U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

18 posts, read 30,364 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data,

I'm new here, forgive me if this question is redundant but as an African American graduate I would like to know which southern cites are best for my demographic? I'm fairly young, under 25, and looking for a place BESIDES Atlanta that offers great opportunity and potential in the long run.

It would be a plus if the city included an active African American community but it's not a deal breaker.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
A lot of this will depend on your chosen career field, but Charlotte, Raleigh, Houston, Dallas, and Nashville are all good options. Just make sure you line up a job first before you move.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,505,228 times
I don't mean to criticize your exclusion of Atlanta, but what exactly is it about Atlanta that you don't like?

Atlanta and Washington, DC seem to be by far the best options for a young, African-American professional that wants to meet similar people. I don't wish to start a flame war, but Washington, DC is, after all, a historically Southern city. If I had to name a third city, it would be Houston.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Why did you pick those cities?

FYI...Texas and Tennessee are out of the question, I like warm weather but those places are on the extreme spectrum of dry air and humidity. Well I checked out Charlotte and Raleigh but something bothers about the numbers (like Charlotte's crime rate).

My field would fit into these areas because from my previous research these are some of the most undeveloped areas...especially with the African American population. However, I just want people to speak on how they feel which is best to give me perspective.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't mean to criticize your exclusion of Atlanta, but what exactly is it about Atlanta that you don't like?

Atlanta and Washington, DC seem to be by far the best options for a young, African-American professional that wants to meet similar people. I don't wish to start a flame war, but Washington, DC is, after all, a historically Southern city. If I had to name a third city, it would be Houston.

Well...Atlanta is a little too flamboyant for me and my fiance. We prefer to not raise a future family around that type of activity.

DC is nothing more then a district so that means location in VA or MD, which imo, isn't truly southern. I hope this doesn't offend.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,505,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFresh&New View Post
Well...Atlanta is a little too flamboyant for me and my fiance. We prefer to not raise a future family around that type of activity.
What do you mean by "flamboyant"? Are you referring to all of the gays in Midtown? To ostentatious displays of wealth manifested in purchases of huge McMansions and SUV's (in the suburbs, mainly)?

Quote:
DC is nothing more then a district so that means location in VA or MD, which imo, isn't truly southern. I hope this doesn't offend.
You don't offend me, but the reason I am asking you all of these specific questions is to find out what you actually want. What is it about "the South" that you like so much? I've heard other people say that Northern Virginia isn't truly the South, so that one isn't new to me.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
FYI...Texas and Tennessee are out of the question, I like warm weather but those places are on the extreme spectrum of dry air and humidity. Well I checked out Charlotte and Raleigh but something bothers about the numbers (like Charlotte's crime rate).
As with any place, it all boils down to the particular neighborhood when it comes to crime. Charlotte and Raleigh are particularly known as magnets for young professionals and young families.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM

As someone born and raised in the south, the states that border the Mason-Dixon really aren't seen as southern from a cultural point of view. However, if you just want to point it out on the map DC is in the south. What i'm saying is a city within the LA-NC range.

As for Atlanta, it's all what you described plus the market there is too flooded from all of those who relocated. I've been visiting that place since 2000 and it seems the people are dropping in faster then the actual development.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As with any place, it all boils down to the particular neighborhood when it comes to crime. Charlotte and Raleigh are particularly known as magnets for young professionals and young families.
Do you know which neighborhood in Charlotte create such high crime? I couldn't believe the numbers looking at that Black Enterprise list. It made me look at my other options quick!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Do you know which neighborhood in Charlotte create such high crime? I couldn't believe the numbers looking at that Black Enterprise list. It made me look at my other options quick!
Mostly the east and west sides of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or