhere they want, and she won't usually be able to tell who is and who isn't - so all I can say is...good luck!
To me, it doesn't seem like she had a problem with gay people in general, just the flamboyant element of it. And frankly, that's her prerogative, just like some people don't want to live among the more "hip hop" segment of the Black community, other Blacks included.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
I can't speak for the OP, but if she thinks there are no gay folks in the cities she's considering, she'd be quite naive. But suffice it to say that the gay populations in the cities she's looking at aren't nearly as big as that in Atlanta because the cities themselves are smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.