U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,970,506 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify, my post was in response to the original pre-moved thread on the NH forum. I definitely don't think that Portsmouth has a monopoly on beautiful historical residential neighborhoods.

I agree with pretty much all of the other recommendations. These are the ones that jump to mind for me:

Newport, RI
Portsmouth, NH
Newburyport, MA
Ipswich, MA
Wickford, RI
Providence, RI (College Hill)
Boston, MA (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Charlestown, South End)
Marblehead, MA
Wiscasset, ME
Camden, ME
Salem, MA

...among many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,423,541 times
Default And in Maine

On the downeast coast
Castine
Belfast
Stonington
Camden
Wiscasset
Blue Hill

I don't know southern Me well so I'm leaving that to others.

In NH, Portsmouth for sure.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM

72 posts, read 263,794 times
Default Please give it your best shot anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
This question is way too subjective. Every poster in here is partial to our own coastal towns. To suggest that one may be be more beautiful or more historic than another would be ludicrous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Agreed and understood... We were not trying to achieve a definitive #1 answer --- that would be impossible.

We were hoping to get a range of answers, from various people, with various backgrounds, to give us a good idea of historic towns to zoom in on, when we retire in 2 years. And from all the other posts it looks like we succeeded.

So do you have your own, personal, subjective favorite???
tg9999
The Thread Starter

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM

87 posts, read 211,169 times
Rye, N.H.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,503,695 times
These are some really good suggestions. I have one more to add: Rockport, Mass. Beautiful little town!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 37,667 times
Default Considering Maine?

As historic preservationists you would appreciate the historic village of Castine. But let me as a Blue Hill native and present part-time resident discourage you from considering my town unless you're gluttons for punishment.

I just came back from the long holiday weekend and am totally dispirited by what I saw.

Hideous, overscaled, outrageously inappropriate replacements of the historic Legion Hall's wooden porch columns. Ugly, poorly chosen, cheap, badly-colored brick that bears no relation not only to what was there before but to the brick the building was constructed of in the first place. It's a travesty. I'm ashamed of Blue Hill for allowing it. It dishonors the town, dishonors veterans, dishonors the memory of the students and teachers who used the building when it was still a school - my mother among them. I don't think it's too strong to say that the people who should be publicly shamed for perpetrating such a disgrace aren't capable of feeling shame - the very existence of the damn things proves as much.

And where was the planning board? The building is in a historic district and changes like this need to be reviewed, wouldn't you think? Even to just "rubber stamp" them, which seems to be all they do? How could even that crowd have let this happen? I think their collective eye must have been off the ball because of the Shoreland District business - but there's no excuse whatsoever, in my mind, for such a lapse.

I'm sick of this kind of thing happening to my town. Aesthetics ARE important. The people who run Blue Hill are supposed to be good stewards yet example after example is piling up that shows none of them are really up to the job.

My advice? If you like "pretty", look elsewhere! Blue Hill is uglying itself up at an astounding pace - yet nobody seems to care~!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
has anyone vacationed in belfast, maine

Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,055,973 times
Maine has all sorts of cutesy, quaint coastal towns.

I love Portsmouth and Rye New Hampshire... arguably one of the most underrated areas on the East Coast.

Newburyport, Rockport, Gloucester and almost all of MA's North Shore.

The Southcoast of Massachusetts is highly underrated. Particularly, Fairhaven MA, Central New Bedford MA, Padanaram MA, and Westport MA.

Newport RI and Little Compton RI are great too. Wickford was already mentioned.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Cohasset
That's me! Er, well next to me. I'm in Scituate, which is beautiful too.

Cohasset

Cohasset Common

Atlantic Avenue and Jerusalem Road line the coast of Cohasset, and are the location of many beautiful homes.

Atlantic Avenue

Jerusalem Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or